Adam's Lair Forum

game development and casual madness
It is currently 2017/05/23, 07:00

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: 2016/02/25, 20:58 
Novice Member
Novice Member

Role: Hobbyist
Figured this is relevant as this could ease .net to Mono cross platform work in the future. Any thoughts on what this does for the c# gaming community?

http://blogs.microsoft.com/blog/2016/02/24/microsoft-to-acquire-xamarin-and-empower-more-developers-to-build-apps-on-any-device/

PostPosted: 2016/02/25, 21:28 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Role: Professional
Yep, that news was really hard to miss ^^ I'm a bit excited to see Xamarin being on official part of Microsoft now, this will probably yield some notable synergies in making C# / .Net a better cross platform language / framework with all the legal stuff out of the way.

Also, given the recent Open Source / free tools path Microsoft has been taking, I have a bit of hope that one day, Visual Studio Community will come with build capabilities for Android and all the rest built-in without further licensing cost. Which would be awesome.

PostPosted: 2016/02/25, 22:29 
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Adam wrote:
Also, given the recent Open Source / free tools path Microsoft has been taking, I have a bit of hope that one day, Visual Studio Community will come with build capabilities for Android and all the rest built-in without further licensing cost. Which would be awesome.

That's what I hope too! The entry cost to Xamarin, for somebody, who just wants to play around, is too high.
I dont't have any insight at how multiplatform game engines work, but could this also mean that Duality for mobile is one step closer?

PostPosted: 2016/02/25, 22:36 
Site Admin
Site Admin

loeller wrote:
I don't have any insight at how multiplatform game engines work, but could this also mean that Duality for mobile is one step closer?

It's about as close as it was before, but it would certainly be one step cheaper ;)

That said, anything that evolves and extends the .Net cross-platform ecosystem has a potential benefit for Duality's cross-platform capabilities as well. Since v2.0 we're all set for cross-platform deployment, but we won't know how good it works and where the problems are until we try it. Speaking of "we" as in "we, the Duality developer community".

PostPosted: 2016/02/25, 23:59 
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Yep, as I noticed, time is the scarcest resource among the more experienced developers here, including you. Though it's really a cool thing that you're still developing the engine after many years, so ... respect.

I'm so fond of this community, that couldn't resist the urge to show you my inner self in the form of my avatar! :D

PostPosted: 2016/02/26, 19:22 
Site Admin
Site Admin

loeller wrote:
Yep, as I noticed, time is the scarcest resource among the more experienced developers here, including you. Though it's really a cool thing that you're still developing the engine after many years, so ... respect.

Thanks! Though I'd probably have missed a lot if I didn't ^^

Time really is kind of a perpetual problem. Back when I studied it was just so much easier to find a free time slot to get into the zone and do some coding. A full time job really takes its share.

loeller wrote:
I'm so fond of this community, that couldn't resist the urge to show you my inner self in the form of my avatar! :D

Awesome :D I like avatars.

PostPosted: 2016/03/31, 19:29 
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

And now it's free and open source...

PostPosted: 2016/03/31, 19:56 
Site Admin
Site Admin

loeller wrote:

Yep, and it's awesome :D

PostPosted: 2016/04/12, 12:50 

Hi! Did someone managed to run Duality project on Xamarin iOS/Android? Please share the solution! :]

PostPosted: 2016/04/12, 19:19 
Site Admin
Site Admin

mikeg wrote:
Hi! Did someone managed to run Duality project on Xamarin iOS/Android? Please share the solution! :]

I'd be interested in this too, actually ^^ While Linux / Mac so far appear to "just run" to a degree, I would assume that mobile platforms require more work:

• Provide a modified launcher application.
  • Implement a modified OpenGL backend that uses OpenGL ES.
  • Potentially implement a custom system backend for file system access / permissions as well.
  • Lots and lots of testing, especially on the performance side, since mobile .Net isn't as efficient with garbage collection and provides less memory and processing power.

There's work (even though Duality v2.0 has probably cleared a lot of the path), but it's definitely doable.