Adam's Lair Forum

game development and casual madness
It is currently 2017/04/25, 12:25

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Old Sample?
PostPosted: 2016/04/25, 09:10 

Role: Hobbyist
Hi Adam

Is this an old sample or something? Is it available anywhere? It looks awesome, I'd love to try it out :)

Post subject: Re: Old Sample?
PostPosted: 2016/04/27, 07:10 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Role: Professional
This is Nullpunkt, a 30-minute space game that I've been developing with the immediate predecessor to Duality. Took me two years, but would have been much faster if Duality had already existed in its current form ^^

It's german, but there's a version available that has english subtitles. You can find them both here.

Edit: Before you run it, feel free to open Options.ini and adjust the screen resolution setting. Yeah, I know. Bad practices and all that. :D

Edit2: Oh, and that part of the tutorial when you are supposed to activate auto-targeting and speed? The keys for that are dot and comma on a german keyboard. It's the two keys on the upper right side of the space bar, left of the right shift key. Though I'm not sure anymore whether I checked keycodes or scancodes back then.

PostPosted: 2016/04/27, 12:32 

Wow this was fun! I'm loving your controlling method.

Also interesting source. I wonder, how would you do tutorial scenes like this in Duality now?

PostPosted: 2016/04/27, 18:50 
Site Admin
Site Admin

mika76 wrote:
Also interesting source. I wonder, how would you do tutorial scenes like this in Duality now?

I wouldn't really do a tutorial based on this, simply because a finished game, with all of its little hacks, quirks and complexities is not a good candidate. Too many moving parts to be examined easily.

It would be possible to do tutorials based on individual aspects of this though. For example, there is the dynamic lighting sample in the package manager, which is still a quite similar to the lighting system in Nullpunkt. And then there's the particle system sample, which has evolved away from how things were done in Nullpunkt, but also lacks a lot of the features that were used for various effects.

As far as the game itself goes, I'm tempted to say it would be easy to build something like this in Duality compared to building it from scratch or based on the Duality predecessor I used back then. It's definitely nothing you can piece together in a few days though. ^^

PostPosted: 2016/04/27, 19:07 

Hehe thanks and I agree on the tutorials on specific things, but what I meant in my previous question was the beginning tutorial of the game - the part where you teach people how to play. In the game you have a single scene with a whole bunch of yields which wait for the person to do whatever you asked. I'm interested in how this would work with the current Duality.

PostPosted: 2016/04/27, 19:23 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ah :) You can actually build something like this without too much effort. C# has this neat feature where it transparently converts yield methods into a state machine when compiling, which allows you to execute a method until the next yield statement and pick up at the same spot later.

Unity uses this for coroutines, and I had something similar in the code for Nullpunkt. I don't want to post source excerpts, because it's far too ugly to serve as an example, but the core concept is to ask the yield method (which returns an IEnumerable<X>) for its iterator using GetEnumerator. You can then call MoveNext whenever you want it to proceed to the next yield statement and the return value will tell you when it's done.