game development and casual madness
It is currently 2017/05/23, 07:07

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: 2014/05/30, 13:22 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Role: Professional
Hi everyone,

I've spend some time collecting ideas on where to move Duality next. But as usual, there are far more ideas and issues than I could possible tackle at once. Since GitHub lacks a voting feature on issues, I've opened this thread to get some general feedback.

1. What's your single, most important issue / bugfix / feature in Duality that you'd like to see resolved right now?
  2. What was the most important update of Duality for you so far?
  3. What would you see as the most important long-term goal of Duality?

I can't guarantee that all of your requests will magically resolve, but I'll do my best to keep your feedback in mind when making future decisions of Duality development.

Feel free to re-post as soon as your answers change. Especially question 1. could also refer to short-termin tweaks or similar.

PostPosted: 2014/05/30, 16:57 
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Role: Hobbyist
It's not exactly one, but I think a couple of them should be quick to implement
1.1. A way to reset the camera in the Scene Editor to the origin (unless it is there and I missed it). It happens often that I rotate or move the camera around and I can't center it anymore.. it irritates me to no end to see the grid lines blurred because I have a .0000001 degrees rotation :mrgreen:
1.2. The possiblity to change icon to the launcher
1.3. Possibly a way to store resources with some kind of encryption/protection (I know it won't stop someone determined from peeking inside as the key would be anyway shipped somewhere with or inside the executable, but at least it should dissuade saturday-night hackers from cheating by changing values around).

2. Wouldn't know at the moment

3. Cross-platform capability for the launcher; the editor can stay on Windows if it's too much of a hassle to port it

PostPosted: 2014/05/30, 17:13 
Site Admin
Site Admin

SirePi wrote:
1.1. A way to reset the camera in the Scene Editor to the origin (unless it is there and I missed it). It happens often that I rotate or move the camera around and I can't center it anymore.. it irritates me to no end to see the grid lines blurred because I have a .0000001 degrees rotation :mrgreen:

Deselect everything and press F. Should probably implement something more obvious, though.

Thanks for your feedback so far!

PostPosted: 2014/05/31, 11:04 
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Adam wrote:
Deselect everything and press F. Should probably implement something more obvious, though.

Nice! and yes, a little button would have been helpful :D

PostPosted: 2014/08/05, 04:20 
Novice Member
Novice Member

Quote:
What's your single, most important issue / bugfix / feature in Duality that you'd like to see resolved right now?

Stable, officially supported, lighting and particle plugins.
(additionally, dealing with screen size through cameras is a bit clunky, sometimes you just need a viewport/window "camera").

Quote:
What was the most important update of Duality for you so far?

Wouldn't know, I'm pretty new :mrgreen:

Quote:
What would you see as the most important long-term goal of Duality?

Cross-platform suport (including mobile targeting).

PostPosted: 2016/04/07, 13:40 
Novice Member
Novice Member

Hello adam,

so what about point 1.2. (SirePi post) ?
changing the launcher icon?

if you doubt about the existence of duality engine, you can make duality logo appear in every start of a game and make that un-removeable :D

wish you the best adam :)

PostPosted: 2016/04/07, 15:21 
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Use resource hacker to change the icon.

PostPosted: 2016/04/07, 15:32 

aswzen wrote:
Hello adam,

if you doubt about the existence of duality engine, you can make duality logo appear in every start of a game and make that un-removeable :D

This should work for you: http://www.digitalcitizen.life/how-change-icon-shortcut

Change the icon before shipping, and voilà!

PostPosted: 2016/04/07, 18:19 
Site Admin
Site Admin

aswzen wrote:
Hello adam,

It's not really a fixed Duality icon because I want the Duality stuff to appear, but rather because no-one really got around to implement this as part of the project export / build editor functionality. ^^

Until then, I'll have to refer to eyeliner's suggestion to use ResourceHacker or something similar to switch out the icon. I think stc's link is more about shortcuts rather than executables, so that will probably not be persistent across machines.

PostPosted: 2016/06/29, 04:16 
Novice Member
Novice Member

This is more of a pipe-dream than a realistic "what needs to be done", but it really would be nice if custom property inpectors & view states were as easy to write as they are in Unity (if only the rest of the Unity dev environment was any good). I think it really says a lot about the overall quality of the project if this (and not something much more important) is my biggest gripe.

Easy to write property inspectors are obvious in why they're useful. There's many times I would like to perform an action through a custom button in the property inspector; modify the layout so I can create logical groups of properties; or often most importantly, custom handling getting/setting values through the inspector. The editor has a narrower use scope than the code, and thus sometimes requires massaging the data (i.e. a property accepting IEnumerable<T> in code, but making the inspector handle it as a List<T> and passing it along to the component).

Unfortunately the editor code is quite unwieldy, and even simple custom inspectors often take as long to complete as writing the component itself, which often leads me to making design compromises, simply because it's an inefficient use of time otherwise.

The other side of this coin, is easier to write custom view states. The property inspector alone works great for raw data, but it's not so great for handling data that's best represented visually. A good example of this would be handling a cubic bezier curve component (for sake of simplicity, lets say it renders itself). Trying to get a bezier curve just right through blindly altering values in the inspector really wouldn't cut it. The only sane way to handle it would be a custom view state in which you can visually manipulate the handles to adjust the bezier curve.

Here we run into the same problem as the custom property inspectors; it's not that it's impossible to write a custom inspector or view state--far from it. It's simply that the code behind them is largely undocumented, and many common tasks are left up to the individual implementation, instead of being rolled into a simplified API. Unless something particularly extraordinary is needed, creating a button in the inspector should be a simple method call, and making an object draggable or selectable in a view state should be as easy as setting a flag. Much of the functionality in dragging an object is going to be the same regardless the implementation; most custom functionality in a dragging event can be handled properly by ensuring there's enough event handlers developers can listen for, that give them the hooks needed to handle their custom functionality on top of the base functionality.

I know for me personally, I looked into creating a generic state view that would provide a number of events to hook into, as well as look for certain custom components that could be attached to objects in a scene, meant for editor only use. In this way, an editor tool could be built the same way as an actual game object, and simply remove itself from the scene when launched in a non-editor context. The roadblock I ran into however, is that I realized the time needed to implement such a view state, would be on par with a small game project, largely due to the time it would take to sit down and fully understand how custom view states are implemented.