Adam's Lair Forum

game development and casual madness
It is currently 2017/04/27, 05:23

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: 2016/01/05, 15:00 
Novice Member
Novice Member

Role: Hobbyist
Hello everyone. I posted a tutorial to the wiki describing one way to create and handle bullets. The article covers bullet collisions, prefabs, and shooting bullets from a character, and briefly touches on how to add sound/visual effects.

https://github.com/AdamsLair/duality/wiki/Creating-Bullet-like-Objects

Considering it's the first one I've ever done, I'm sure there is lot's of improvements to be made, but I hope it is helpful.

PostPosted: 2016/01/05, 15:55 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Role: Professional
Thanks for contributing! :)

Since I didn't have time to do a thorough review of your tutorial, I have added a disclaimer tag to the top of the document, stating that the article has not yet received a core developer review. This is to make sure no inaccuracies or errors will be perceived as official best practices.

Don't let this hold you back on reviewing and iterating on the article yourself though, it would be awesome if the review and iteration process could shift towards to the community in the future!

From a first impression, you did a nice job with presenting the topic in an interesting way. Proper chapters, text formatting, images and code boxes are always a good sign.

PostPosted: 2016/01/05, 20:54 
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

The tutorial is good. Quite a needed expansion to the getting started.

Some very important points regarding needed components and explanation on what each method does.

Good job!

PostPosted: 2016/01/06, 09:15 
Novice Member
Novice Member

Adam wrote:
Thanks for contributing! :)

Since I didn't have time to do a thorough review of your tutorial, I have added a disclaimer tag to the top of the document, stating that the article has not yet received a core developer review. This is to make sure no inaccuracies or errors will be perceived as official best practices.

Don't let this hold you back on reviewing and iterating on the article yourself though, it would be awesome if the review and iteration process could shift towards to the community in the future!

From a first impression, you did a nice job with presenting the topic in an interesting way. Proper chapters, text formatting, images and code boxes are always a good sign.

Alright thank you very much. For other members of the community that write tutorials, what do you think about having a thread on these forums for tutorial authoring guidelines/tips? You could put in there that authors should put that disclaimer at the top of their articles, to be removed once a core developer reviews it. Could also have tips on posting images, formatting, etc. For my tutorial, I just referenced the others on the wiki, but having a central thread would be beneficial I believe.

Also, regarding images: I noticed the other tutorials have their images housed in the wiki's repo. I tried pushing to that repo with the images I used, but didn't have the permissions, so I instead created my own repo to house the images and referenced them that way. However, this seems like a problem for maintainability. What if I leave the community and delete my repo? Then the tutorial would be broken.
(No plans on this one, I'm loving Duality and plan on contributing much more :) )

I think there should be some process for pulling those images into the wiki repo. There might be a way to handle this with pull requests. However, I couldn't figure out how to submit one to the wiki. That might be because I am horrible with git.....

As a side note, thank you very much for creating Duality - it is the game engine I always wanted to create for myself. I hope that it's popularity grows because you and the engine deserve the recognition.

PostPosted: 2016/01/06, 14:22 
Site Admin
Site Admin

jdean300 wrote:
For other members of the community that write tutorials, what do you think about having a thread on these forums for tutorial authoring guidelines/tips?

This is a great idea. I'll set something up once I get around to it :)

jdean300 wrote:
I think there should be some process for pulling those images into the wiki repo. There might be a way to handle this with pull requests. However, I couldn't figure out how to submit one to the wiki. That might be because I am horrible with git.....

It's probably not you - I'm not sure Pull Requests for the wiki are a thing, but I agree that this would be the proper way to handle this. Not sure what better way there would be - one option would be external image hosting services, but that's not really better. Another way would be to create a dummy issue that hosts all the images, since you can upload images to GitHub by dragging them into the text box of an issue comment.

jdean300 wrote:
As a side note, thank you very much for creating Duality - it is the game engine I always wanted to create for myself. I hope that it's popularity grows because you and the engine deserve the recognition.

PostPosted: 2016/04/03, 09:52 
Novice Member
Novice Member

Hello!

I just discovered and installed Duality today, then did the Getting Started and Creating Bullet Like Objects tutorials. So far, I am blown away and am having a great time using Duality. As first impressions go, I can't imagine it making a better one.

I think I found a typo in this tutorial, no big deal :

Code:
public Vector2 FiringOffset { get; set; } = new Vector3(0, -40, 0);

Works slightly better as :
Code:
public Vector3 FiringOffset { get; set; } = new Vector3(0, -40, 0);

Thank you, everyone, for the engine and the tutorials, this has been the best introduction to a new piece of software I've had in a long time. I am eager to get into seeing what I can do with it.

Excellent work all around!

-ST

PostPosted: 2016/04/12, 23:49 

Thanks a load for the bullet tutorial - it really set me off on the right path

Just a comment: I think you should mention that the prefab bullet needs to be disabled (unless I'm missing something) When I followed the tutorial, upon running the initial bullet would still fire before pressing anything.

PostPosted: 2016/04/13, 06:54 
Site Admin
Site Admin

mika76 wrote:
Just a comment: I think you should mention that the prefab bullet needs to be disabled (unless I'm missing something) When I followed the tutorial, upon running the initial bullet would still fire before pressing anything.

Actually, you don't even need to keep the bullet object around in the Scene at all after creating the Prefab. As soon as the Prefab resource shows up in the Project View, you can safely delete the object from which you created it.

PostPosted: 2016/04/13, 08:44 

Adam wrote:
Actually, you don't even need to keep the bullet object around in the Scene at all after creating the Prefab. As soon as the Prefab resource shows up in the Project View, you can safely delete the object from which you created it.

Ah good to know. I actually searched around on the forums about working with prefabs but didn't find this info.

One question - if you remove the GameObject, how do you then edit your prefab after the fact?

PostPosted: 2016/04/13, 20:17 
Site Admin
Site Admin

mika76 wrote:
One question - if you remove the GameObject, how do you then edit your prefab after the fact?

Instantiate the Prefab again (double-click on it), edit the prefab-linked gameobject and hit the "Apply" button afterwards. ^^