Switch to Gitter 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 6
 Post subject: IRC Chat Alternatives
PostPosted: 2016/09/03, 09:34 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Role: Professional
Hey there,

as mentioned here, we might replace the current IRC chat with something else. Here are the main two options that I'm considering right now:

• Discord offers voice and text chat, is targeted towards the gaming community and has a large user base. Signup is not required for joining.
  • Gitter is text-only, offers multiple channels and is targeted more towards developers. There's a lot of media sharing functionality that makes it easier to share code, logs and content. It is tied to a Twitter or GitHub account.

Both are free and accessible in the browser, and as far as I can see, both have a persistent chat history. Right now, I'm slightly in favor of Gitter as it's geared towards developer communities, but I'd like to hear other opinions as well.

PostPosted: 2016/09/03, 10:01 
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Role: Gamer
I'm thinking Discord would be easier for, say, a newcomer who doesn't have a GitHub or Twitter account to just drop in and ask around. Though the media-sharing of Gitter seems to be a plus-one for it, and the multiple channels.

Wait: I think you can upload files on Discord, too, as well as have multiple channels. Not sure, though.

PostPosted: 2016/09/03, 10:13 
Site Admin
Site Admin

hsnabn wrote:
I'm thinking Discord would be easier for, say, a newcomer who doesn't have a GitHub or Twitter account to just drop in and ask around. Though the media-sharing of Gitter seems to be a plus-one for it, and the multiple channels.

It also has a public API and supports integrating premade and custom tools similar to Slack. I've built a Slackbot before that alerted people about issues with stuff they checked into version control, and while that wouldn't be applicable here, it was quite straightforward and powerful. Overall, gitter seems pretty neat with regard to Open Source dev.

The point with newcomers stopping by is very valid, even though I would hope that most of Duality's target audience will already have either a GitHub or Twitter account. GitHub is pretty popular among devs and Twitter is pretty popular among gamedevs. It's still "another account", which definitely is a non-zero entry barrier.

One unmentioned point: Gitter, with its unlimited chat history, would be less casual than, say, IRC. May be both a pro and a con.

PostPosted: 2016/09/20, 20:52 
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Role: Hobbyist
Hey!

What's the current state of choosing a alternative for an IRC-Chat?

Discord? Gitter? :)

-Cross

PostPosted: 2016/09/21, 20:03 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Currently leaning slightly towards Gitter, but it's very close. Would be willing to set up either, but not both and kind of haven't decided yet. If some others have thoughts on this, feel free to join the discussion. Any input appreciated ^^

PostPosted: 2016/09/24, 09:00 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Allright, after checking out both Gitter and Discord, I'm now leaning a bit more towards Discord. Why?

• Gitter has a terrible UI. It always looks crowded and (by default) you can't see where you are, what rooms there are, it just feels like a mess. Discord feels clean and neat.
  • Discord doesn't require people to sign up before using it.
  • Discord provides voice channels that people can use if they want to and maybe, in some distant future, screen sharing.
  • Overall, Gitter has more of a professional "get work done" feel, while Discord feels more like a place to meet to do whatever, be it working together, learning or just talking about food and games.

So, let's give this a try. I'll be unavailable today due to a local game jam I'll be attending, but I've set up a server and generated a public invite link. Please let me know what you think, especially the ones who are already regulars in the IRC channel!

If we kept this Discord server and replaced the IRC one, would you be willing to switch as well? Why or why not? If you weren't in the chat before, could you now see yourself joining once in a while? Why or why not?

PostPosted: 2016/09/24, 12:07 

Discord's server are down now, but I'm joining when I can !

EDIT : It's up now !

PostPosted: 2016/09/25, 08:50 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Soo... any feedback? Anyone? ;) Keep IRC or switch to Discord?

Edit: I've edited the thread to be a poll about this topic. Please vote and leave a comment!

PostPosted: 2016/09/25, 09:51 
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Role: Gamer
I think keeping Discord might be the better idea.

PostPosted: 2016/09/25, 10:15 
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

+1 to discord.
I don't know how much conversation was going on on the IRC channel, and there is the new-thing-bias, but yesterday the discord channel was burning of the Duality-talk, so much that even the servers went down. :D
Joke aside, I think it's viability is proved.