PostPosted: 2016/06/05, 22:56 
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Role: Hobbyist
What about the camera position?

PostPosted: 2016/06/06, 01:08 

Role: Observer
http://imgur.com/N01XRIl

Is this screenshot enough/what you needed, Adam?

And I'm pretty sure it's not the camera's position too... Well, I don't know how the camera works so... I don't know.

PostPosted: 2016/06/06, 09:40 

Role: Hobbyist
Maybe the best idea is to zip up the whole duality folder and put it on dropbox so we could have a look first hand.

In the meantime, unzip a new folder of duality (fresh) - download just the single sample (you mentioned you installed multiple then removed some) and try from scratch...

PostPosted: 2016/06/06, 12:20 

Here you go! (I uploaded it to File Dropper. Not that very famous, too lazy to create an account in Dropbox and shortened it to make it less scary lol)
http://bit.ly/1t0U10y

Alrighty then, it would be my 4th time starting from scratch though...

PostPosted: 2016/06/06, 18:57 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Role: Professional
I extracted the .rar file, opened up Duality and.. the Data folder is empty. So.. when you removed samples, did you delete its contents entirely..? Also, the application data setting StartScene is set to null, unlike what your screenshot shows..?

So I opened up the package manager and saw that the sample packages are still installed, which is likely a result of deleting the folders manually instead of uninstalling the packages via the package manager. No big deal: Uninstalled the space shooter sample to make Duality acknowledge it's gone, re-installed it and hit "Apply". After the editor was up again, I assigned StartScene via dragdrop, hit run game and all worked as expected.

Since the Data folder was completely empty, i.e. there was nothing that Duality potentially could have started, I'm assuming that you modified something prior to the upload? If this is true, can you upload an unaltered version? If it is not, can you clear up the origin of the uploaded package?

PostPosted: 2016/06/08, 04:59 

Nope, didn't touch anything at all before uploading.

I did manually try to remove the folders. How would I properly do it then? I wanted to try out other samples too but I still don't want to uninstall them. It's just too confusing...

PostPosted: 2016/06/08, 18:48 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Role: Professional
eMDy wrote:
I did manually try to remove the folders. How would I properly do it then?

You'd open the package manager (where you installed them), select them and hit "Uninstall" and then "Apply". Though that's probably not the issue here.

eMDy wrote:
Nope, didn't touch anything at all before uploading.

So that means the Data folder was already empty when you packed and uploaded Duality. Okay, uhm.. in that case there wasn't anything Duality could have run, so the black screen is to be expected. When you removed some of the samples by deleting folders, maybe you accidentally deleted a bit too much at some point? No clue otherwise.

I'm not sure what to recommend here, except to start over (just to be extra sure) and use the initial advice of changing the StartScene. If that doesn't work for a fresh project, let us know, though I think there shouldn't be any trouble. If there is, we're going to need an exact list of things you did from downloading a fresh Duality install to the point where problems occurred, so we can make more sense about what happened. I think at this point we're both equally confused.

PostPosted: 2016/06/09, 14:15 

Uhm, I don't want to leave this post without saying a proper goodbye so yeah... I messed up my computer recently and then 'snap' everything's gone. Nothing to do with Duality though so it's not a big deal.

Anyways, since my computer got reformatted I guess everything will work fine now when I try to use Duality again. I still don't have Visual Studio 'cause that's one heck of a long download for me.

I'll keep you guys posted if I encounter a problem again :)

P.S. What a small, nice community :) This should get some more love.... Actually, quality over quantity so I think it's already great if it's a small community haha :D