Adam's Lair Forum

game development and casual madness
It is currently 2017/04/30, 03:14

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 206 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21  Next
 Post subject: Smalltalk
PostPosted: 2015/03/02, 11:56 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Role: Professional
I was just about to spam skoggy's project thread with off-topic trivia, so I figured we could use a distinct Offtopic thread for stuff like that. It's sticky, doesn't really have a topic and free for you to use for random stuff that comes to your mind.

Post subject: Re: Smalltalk
PostPosted: 2015/03/02, 11:58 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Remember when I upgraded my video drivers because that NVidia dialog told me so? Bad decision. :omg:

Soon after I updated my graphics drivers, Windows complained that "the drivers crashed in kernel mode" when doing nothing special, just regular business. Bluescreens followed. I didn't update my drivers for a long time before, so it was likely the version gap and my rusty old video card. Downgrading the drivers again yielded no results, so I figured re-installing the machine could help.

After doing that, funny colored lines appeared all over the screen and that's when it dawned to me that my video card might be broken. I ordered a new one, re-installed again (because I screwed up something in the process) and now, two weeks later, I am finally back again with my desktop machine and will probably refuse to upgrade my video drivers ever again. xD

Up until now, I was pretty sure that drivers couldn't break physical hardware, and I'm still not convinced that this was the cause.. but the timing was just weirdly fitting. Any experience with this?

PostPosted: 2015/03/02, 22:13 
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Role: Gamer
Adam wrote:
Remember when I upgraded my video drivers because that NVidia dialog told me so? Bad decision. :omg:

Soon after I updated my graphics drivers, Windows complained that "the drivers crashed in kernel mode" when doing nothing special, just regular business. Bluescreens followed. I didn't update my drivers for a long time before, so it was likely the version gap and my rusty old video card. Downgrading the drivers again yielded no results, so I figured re-installing the machine could help.

After doing that, funny colored lines appeared all over the screen and that's when it dawned to me that my video card might be broken. I ordered a new one, re-installed again (because I screwed up something in the process) and now, two weeks later, I am finally back again with my desktop machine and will probably refuse to upgrade my video drivers ever again. xD

Up until now, I was pretty sure that drivers couldn't break physical hardware, and I'm still not convinced that this was the cause.. but the timing was just weirdly fitting. Any experience with this?

Somehow a while ago I laughed at something, and drank water at the same time. I spit all the water over my monitor, and when I tried to clean it up, things got worse. Now I have a 1 pixel-wide green transparent line across my whole screen.

PostPosted: 2015/03/02, 22:57 
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Role: Hobbyist
well, at work I have actually burned the title bar of Visual Studio in the pixels of my screen, due to keeping it always open, always in the same position..

Now anything I do I always have a somewhat faint outline of a default windows form title bar across the top of the screen :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 2015/03/02, 23:17 
Site Admin
Site Admin

SirePi wrote:
well, at work I have actually burned the title bar of Visual Studio in the pixels of my screen, due to keeping it always open, always in the same position..

Now anything I do I always have a somewhat faint outline of a default windows form title bar across the top of the screen :mrgreen:

What xD I didn't even know that was possible on modern screens.

RockyTV wrote:
Now I have a 1 pixel-wide green transparent line across my whole screen.

That must be annoying as hell. :wtf:

PostPosted: 2015/03/02, 23:53 
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Role: Hobbyist
Adam wrote:
What xD I didn't even know that was possible on modern screens.

Define modern :mrgreen:
anyway it's a 7-years-old samsung lcd..

Adam wrote:
That must be annoying as hell. :wtf:

Not so much.. usually I still keep Visual Studio always open, always in the same position :mrgreen:

For other programs I have the second screen B)

PostPosted: 2015/03/05, 17:39 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Bastion has a nice soundtrack. One of the few where I occasionally listen to some songs in my regular playlist. I really like that the duet they're singing is actually two different songs from the soundtrack, that just match nicely when sung at the same time.

Kind of a different theme, but Deus Ex is also worth listening to.

PostPosted: 2015/03/10, 00:34 
Site Admin
Site Admin

It's amazing what one comment on reddit can do to your usage statistics.

PostPosted: 2015/03/10, 04:24 
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Role: Gamer
Adam wrote:

It's amazing what one comment on reddit can do to your usage statistics.

I know.. Right?

By thr way, the day I don't browse the forums is the day where there are plenty messages here.

PostPosted: 2015/03/10, 23:42 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The family tree of indo-european languages is kind of impressive. A lot of languages I've never even heard of.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 206 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21  Next