Adam's Lair Forum

game development and casual madness
It is currently 2017/04/30, 20:35

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: 2014/02/19, 15:58 
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Role: Hobbyist
Just making small talk.. what kind of games do you like? what you don't like?

Want to be friends on Steam? my account is SirePi B) contact me! (can I ask here?)

Does anyone here play The Lord of the Rings Online? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 2014/02/19, 21:59 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Role: Professional
"What kind of game do you like?" is a surprisingly hard question, which I fail at answering on a regular basis. I really like story-rich and atmospheric games on one side, but on the other side I kind of want to hide how many hours my playtime counters for Civilization V and The Binding of Isaac read. So it's not all about story and atmosphere. Well. I'll just list some of the games I especially enjoyed and hope you'll get the picture :D

Quote:
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Half Life 2
The Stanley Parable
Portal 2
Civilization V
Mass Effect 2
Tribes: Ascend
Bioshock
LIMBO
Dear Esther
Bastion

If anyone of you hasn't had the chance to play The Stanley Parable, you should immediately close this browser window and buy it. In fact, you should probably buy it twice, just to be sure. And play it of course. Don't watch any Let's Play, though. It'll spoil the whole experience.

Right now I don't really play something specific. I'm kind of looking for a game along the lines of the Deus Ex listed above, but wasn't successful so far. Any suggestions appreciated.

PostPosted: 2014/02/20, 08:38 
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Haha, yes I understand what you mean..

For me, I agree with the "good story/setting above everything else" view.. I prefer strategy games (with 4X and turn-based preferred to RTS) and RPGs, then pretty much everything else, and at the last place, sport games. Then there is the setting: the less realistic the better. For this reason, I might still play something like Blood Bowl, if I had the time to learn all the rules.

Oh, and I like procedural stuff :mrgreen:

And this is my big problem.. I never thought it would be possible but I found that I can't have too many long gaming session as before and so it seems that recently I have moved to more action-oriented stuff, with no need to plan too much ahead or remember why I put that unit there and what I was hoping to achieve one week after :D

Still, the games of the last few years that come to the top of my head are (besides those of your list, which I have all played or are in my backlog):
  • Minecraft.. bought it before the alpha, enjoyed every second!
  • Terraria
  • FTL
  • the new Tomb Raider.. I never liked them, but I got it in bundle with my video card so I thought "why not?". I was surprised.
  • Saints Row 3 and 4.. I prefer it to GTA due to the sheer stupidity of the characters and setting
  • Mass Effect trilogy.. although I didn't play the 3 yet, and the reviews make me uncomfortable due to the supposed awful ending
  • Dragon Age:Origins and Awakening.. I believe DA2 had potential in the story and the mechanics but everything else made me cringe to finish it. Hopefully DA:Inquisition will bring the series back.
  • Borderlands
  • Reus
  • Dishonored
  • X-Com
  • EDIT: forgot Skyrim!

There are still many others but I feel these are my favorite of the last couple years. Unfortunately, as I said, not too many strategy games :(

And then there is The Lord of the Rings Online, which I use mostly to keep in touch with a couple of friends.

Adam wrote:
I'm kind of looking for a game along the lines of the Deus Ex listed above, but wasn't successful so far. Any suggestions appreciated.

Along the lines of Deus Ex I think you could try Dishonored.. the setting is great, the story good, although a little cliché, and the visuals do their part. I think you could see it as a Victorian / steampunk Deus Ex :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 2014/02/20, 10:09 
Site Admin
Site Admin

SirePi wrote:
Adam wrote:
I'm kind of looking for a game along the lines of the Deus Ex listed above, but wasn't successful so far. Any suggestions appreciated.

Along the lines of Deus Ex I think you could try Dishonored.. the setting is great, the story good, although a little cliché, and the visuals do their part. I think you could see it as a Victorian / steampunk Deus Ex :mrgreen:

Already played that (and highly anticipated because of its to setting!), and it was quite good, but not good enough for the list above. Good atmosphere, solid gameplay, but kind of a cliché story unfortunately. I still liked it though. Also, I though the heart was a nice touch. You know, the item you could carry around and hear "a secret" whenever you felt like it :D I felt like it actually added depth to the overall setting and world.

PostPosted: 2014/02/20, 12:16 
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

This one looks interesting..
http://postmodsoftworks.com/

PostPosted: 2014/09/28, 22:37 

I can't think any game that's similar to deus ex in any way, It's way too unique.

Here is my little list of the games i've recently been playing.

Rogue Trooper
Twisted Insurrection( CnC: Tiberian Sun mod)
Age of Empires 3
Terraria
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl
Arcanum: Steamworks of Magick Obscura
Fallout Tactics (I can't play the osceola mission, the general is bugged i think.)

PostPosted: 2014/10/02, 23:48 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I guess I'll have to add "FTL Captain's Edition" to the list. Absorbs a lot of free time. Again.

PostPosted: 2014/10/07, 11:15 

Hmm well let's list some of the games i played for quite a long time :D

Elements the Game
Burnout Paradise
Terraria
Minecraft (Since Alpha)
Star Conflict
Vindictus
Runes of Magic
Warframe
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning (such a good game, i don't know why it has such a low popularity. i spent about 90h+ in this game and still did not finish the main storyline)
Assassins Creed (i actually liked most of them, but the least Revelation and AC3. Black Flag ftw)
Darksiders 2
FarCry 3

yeah a lot of stuff D: some mainstream, some unknown by most. also, probably very diverse in genre and focus^^

PostPosted: 2014/10/07, 11:31 
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Neicul wrote:
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

Just started playing it.. looks really nice, if somewhat repetitive (and I don't like how you can't avoid some attacks >:( especially those damn Ettin WarPriests), but it's a good time waster :D I understand why they call it a "single player MMORPG"

as always I started with the idea of making a pure melee fighter.. and now I'm going around with a 2-handed sword, magical chakrams and casting lightning while stealing anything that is not bolted to the floor :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 2014/10/07, 11:46 
Site Admin
Site Admin

SirePi wrote:
while stealing anything that is not bolted to the floor :mrgreen:

Ah, the spirit of RPG games :D