Adam's Lair Forum

game development and casual madness
It is currently 2017/04/26, 00:16

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: 2016/02/04, 23:52 
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Role: Hobbyist
I have a couple ideas, but they come at a stall eventually (either from innability to progress further in coding i.e. pitfalls or just boredom from the project).

But, to keep the flame alive, I decided to make a game borrowing heavily on a game from my youth (Raid on Bungeling Bay).

I just used Duality and slapped game objects around, instead of adding them by code and trying to be hip, and the prototype is becoming ever more possible to be finished. Of course, there's still a lot to do, but the pieces are just fitting nicely. Practicality before smarts! :O

Removing the nostalgia glasses I decided to browse about the game and to my surprise, the game only has ONE LEVEL that keeps on repeating itself! Possibly, I've beaten the game when I was a kid without ever knowing it.

Did you ever try to do such a thing? Revive an old classic like that? Without knowing it, I just chose a game easy-ish to re-invent.

PostPosted: 2016/02/05, 10:46 
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

I feel that going back to the past for ideas brings 2 interesting features to the game design phase, and especially:

1. You already know what has to be done (maybe not in the details), but you have a firm grasp on the required mechanics of the game
  2. There is no need to reinvent anything, and you can focus on polishing and possibly improving what you feel were the shortcomings of the original one

That said, the up/downside is that you know the original game exists and so you have a comparison to measure up with, and sometimes you feel that although you know what HAS to be done, you have no idea on HOW to do it ^^

I feel that this is especially true (in my case) for the graphics part.. being completely inept with animations and so on, it would require to find someone well versed in digital art to be able to really complete the game.. squares and circles are fun, but up to a certain point :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 2016/02/05, 20:10 
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

I hear you, but I forgot to mention, that the point is not to rival the original, i. e. by selling it, nor making a direct copy.

Just using one of the oldies as a learning exercise, because, as you pointed out, one already knows what has been done.

For example (in my case):
The control style
Camera behaviour
Enemy types and logic
Clear and defined objective

Having such a thing already done, you can (in my view) use it, because the building blocks are already set, so you just have to emulate it, and elaborate on it.

I found that by translating a (simple) base game, the working experience is great. I'm enjoying it, at least. Maybe because I can already see the logic behind the scenes?

PostPosted: 2016/02/05, 20:52 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Role: Professional
eyeliner wrote:
Did you ever try to do such a thing? Revive an old classic like that? Without knowing it, I just chose a game easy-ish to re-invent.

It may very well be possible that almost all of my early games were remixes and remakes of some DOS games that I played when I was a lot younger. Specifically this one and this one as far as space games go. So yes - I think I totally know what you're talking about :D

Nowadays, I think I'm leaned more towards creating something independently from what I've played and going different ways, but there will always be the influence of those early (gaming) experiences.