Adam's Lair Forum

game development and casual madness
It is currently 2017/03/23, 08:21

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Youtube Tutorials
PostPosted: 2014/02/04, 01:41 

Role: Hobbyist
The idea:
I always liked following video tutorials on Youtube, if they explain their code and show exactly what they're doing. Since there's a lack of documentation/tutorials, I figured I'll give it a shot. I recently got a new studio microphone, so sound should be more than fine. I'd like some feedback on topics and such before I start though.

The episodes:
1 - Interface: Different views and windows
2 - Game Objects: Gameobjects, components make up the gameobject
3 - Scene setup: Camera, scene saving
4 - Preparing the code: How to use VS with Duality, some basic functions, inspector variables
5 - Input: Keyboard input, mouse input
6 - Prefabs: Why are they useful, instantiation
7 - Raycasting: Preventing tunneling of bullets
8 - Basic AI: Make objects move to the player
9 - Spawning enemies: Random number generator
10 - Displaying text: Display score, canvas(?)
11 - Creating a menu: Buttons, scene switching
12 - Deploying: Appdata, userdata, removing unneeded files
13 - Plugins: Welp.

Some more things:
I'm still learning Duality myself, but I've got the basics down. I still need to figure out how to draw text to the screen, though that shouldn't be very difficult. I'm going to build the project before I start the series so I'm sure I got everything right.

Now, I'm all in for suggestions! Do you feel I missed a subject? Is the order of appearance not correct? Tell me what you think!

Last edited by Ekibyou on 2014/07/09, 06:44, edited 10 times in total.

PostPosted: 2014/02/04, 04:56 

Looks great to me! I think if you start making them then you and we will quickly see where the gaps are. But all of those things, if explained clearly, would be excellent for tutorials!

Look forward to seeing what you come up with.

PostPosted: 2014/02/04, 09:14 

charles wrote:
Looks great to me! I think if you start making them then you and we will quickly see where the gaps are. But all of those things, if explained clearly, would be excellent for tutorials!

Look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Alright cool!
This is not the end of the whole list though. A menu needs to be created first, but I'm going to figure out how to do it exactly myself first.

I'll dive in deeper when I learned how to create plugins and such, since the documentation on that is super lacking.

PostPosted: 2014/02/05, 13:03 

I agree I would love to see those topics. I think your best bet is to create one and get feedback on it and then maybe redo it (to polish it if needs be) and then do the next one and so on.

PostPosted: 2014/02/05, 16:44 

burtybob wrote:
I agree I would love to see those topics. I think your best bet is to create one and get feedback on it and then maybe redo it (to polish it if needs be) and then do the next one and so on.

That's probably what's going to happen. I'll touch up the problems in the episode after it if something was wrong :).

PostPosted: 2014/02/06, 01:56 

Episode 1 is up! Check the main post :)
I notice I "um" a lot now that I look back. I'm going to try and prevent that in future video's. Tell me what you think! I hope I do the engine justice haha ;)

PostPosted: 2014/02/06, 09:48 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Role: Professional
Although there's not so much happening in this first one, it's still a nice prelude. Also, you've kind of a good tutorial voice. Very relaxed. :) You'll need to watch out not to sound too relaxed overall, so your viewers will stay interested until the end, and pay attention while you're explaining stuff - there's a certain amount of "minimum energy" required I think.

It's a good start, and I'm really curious how your series is going to develop :) I've shared a link to your video on reddit to help you reach a bigger audience for initial feedback.

PostPosted: 2014/02/06, 14:55 

Adam wrote:
Although there's not so much happening in this first one, it's still a nice prelude. Also, you've kind of a good tutorial voice. Very relaxed. :) You'll need to watch out not to sound too relaxed overall, so your viewers will stay interested until the end, and pay attention while you're explaining stuff - there's a certain amount of "minimum energy" required I think.

It's a good start, and I'm really curious how your series is going to develop :) I've shared a link to your video on reddit to help you reach a bigger audience for initial feedback.

Gotcha! I've created lots of tutorials for other things before this, but I haven't really taken it serious up to now.

Any tips on preparing the thing so it's a lot smoother? I don't really want to edit the video too much, I like it more if it's a bit more natural. I'll do a google of it too, but tips are always welcome :).

Thanks for sharing it, too! It gives me confidence when you, the creator, supports the idea. My C# might not be academic level, but they suffice in creating a game in a decent manner. You'll see it later.

Post subject: Re: Youtube Tutorials
PostPosted: 2014/02/06, 17:12 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Role: Professional
Quote:
Any tips on preparing the thing so it's a lot smoother?

I'm not an expert on video tutorials by all means, but when I did the videoblogs on Duality, my workflow was like the following:

1. Come up with a general topic on the blog, or a multitude of topics in certain cases.
  2. Structure them until the overall message makes sense and there is some kind of a "red thread" the viewer can follow from start to end.
  3. Write down a script, sketch what exactly I'm going to explain how and when.
  4. Capture video footage that accompanies the script.
  5. Record myself while watching the previously recorded footage, roughly following the script.
  6. Post-edit audio, re-record certain portions when necessary.
  7. Post-edit the video footage and apply the final audio to it.
  8. Watch it a couple of times to make sure everything is allright. If not, go back.
  9. Done. Upload it to Youtube.

It turned out to be rather lengthy and I spend a lot of time doing these blogs. You seem to have a faster way, and that's probably a good thing. However, post-editing is not a bad thing either. If I put all my videoblogs out there without taking time for re-recording parts that I screwed up on first try, their quality level would be a lot lower. :D It took ages, but still a thing worth considering - especially for tutorials!

Post subject: Re: Youtube Tutorials
PostPosted: 2014/02/06, 17:37 

Adam wrote:
*snip*

Mmmm, I want to get a nice intro somewhere along the line at least. I guess I can do some post-record editing, though I want to keep that to a minimum. I do have sort of a script, not in exact words, but more like bullet points with things I want to discuss and things I shouldn't forget to say (exceptions and the like).

In any case, thanks! I'll keep improving! :)