Adam's Lair Forum

game development and casual madness
It is currently 2017/03/25, 13:43

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: 2016/01/25, 20:33 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Role: Professional
So the most recent maintainer of the OpenTK framework posted this notice a week ago. He's been pushing the project forward and been the sole maintainer of it for the past half year or so and apparently, he never had the full access rights, nor was it possible to reach any of the project owners to obtain them. Given the situation, he has now decided to leave the project - which is totally understandable, but it also means that the official opentk repository no longer has a maintainer.

For me, this is bad news. Not for Duality actually - its OpenTK backend is quite stable and could be replaced by a different one if need be, so no worries from this side. It's bad news, because OpenTK is an awesome project and I'd love to see it alive and kicking. It is my go-to recommendation when someone asks how to use OpenGL or OpenAL with C#, or how to set up a simple game project based on the gritty lowlevel stuff. It's small and simple and doesn't come with a lot of overhead, like a lot of other frameworks out there. It set out to do exactly one thing and sticked to it. And as you can probably read here, I'm a bit of a fan :mrgreen:

Anyway. Since I have this AdamsLair.OpenTK fork around, I decided to merge the latest opentk commits and will now consider merging some of the pending Pull Requests from opentk/opentk. All custom Duality modifications have been and will be done strictly in a duality-specific branch, so it's essentially a mirror of the official repo with a few more fixes and tweaks. I won't be able to step in as some kind of unofficial maintainer, because I already maintain Duality and that's plenty - but maybe I can at least collect some pieces before they - in the worst case - become unavailable.

PostPosted: 2016/01/26, 00:26 
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Role: Gamer
Hmm, and there don't seem to be many alternatives around.

Just for example, say OpenTK had to be dropped. What else would be viable to use instead?

PostPosted: 2016/01/26, 08:44 
Site Admin
Site Admin

hsnabn wrote:
Just for example, say OpenTK had to be dropped. What else would be viable to use instead?

If you just want raw OpenGL and OpenAL bindings, I don't know an alternative, but feel free to point me towards one. For window management there's SDL2#, (to my knowledge) the c# version doesn't provide the raw AL / GL bindings, but more high level functionality.

The good thing is, OpenTK doesn't really need much attention. It works and is stable for the most part, so it probably won't go away anytime soon - though I'd very much rather see it active and continuously tweaked and fixed. :|

PostPosted: 2016/01/26, 09:32 

Role: Hobbyist
SFML is similar to SDL, and imo much better. It's a full open-source multimedia library in C++ but has bindings for a few languages, pretty sure C# is one. Worth a look, I've used it many time and only have good things to say.

PostPosted: 2016/01/26, 21:22 
Site Admin
Site Admin

ARC wrote:
SFML is similar to SDL, and imo much better. It's a full open-source multimedia library in C++ but has bindings for a few languages, pretty sure C# is one. Worth a look, I've used it many time and only have good things to say.

Ah yes, there's also SFML of course :)

A general downside with SFML and SDL though is that they're both C++ based and just wrapped in a C# library - which means you'll have to do without some niceties of the .Net world, such as being able to deploy independently from CPU architectures and the like. Having a base framework that is written purely in managed code / C# is a big plus to me.