game development and casual madness
It is currently 2017/05/23, 07:08

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: 2016/02/12, 05:16 
One-Hit Wonder
One-Hit Wonder

Role: Professional
Hey all! Just joined and had a few quick questions -

Have anyone used Duality for Multiplayer games? From what I can see there is no library for it?

Additionally are there any Isometric games or is there support for them? I've only seen plain 2D implementations so far. Appreciate the help!

-Xaviar

PostPosted: 2016/02/12, 19:03 
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Role: Gamer
xaviarrob wrote:
Hey all! Just joined and had a few quick questions -

Hello! Welcome to the forums!

xaviarrob wrote:
Have anyone used Duality for Multiplayer games? From what I can see there is no library for it?

I haven't seen anyone doing a multiplayer game with Duality, but I remember someone did manage to get a barebones networking plugin working, a few years ago. Here's the link to the post

xaviarrob wrote:
Additionally are there any Isometric games or is there support for them? I've only seen plain 2D implementations so far. Appreciate the help!

I don't think so, but you can try writing support for them as a Core plugin!

PostPosted: 2016/02/12, 19:21 
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Role: Hobbyist
Hey xaviarrob,

In my opinion, in every 2D rendering engine with Z-sorting, you can implement isometric graphics, since it's just sprites rendered on top of each other. It may not be the most convenient to do in Duality though, but it's possible, even with simple components.

PostPosted: 2016/02/13, 02:02 
Site Admin
Site Admin

As others have said, Duality doesn't support isometric games out of the box, but it doesn't get in the way if you choose to implement the required features in your game code.

I'd suggest to look into writing custom ICmpRenderer Components, which you can use to submit arbitrary vertex data for rendering, including Z coordinates for proper Z sorting. As far as tooling goes, it's probably easiest to use Tiled or another external editor for isometric tilemaps and write a custom importer for them in a custom editor plugin.

PostPosted: 2016/03/04, 14:37 

xaviarrob wrote:

I'm actually working on a multiplayer behavior on my game, but i had to change some configurations, switching from PCL to normal c# projects, adding some references and i'm using Sockets and Threads to do the stuff. That's the way i used to do when i was still developing in java, and it actually works in c# too! (sometimes)

if you want to do this, then this link might help, then you just need to right click your Core Project, add references, and add System.Net and remove System from your references, and then you should be on your way to make multiplayer games xD (i think it might be a good ideia to make some tutorial post to this...);

PostPosted: 2016/05/03, 11:27 
One-Hit Wonder
One-Hit Wonder

Is anyone else still using the networking plugin?

PostPosted: 2016/05/03, 18:52 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wilson222 wrote:

Probably not, since the linked post is pre-v2.0. Though, if there's source code available, you should be able to port it to the current Duality version without too much effort. Without any content to port, it's mostly just about fixing compiler errors that come up.

PostPosted: 2016/05/07, 10:33 
Novice Member
Novice Member

Adam wrote:
Wilson222 wrote:

Probably not, since the linked post is pre-v2.0. Though, if there's source code available, you should be able to port it to the current Duality version without too much effort. Without any content to port, it's mostly just about fixing compiler errors that come up.

Are there actually plans for implementing a network engine into duality in future?
Would be cool tho.

PostPosted: 2016/05/07, 11:27 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yothri wrote:
Are there actually plans for implementing a network engine into duality in future?

No plans so far. Duality is plugin-based for a reason, and with a core team that small (me), it's really important to not try to do everything at once. Networking code doesn't need to be hardwired into the core.

PostPosted: 2016/05/07, 11:52 
Novice Member
Novice Member

Adam wrote:
Yothri wrote:

No plans so far. Duality is plugin-based for a reason, and with a core team that small (me), it's really important to not try to do everything at once. Networking code doesn't need to be hardwired into the core.

True, well great project so far, now getting to know Duality for almost 2 days and its really very easy to use.

What i am still not understanding is how maps are handled, but i will figure that out myself or with the sample applications.

Just finished the Bullet Tutorial and everything works very well.
Great work on that engine!