Adam's Lair Forum

game development and casual madness
It is currently 2017/04/30, 03:12

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: 2017/04/26, 10:28 

Role: Observer
Hi all,

I've just downloaded the latest Duality binaries for the first time and tried to launch the editor (DualityEditor.exe).

The license agreement was shown but after clicking I Accept, the tool hangs for a few seconds while attempting to install the required packages (no progress shown on the bar) and then fails with an error claiming that
Quote:
[...] a connection does not seem to be possible right now. Please check your firewall and network status!

Looking at the editor log (logfile_editor.txt), several version compatibility errors are present:

Quote:
[Edit] Msg: Updating Packages...
[Edit] Msg: Uninstalling unregistered packages...
[Edit] Msg: Verifying registered packages...
[Edit] ERR: An error occurred verifying Package 'AdamsLair.Duality.Launcher', Version : Exception: Can't resolve version of package 'AdamsLair.Duality.Launcher'. There seems to be no compatible version available.
CallStack:
at Duality.Editor.PackageManagement.PackageManager.VerifyPackage(LocalPackage package)
at Duality.Editor.Program.<SynchronizePackages>d__1.MoveNext()
[Edit] ERR: An error occurred verifying Package 'AdamsLair.Duality.Backend.DotNetFramework', Version : Exception: Can't resolve version of package 'AdamsLair.Duality.Backend.DotNetFramework'. There seems to be no compatible version available.
CallStack:
at Duality.Editor.PackageManagement.PackageManager.VerifyPackage(LocalPackage package)
at Duality.Editor.Program.<SynchronizePackages>d__1.MoveNext()

[...] (repeats for several other packages)

I have Visual Studio 2015 Professional installed (and .Net 4.5). Internet connection is online and my firewall is not blocking Duality (just to be certain I added an explicit exception rule).

Running in admin mode does not seem to make any difference either.

Any clues to what might be happening?

Thanks,

Frederico

Ps - While I'm trying out the binaries first, my intention is to build everything from source when working with the engine in the future. So that is not a problem if it becomes a requirement to further debug this issue.

PostPosted: 2017/04/26, 18:51 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Role: Professional
Hey there and welcome!

I looked into this and was able to reproduce the issue with a fresh download package after clearing my machines NuGet cache. However, running the current source build, I wasn't able to reproduce it again even though I cleared the NuGet cache after every try. Going back to the binary download installer, the issue turned out to be a bit erratic, sometimes showing for all the packages, sometimes only for some, and sometimes not at all.

My best guess so far is that the NuGet API endpoint is temporarily experiencing problems of some sort, with the exact way in which packages are queried potentially influencing success rate or reproducability of the issues.

I've rebuilt the installer package from the latest source version and replaced the one that is up for download. There shouldn't have been any big changes in the mean time, but it's possible that NuGet query behavior has changed - the last installer was from December 2016. Can you re-download the installer and try again?

(Please clear your browser cache before you do so we can rule out any interference from that side, though I suppose the browser should be clever enough for this.)

In any case, since this might be a network-related issue, it doesn't hurt to just give the installer a few tries in case there really are connectivity problems. Due to both the machine-wide and the Duality-local NuGet package cache, it won't need to re-download a package once it's been there, so even if you only get a subset of packages on every try, you'll eventually end up with a full set unless there's a full breakdown.

Anyway, let me know if the new installer fixes this :)

Edit: It seems like there is indeed some slight instability in the NuGet V2 lookup / search both yesterday and today. See Pingdom history on status.nuget.org

PostPosted: 2017/04/26, 22:35 

Role: Observer
Thanks for looking into this Adam.

I've downloaded the updated installer and can confirm the issue is fixed.

Time to explore the engine now :)

Cheers,

Frederico