Adam's Lair Forum

game development and casual madness
It is currently 2017/04/29, 23:22

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: 2015/10/31, 19:02 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Role: Professional
When I recently browsed through the members list of the forum, I noticed that a lot of you have their own personal blog or website, so... why not create a topic about that? ^^ This thread is here for sharing links, posting updates, asking design questions and all else that's somehow related.

Tell me about your website! Leave me a link. Do you have a concept for it? What kind of stuff do you post there? What's the one posting that everyone should read?

Also, feel free to add your link as a screenshot, like this:

PostPosted: 2015/11/01, 01:13 
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Role: Gamer
My personal blog is hosted with GitHub Pages and Jekyll. I chose it because it is a nice and simple way to start blogging.

Its theme is based on Google's Material Design. I used an external library for it, called Materialize. It's also easy to use.

What I post in the blog can be a bit about everything. Currently I only post stuff related to programming (duality game/plugin programming, blog changes, and soon programming in general).

What I'd like to ask for you guys is, I have a small sidebar there, and I need help deciding what to add in the sidebar. Without it, according to my friend, the blog just looks like a giant mobile app. So I'm asking for you help to decide what can go in my blog's sidebar!

PostPosted: 2015/11/01, 18:23 
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

I have a blog, but it's been a long time since the last entry. I'm not very outgoing like that, I guess. It's hosted on WordPress.com's free service. Here's a link: https://hsnabn.wordpress.com/
There's no real fixed topic except my interests, which is mostly games and their development. There's a dash of general technology too.

About the sidebar, RockyTV, you don't actually need to add much. Adding too much would make it feel bloated, which is bad, because the page looks very clean right now. What your friend said about it looking like a mobile app isn't necessarily a bad thing.

PostPosted: 2015/11/01, 20:32 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Neat. It's kind of refreshing to see some blogs with a more personal touch (or even just less focused on programming) once in a while. ^^ Also: Nice dark style, hsnabn! I've experimented with those on my own blog back then, but found that they are incredibly hard to get right.

RockyTV wrote:
What I'd like to ask for you guys is, I have a small sidebar there, and I need help deciding what to add in the sidebar. Without it, according to my friend, the blog just looks like a giant mobile app. So I'm asking for you help to decide what can go in my blog's sidebar!

I'd probably remove the "Recent Posts" one, because it feels a bit redundant - those postings are right there on the front page anyway :D Alternatively, you could add a sidebar item for Tags / Categories, and maybe a collection of links to your projects. Oh, and maybe a link to the RSS feed of your blog, if there is one?

PostPosted: 2015/11/01, 22:20 
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Adam wrote:
Nice dark style, hsnabn!
Thank you, but it's actually a built in WordPress.com theme. It's called Minnow. All I did was just select it.

PostPosted: 2015/11/02, 00:50 
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Thanks for the feedback guys. I took today to do some changes to the blog, and ended up doing big changes to it, such as changing the color scheme. It is now a black with pink color. Take a look:

I've also added categories and projects to the sidebar (thanks for reminding me of the categories, Adam!).

PostPosted: 2015/11/02, 11:56 
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Role: Hobbyist
Mine as well is hosted on GitHub, and is a basic variation of the original Jekyll template they give you at start, though I have a half idea of trying to rebuild it with Bootstrap (and Jekyll), just to add some variation.
It's updated whenever I have something to add, and I tend to discuss my improbable projects and the various things that I do (mostly related to programming though).
Maybe you already saw it due to the tutorials, but here it is ^^

@RockyTV: neat ^^

PostPosted: 2016/05/30, 12:06 
One-Hit Wonder
One-Hit Wonder

I have my very own web journal and site which i'd like to impart to other. By what method would I be able to get more activity? What is the most ideal approach to get loads of movement to your site and site? cos my web journal and my site got no one go visit so far

PostPosted: 2016/05/30, 19:31 
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

judee wrote:
I have my very own web journal and site which i'd like to impart to other. By what method would I be able to get more activity? What is the most ideal approach to get loads of movement to your site and site? cos my web journal and my site got no one go visit so far

a) Write awesome content. Success not guranteed
b) Clickbait titles
c) Boobs

PostPosted: 2016/05/30, 19:49 
Site Admin
Site Admin

loeller wrote:
b) Clickbait titles
c) Boobs

I knew it. I've been doing it wrong all along.