Adam's Lair Forum

game development and casual madness
It is currently 2017/04/26, 06:00

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: 2016/06/05, 03:15 

Role: Observer
I need some help running the game samples/packages. I find it confusing and there's no tutorial about it.

In my first try, I got perfectly running. I tested the Flap or Die first then run the game w/ Alt-F5. I deleted the folder in the project view and want to try out some more samples. I decided to install most of it so I won't go back and forth to the packages menu. All of the new downloaded samples are shown in the project view. I deleted the rest of them and left space shooter. I tried running the game again using Alt-F5 and it didn't work. The editor is still thinking that I'm supposed to still run the Flap or Die. I don't know what to do and I decided to re-install Duality again. I downloaded only the space shooter and tried running it again but it shows only black screen. I decided to run it through sandbox mode and well, it's working. But I want to run it not in that way... Oh and, if I wanted to try out another sample, I need to go to the directory of Duality and drag a folder in project view just to test it out. That is so.... not convenient...

So, yeah... I'm hoping someone could help me get familiar with this. Else (not trying to bash or anything), I got no choice but to move on to another one even though I'm kinda' liking this one.

PostPosted: 2016/06/05, 03:52 
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Role: Gamer
You need to change the starting scene by going on Options/Settings -> App Data (I think) and changing the starting scene.

PostPosted: 2016/06/05, 10:01 

RockyTV wrote:
You need to change the starting scene by going on Options/Settings -> App Data (I think) and changing the starting scene.

No luck. It's a shame I'm getting a hard time running samples :(

PostPosted: 2016/06/05, 10:38 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Role: Professional
Changing the starting scene as RockyTV suggested is exactly how you let editor and game know which sample scene to run. The reason it worked for Flap or Die is because the editor just picks one of the available Scenes if none is set - so if you install multiple samples then you'll have to change the starting scene manually as described. That, or open them in the sandbox.

If that doesn't work for you, we're going to need some more information ^^ For example, if you try to run a sample externally (i.e. not in the sandbox) and it doesn't work, what are the contents of the logfile.txt immediately afterwards?

PostPosted: 2016/06/05, 11:34 

Adam wrote:
Changing the starting scene as RockyTV suggested is exactly how you let editor and game know which sample scene to run. The reason it worked for Flap or Die is because the editor just picks one of the available Scenes if none is set - so if you install multiple samples then you'll have to change the starting scene manually as described. That, or open them in the sandbox.

If that doesn't work for you, we're going to need some more information ^^ For example, if you try to run a sample externally (i.e. not in the sandbox) and it doesn't work, what are the contents of the logfile.txt immediately afterwards?

Okay, to keep things more simple, I uninstalled every sample I have and left Space Shooter. I have it's folder in the Project View and the Application Data is set to Data/Scene. I pressed the "eye" button and its still set to that. I tried running the game (Alt-F5) and I got a black/blank screen.

Here is a screenshot of my screen: http://imgur.com/XPjOHSO
And here is the log file: http://pastebin.com/PF9JXQRU

By the way, I think when I played around with the Flap or Die I also don't have anything on the Scene View so I don't think it's an issue right?

PostPosted: 2016/06/05, 11:38 

Role: Hobbyist
If you look at your screenshot the box is red - which means it can't find the scene file.

Open your DualStickSpaceShooter tree node and drag the scene file to that box. It should change color and then try run...

PostPosted: 2016/06/05, 11:40 

mika76 wrote:
If you look at your screenshot the box is red - which means it can't find the scene file.

Open your DualStickSpaceShooter tree node and drag the scene file to that box. It should change color and then try run...

Was about to update this just to say I found a way for it to find the scene file lol. Anyways, it's still in black screen.

EDIT: The game is running through sandbox mode but I want it to run using Alt-F5 though :)

PostPosted: 2016/06/05, 12:26 
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Role: Gamer
eMDy wrote:
EDIT: The game is running through sandbox mode but I want it to run using Alt-F5 though :)
It should work even through Alt-F5 if you set the scene in the application data. Maybe it didn't save? Try hitting the save button and then running.

PostPosted: 2016/06/05, 12:59 

hsnabn wrote:
eMDy wrote:
It should work even through Alt-F5 if you set the scene in the application data. Maybe it didn't save? Try hitting the save button and then running.

Still no luck, sadly :( Duality is both for 32 bit and 64 bit right? (Probably yes since I got Flap or Die working).

PostPosted: 2016/06/05, 14:54 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Role: Professional
eMDy wrote:
Duality is both for 32 bit and 64 bit right? (Probably yes since I got Flap or Die working).

Yes, both 32 bit and 64 bit are supported.

By now I've downloaded the Duality binaries, installed a few samples and checked for potential problems. All seems to work as expected so far, I can switch between sample scenes as it has been described before.

So the game is running in sandbox mode, but not in the external launcher, right? As others have pointed out, that probably means the start scene from the application settings can't be found. Can you tell us what exactly the application settings editor shows you now, after you've set it?