It is currently 2017/04/27, 01:22

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Patreon?
PostPosted: 2016/08/16, 08:37 
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Role: Hobbyist
Hey Adam,

do you have plans to join patreon, so die Community could support you?

- Cross

Post subject: Re: Patreon?
PostPosted: 2016/08/16, 14:44 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Role: Professional
I guess this is one of those instances where asking more often actually does gradually change the answer.

I'll investigate Patreon, toy around with the idea and keep you guys posted ^^

PostPosted: 2016/08/17, 13:45 
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

I think there way too small of a community to make it worthwhile.

I donated a bit a while back (not sure, but 50€?) and I'll state my reasons:
- Fun personal project that is nothing short of amazing, considering it's made by a single person
- Helps you learn C# and use good coding practices
- I decided I'd pay as much as a smaller engine like GameMaker or Construct 2 (which I have licensed, though GM:S was an upgrade from GM8.1)

And guess what? I'll do it again. Sure, I'm not able to produce nothing worthwhile, mainly end up frustrated by my own shortcomings, but I felt it was a good sign to show support to people like Adam.

Patreon will give Adam a sense of duty if it garners enough attention but I actually don't see it happening.

But setting it up, I'd probably give 5€ a month, because I don't have that much financial leeway.

I'd prefer to know what the man himself wants to do and what he needs to do it.

I'd personally like to see him (or someone else) make a tutorial about developing a plugin. Just the basics, you know? I tried to do it, and now I already forgot, but managed to completely destroy my Duality instalation. :D

A couple gamekits (or templates), like a platformer/space shooter, whatever, so we can bring people and help them to actually see how a game skeleton in Duality is.

Yes, I know I can do the templates, but one thing I know: my coding is a mess. :meh:

But I'll start up one one of those points after our jam...

PostPosted: 2016/08/17, 21:51 
Site Admin
Site Admin

eyeliner wrote:
I donated a bit a while back [...]

And guess what? I'll do it again. Sure, I'm not able to produce nothing worthwhile, mainly end up frustrated by my own shortcomings, but I felt it was a good sign to show support to people like Adam.

I appreciate that. A lot. :)

You also make some valid points, especially the fact that the community is not big enough to be a sustainable basis for an actual Patreon funding. If anything, adding Patreon to the mix of donation options would be a convenience for the few that are interested in providing recurring support.

I still have that pipe dream where one day, I might be able to take one day a week off to work on Duality, and if anything, a platform like Patreon would be the way to go here. As sort of a role model, there's the creator of Tiled, but Tiled is admittedly a bit more popular. Everyone knows Tiled, right? So there's that :D

One fear that I have with regard to "getting all serious" about donations with a platform like Patreon would be the growing percentage of "PR and business work" that I'd end up doing, as opposed to actual development. Honestly, I just want to make a nice framework. Talking about it instead, and pretending it's the best thing in the world in order to get people to support me in order to get a tangible real-world justification for actually working on what I want to work is a frustrating thought. Then again, it's always possible to set up Patreon in a more passive way, just so it's there for anyone who comes searching. Less PR for less public visibility and still doing what I do.

Talking about pipe dreams, I actually have another one ^^ Advancing the community to a point where Duality no longer needs me. Even without a continuous funding, I already do have a sense of duty. New question on the forum? Should make sure there's a good answer after a few days. There's a bug? Definitely need to look into this. A severe one? Might actually sacrifice some sleep over this. And it's fine like this, but it also worries me at times, because there's no redundancy: Right now, there is no core team to push the project forward if I wasn't around. Nothing I do is magic and I hope that at some point there will be active and regular core contributors with similar in-depth knowledge - in the end I'd just really appreciate some peace of mind to know that the development of Duality does no longer depend on me to this degree. In a way, it would make development even more enjoyable if it was gradually becoming a team effort.

Anyway - enough of the dreaming and whining!

I think we're on a good path overall. You guys are an awesome and incredibly helpful community and I'd be thrilled if we were able to keep that while we grow. Some of you have also done a great job at issue reporting and even some cautious code contributions. So I'm at least a tiny bit optimistic on that. :)

PostPosted: 2016/08/17, 21:54 
Site Admin
Site Admin

While kind of running off on a tangent, I almost forgot:
eyeliner wrote:
I'd personally like to see him (or someone else) make a tutorial about developing a plugin. Just the basics, you know? [...]

A couple gamekits (or templates), like a platformer/space shooter, whatever, so we can bring people and help them to actually see how a game skeleton in Duality is.

Yes! I'd be really glad if someone could tackle this and advance the tutorial and documentation side of Duality and the Wiki. I'll of course help where I can and jump in whenever I get around to it, but any help appreciated.

PostPosted: 2016/09/28, 05:28 

Adam wrote:
I still have that pipe dream

Just a thought that might help push your dream into reality, have you considered ramping up (or more specifically, allowing the community to ramp up. I understand time is not currently your ally ^^ ) activity on the Dualitor Youtube channel? (assuming you own that channel, if not then a DualityGameEngine or similarly titled channel could be created).

What I'm picturing is defining some quality and format standards (example: min resolution, text only instructions and commentary to avoid crappy microphones, short/long form editing style, etc) for anyone to follow if they would like to publish a video tutorial to the channel, and then giving a group of more dedicated community members access to the channel to actually curate and publish community created content.

PostPosted: 2016/09/28, 08:09 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The Dualitor channel on YouTube isn't actually mine - not sure who it belongs to, but I believe it was someone from around here. A recurring video format with tutorials and useful tricks would definitely be great. Right now, tutorial videos are too time expensive to produce myself (priority #1 and #2 already are support and development), but if the community was to step in here, sure!

There isn't much video content to curate yet though, and I don't believe it would work to just say "Hey, everyone make a video" - that kind of thing is usually better when it emerges because people like to do it anyway. I kind of hope that this will happen when the community grows and the chance increases that some YouTube people are among the crowd - or some that always wanted to try and do a YouTube series.