Adam's Lair Forum

game development and casual madness
It is currently 2017/03/24, 10:15

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: 2016/09/02, 20:37 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Role: Professional
Something like Angry Birds shouldn't be too difficult when you stick to the core of it - if I recall correctly, it's basically just a fancy "throw this ball at a stack of rectangular things" game, and every 2D physics engine can do that. The tweaking and "gamifying" physics is likely the harder part. Physics are nice and good, but most games need to bend the rules a little to make it work for their concept. Definitely sounds like a fun project though!

Different topic: Was thinking about the issue of tutorials, documentation and spreading the word, and how to combine that with my regular dev work on Duality. How about I fire up a Discord channel with voice chat and screen sharing and work on one simple / small GitHub issue for an evening while you guys can join me and ask questions, make suggestions or observe how that stuff is done? Could also see whether I can simultaneously record it to put it up on YouTube as a resource for later.

Ideally, this would simultaneously:

• Give you an introduction into how to get stuff done in core and editor.
  • Be a Q&A platform.
  • Show newcomers what Duality is.
  • Create an "event"-like space that could attract people who are just curious.
  • Allow me to maybe get some smaller things done, or maybe not, we'll see xD

What do you think?

Edit: Apparently, Discord can't do screen sharing. Suggestions for alternatives? Is Twitch viable for something like this? Or rather Google Hangouts?

PostPosted: 2016/09/02, 21:19 

Role: Hobbyist
That would be amazing !

Too bad Discord can't do screensharing yet (they planned to do it, but no update since). It's nice because you can create several text and voice channels (but may not be super useful if it's a one-time event, unless you create an "official Duality server").

I don't really know about Twitch, but I saw there're gamedev stream in there. But I don't like the chat box. It's so tiny :(

IIRC Google Hangouts doesn't have the best sound quality. But that was awhile ago, don't take my word for it. And I don't really want to share my google account, or create a new one.

PostPosted: 2016/09/02, 21:24 
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Adam wrote:
What do you think?

This is a great idea :1+:
I'm totally in!

Maybe we could use an Discord-Channel as a better alternative for the IRC-Chat.
Discord runs on my computer all the time ^^

So when someone asks a good question in Discord we could put it into a wiki or something like that.
We also could use TeamViewer, because it has a build in "Meeting"-Mode for presentations.

Adam wrote:
Twitch

It would be absolutely awesome, if you could stream your work on duality.

Most of the Twitch-Streamer in the "Creative/Gamedev"-Section are using Unity3d. So.. maybe you can show them, that there exist other (better? xD) game engines beside Unity..?

Best regards,
Cross

PS: We should collect some ideas for tutorials, examples, etc. So everyone can pick a topic with witch he or she is most comfortable.

PostPosted: 2016/09/02, 21:41 

Cross wrote:
Discord runs on my computer all the time ^^

Me too ! That's a good start. Even if I don't know really much about Duality.

Cross wrote:
So when someone asks a good question in Discord we could put it into a wiki or something like that.

:+1:

Cross wrote:
PS: We should collect some ideas for tutorials, examples, etc. So everyone can pick a topic with witch he or she is most comfortable.

I thought of it too. Maybe create a sticky post, just like the plugin request ?

PostPosted: 2016/09/02, 22:17 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Cross wrote:

I like Discord, but we don't need two chat rooms with with some people in one and some in the other. We can consider switching from IRC to Discord entirely though. I'm not that familiar with it, is there a way to "protect" or "claim" a channel or server without paying for it? Also, is there a way to hotlink someone directly into a channel?

Edit: Whoops, accidentally clicked submit early. ^^ So Twitch would be one option, Google Hangouts could be worth a try as well. I'll check them out. Any others?

Edit2:
ChatPion wrote:
Cross wrote:

Don't want to add too many stickys. Let's try to do that in this thread for now.

PostPosted: 2016/09/02, 22:24 
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Adam wrote:
I like Discord, but we don't need two chat rooms with with some people in one and some in the other. We can consider switching from IRC to Discord entirely though. I'm not that familiar with it, is there a way to "protect" or "claim" a channel or server without paying for it? Also, is there a way to hotlink someone directly into a channel?

Discord is completely free.
You can define roles and set the permissions of each role and the chatrooms / voice-channels.

If you want I can help you setting up the Discord-Server... :)

Adam wrote:
We can consider switching from IRC to Discord entirely though

Yes please xD

PostPosted: 2016/09/04, 16:15 
Site Admin
Site Admin

ChatPion wrote:
Cross wrote:

Forget about my previous answer. A sticky post for collecting documentation requests totally makes sense and we don't have that many yet. Here you go.

PostPosted: 2016/09/04, 17:39 

Adam wrote:
ChatPion wrote:
Cross wrote:

Forget about my previous answer. A sticky post for collecting documentation requests totally makes sense and we don't have that many yet. Here you go.

Neat stuff :D