game development and casual madness
It is currently 2017/03/23, 08:25

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Crazy Game Ideas
PostPosted: 2015/08/08, 00:52 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Role: Professional
You probably know this: Once in a while, you get a game idea, but aren't in a position to try it right away. If you're lucky, you find the time to write it down, if you're not, it's gone for good or will haunt you recurringly. Either way, most ideas don't make it into a game or even a full-scale concept - but, maybe they're worth sharing and discussing?

That's what this thread is for. If you have an idea you want to share, go for it. If you have an opinion on one, post it. This thread is aimed to be an unfiltered, brainstormy conflux of inspiration and reflection. Have fun! :D

Post subject: Re: Crazy Game Ideas
PostPosted: 2015/08/08, 00:57 
Site Admin
Site Admin

So, I guess I'll start ^^

Idea: "None of this is real" as a starting sentence. Breaking the fourth wall right from the beginning.

Idea: Exploring the concept of determinism with a (villain?) character who is convinced that everything is pre-determined. The catch is, determinism as a philosophical concept also works in reality. Draw parallels and make the player question it.

Idea: Total hero character cliché, except that everyone avoids him. To the point that the player actually never makes contact with another person. They simply all walk away once they see him, close their doors, etc.

PostPosted: 2015/08/08, 11:47 
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Role: Gamer
Ooh, I like the "none of this is real" one and the "everyone avoids him" one. The first one might not be much different, but the second one sounds great.
OK, I've got some ideas:

Idea: A game just like Mass Effect, just with better everything.

Idea: A game in which you are possessed by a dying god, and have to seek out a warlord because apparently all the gods are dying, and he's behind it. He has apparently cast the gods down. At times, the god can "ascend" you, giving you godlike powers. These godlike powers include having incredible strength (think Red Faction: Guerrilla with better destruction) and the power of flight. Different abilities can be upgraded and unlocked as you progress and earn points, or maybe get used to having a dying god living inside you.

Idea: A game in which everything is procedurally generated. I'm not talking No Man's Sky, I'm talking everything. The voices, the story, and huge galaxies, lore, everything.

Ahh, I've got more ideas, but maybe I'll post them here later.

PostPosted: 2015/08/28, 17:07 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Idea: In a Sci-Fi psycho horror game, dynamically stream live Webcam footage from the players machine to one of the ingame computer screens for a second, then quickly replace by static noise and don't do it again.

PostPosted: 2015/08/31, 20:16 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Idea: A game where it's not scripted whether or not a character will like you when you're nice to him. Just randomize it on a scale from zero to one. Or maybe randomize that characters preferences / traits and see how well the player matches them with his playstyle and choices?

Idea: An RPG game without a main specific character, where anyone from your party can just die, or leave, and the world just continues to happen.

PostPosted: 2015/09/01, 07:37 
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Adam wrote:
Idea: An RPG game without a main specific character, where anyone from your party can just die, or leave, and the world just continues to happen.
Well, you're covered on that one: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/

PostPosted: 2015/09/01, 10:22 
Site Admin
Site Admin

hsnabn wrote:
Adam wrote:
Well, you're covered on that one: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/

Though dwarf fortress is really not the kind of RPG game I would prefer. Tried it once, never got into it. Not my kind of thing I guess :D

PostPosted: 2015/09/01, 16:26 
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

It's really good when you finally get how to play it. Adventure Mode in particular is now the exact implementation of what you described.

PostPosted: 2015/09/01, 17:09 
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Role: Hobbyist
I've tried to play Dwarf Fortress a lot of times, but as soon as I get out of the world creation phase I feel overwhelmed by the amount of information that are thrown at me, without a context. Information that I should use to make an informed decision :troubled:

I'd really, really like to play it, but I feel I need a month of study even before I can choose where to place my first settlement ^^

PostPosted: 2015/09/01, 18:20 
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Maybe you should start with Adventure Mode, and ease yourself into it. Even I, who has played hours upon hours of Adventure Mode, can't quite get into Fortress Mode. But let's not sidetrack this thread further :).