Adam's Lair Forum

game development and casual madness
It is currently 2017/04/27, 05:24

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Youtube Tutorials
PostPosted: 2014/02/10, 02:01 

Role: Hobbyist
I've redone the first video. Tell me what you think!

I tried to reduce my "um"-ing, keep my voice up throughout the video to keep it interesting and added some stuff at the front on what you get when you download the engine. I also uploaded it in higher quality than before.

PostPosted: 2014/02/10, 07:01 

I watched the video.

My first big thought: maybe a video JUST on the interface is not helpful? Maybe you need to be working with example content for it to really make sense?

I don't know. For me personally, if/when I was starting out, then seeing somebody make an example game would be really helpful. Even if it was broken up into separate videos based on "topics."

And I am sure you are going to at some point get content in there. I guess my suggestion is get it in now, start using it, and just explain each new part of the interface as you use it?

I mean, all information is good information. But these are my thoughts, and I only want you to spend your time meaningfully is all, since you're being so kind as to start making videos.

PostPosted: 2014/02/10, 08:48 

charles wrote:
I watched the video.

My first big thought: maybe a video JUST on the interface is not helpful? Maybe you need to be working with example content for it to really make sense?

I don't know. For me personally, if/when I was starting out, then seeing somebody make an example game would be really helpful. Even if it was broken up into separate videos based on "topics."

And I am sure you are going to at some point get content in there. I guess my suggestion is get it in now, start using it, and just explain each new part of the interface as you use it?

I mean, all information is good information. But these are my thoughts, and I only want you to spend your time meaningfully is all, since you're being so kind as to start making videos.

Yes, I'm going to be making a small game throughout the series to show you how easy it is. I want to make sure it's easy to understand to everyone what I'm doing, so that's why I start from the very basics :).

I have a list of episodes currently planned in the main post!

PostPosted: 2014/02/10, 11:21 

Role: Professional
Nice video tut!

Can't wait fot he more experienced tuts :).

PostPosted: 2014/02/12, 15:25 

Number 2's up!

PostPosted: 2014/02/12, 22:43 
Site Admin
Site Admin

In the beginning I was a little worried that you'd stick entirely to theory, like in the first tutorial. Fortunately, you didn't :D At least not entirely. However, it's still lacking a bit of "flow", because the average viewer doesn't know where this is going. You need to define a destination, a goal, something like "Okay, in this tutorial, I'm going to use GameObjects to make a little physics sandbox". This sounds far more motivating to an unbiased user than "I'll explain you what GameObjects are".

Give them something practical and let them learn everything by example. Preparing some nice looking content will also help. Need a round object for demonstration purposes? Why not use a barrel instead of a grey circle?

The thing is, you can't generally expect your viewers to be motivated on their own, because they're usually not until you give them proof that what you're showing them is going to be awesome. Which isn't easy. But things like example content and clearly defined goals can make a huge difference. :)

I shared a link to your video in /r/devblogs, so you'll get a little more attention and (hopefully) feedback. I'll leave this to you in the future, though - feels more appropriate since you seem to be active on reddit as well :)

PostPosted: 2014/02/13, 04:31 

Mmmm, I see what you mean. I could have, say, dropped a ball onto a platform to see it in action or something.
I'll take it into consideration :).

Thing is that the first parts are more about understanding how stuff works instead of doing something practical with it. From this episode on I'm going to do more practical stuff. So that problem should be fixed at least.

I personally think my attitude became better, no? A bit less nervous and all that.

PostPosted: 2014/02/14, 10:50 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ekibyou wrote:
Mmmm, I see what you mean. I could have, say, dropped a ball onto a platform to see it in action or something.

Yep, that's the direction I was thinking about. :)

Ekibyou wrote:
Thing is that the first parts are more about understanding how stuff works instead of doing something practical with it. From this episode on I'm going to do more practical stuff. So that problem should be fixed at least.

It's a reasonable argument, and I can understand why you chose this structure. You shouldn't forget though, that most people will also get an intuitive grasp on the theory behind what they're doing while they are at it - as a side effect. I'm not sure whether this is the preferred way of learning for everyone, but it certainly is for me. If I were to start learning how to paint, I'd rather just get a canvas and color palette and get going, than reading books about it first. That said, I'm looking forward to your next tutorial episodes!

Ekibyou wrote:
I personally think my attitude became better, no? A bit less nervous and all that.

Actually, you didn't seem very nervous to me in the first video. I guess it's one of the things that you always notice yourself far more than everyone else does. :D

PostPosted: 2014/07/09, 06:44 

I figured I need to continue this, so episode 3 is up!

PostPosted: 2016/04/27, 19:58 

Hy Ekibou, how come you stopped these? They were good...