Adam's Lair Forum

game development and casual madness
It is currently 2017/03/28, 04:34

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 206 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21
 Post subject: Re: Smalltalk
PostPosted: 2016/09/29, 12:59 

Role: Professional
I don't even know where to start. Well, here goes -

It is with a heavy heart that I have to step away from Duality game development. This is not a problem with Duality itself but rather due to recent events and working with Windows itself. I have since switched all my machines to Fedora-OS with only one laptop still running Windows 7 because changing it not my decision alone. With recent events and the head coders changing our databasing software from VB with MySQL to Java I guess it wont be long before the change over is complete.

To go into a bit more detail, we tried upgrading to Windows 8 but that did not work out great for anyone.
When 8.1 came around we tried it out on a few machines but it didn't seem to stick. The whole mobile meets desktop MetroUI was not use-able.
Recently we got and tested new (released in 2016) laptops with Windows 10 and it seem a bit sluggish.

On to the technical bits -
Over the years, I have kept and maintained custom versions of linux Oses for all my mobile devices and dual booted with Windows on PCs and laptops (I was still stuck on Win-7) for speed, security and well, because I'm a nerd. I tend to strip out any parts of the Main Distro that I do not need and add in my own specific mods to the core kernel. Following Windows 8 and 10, we seem to have lost a lot of freedom and become a part of one company's vision. I realised I am keeping windows for nostalgic reasons and nothing else.

There is nothing wrong at all with Microsoft or Windows in general, but for someone who tinkers a lot under the hood, a closed source OS is very restrictive.

Well, this forum has been very friendly and supportive but with the little time I have left-over from work and my other coding projects I don't think I can even dare to promise to port Duality to C++ or Linux itself.

PostPosted: 2016/09/29, 15:26 
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Role: Hobbyist
Hmmm.... Bummer. One more reason for us to make Dualitor a cross platform editor.
Wasn't there someone out there that made a Duality app run in Linux?

Well, one needs to start somewhere.

PostPosted: 2016/09/29, 23:38 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Role: Professional
Well.. alright then, on to new tech endeavors, I guess :) Wish you the best of luck and, more importantly, a lot of new stuff to try and experience to gain!

Goes without saying, but in case you feel like lurking around here anyway, please do!

eyeliner wrote:
Wasn't there someone out there that made a Duality app run in Linux?

Some testing has been done, see here and here. It's core only though, so the actual development will still have to happen on Windows - unless you're fine with just not using the editor, which is possible, but not what most users want from Duality I guess ^^

But yes, you're completely right: Making Duality, both core and editor, fully cross-platform should be on the long-term roadmap, and the sooner it happens, the better.

PostPosted: 2017/02/19, 21:11 
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

In order to improve my professional life, I will "return to school", and take head on a MCSA.
The courses are:

It's going to be great, I'll get much needed focus, and hopefully improve my professional side.

The way I see it, working in an outsourcing company is way too stressful, and frankly, I've already achieved my maximum in my current work. I'll just stagnate if I'm aroung longer.
So, the time is just right for me to embark on another project.

PostPosted: 2017/02/20, 11:36 
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Role: Gamer
eyeliner wrote:
The courses are:
Web development courses, yes?

PostPosted: 2017/02/20, 14:34 
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Yes, mostly, though two of them directly deal with C#. So there's the added bonus of web tech and C#.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 206 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21