PostPosted: 2014/09/24, 16:12 
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Role: Hobbyist
14/03/2015
ALPHA 1 RELEASED woot!

03/12/2015
ALPHA 2 is ready!

Hey everyone, this is the first picture of my work-in-progress game Broken Galaxy.
It will (hopefully) be a "4X Lite" game of galactic conquest, played in real time but with the possibility to stop the action at any time and issue orders as in a turn based game.

In this first gif you can see that the random map generation is complete, as is the navigation/zoom via mouse, and finally there are some star systems spinning around :mrgreen: (it's a little choppy since I had to take it at 15fps to stay in imgur size limit)

Not pictured, the main menu, which I think will be reviewed in the future.

Any questions? comments? suggestions?

Last edited by SirePi on 2015/03/14, 18:16, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 2014/09/24, 20:58 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Role: Professional
As a fan of this kind of genre, I'm really looking forward to your first demo version. Camera navigation looks great so far, as does the early version of your galaxy map :)

What are your plans for the main gameplay flow?

PostPosted: 2014/09/25, 08:36 
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Adam wrote:
What are your plans for the main gameplay flow?

Well, for the first iteration I am planning to make a clone of this
http://www.kongregate.com/games/kendja/ ... ittle-wars

Once the basic gameplay is working, I will start adding some more 4X-style features (different planet types, a basic tech tree, maybe racial bonuses, ...) but still trying to keep the gameplay fast enough.

I will aim to try to keep a full game below a couple of hours in the biggest maps.

Once everything is sorted, maybe I will try to look into adding a multiplayer mode.

PostPosted: 2014/09/26, 12:10 
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

The new shader used for the star system, with the fading trails

Next step is trying to make the various circles (star and planets) look more smooth..

@Adam: Why won't my gifs look as smooth as yours? ;(

PostPosted: 2014/09/26, 17:24 
Site Admin
Site Admin

SirePi wrote:
@Adam: Why won't my gifs look as smooth as yours? ;(

No idea. I'm new to this animated gif stuff as well :D However, your gifs do look quite smooth to me, except for the visual aliasing artifacts, but I suppose they're in the game as well? Have you turned off the Antialiazing setting in Duality?

Fading planet trails look good by the way! As for each planet, is their speed randomized or do you actually calculate it from the planets mass and distance to its host star? Not that it would affect the game, might just be a cool gimmick :D

PostPosted: 2014/09/26, 19:12 
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Adam wrote:
No idea. I'm new to this animated gif stuff as well :D However, your gifs do look quite smooth to me, except for the visual aliasing artifacts, but I suppose they're in the game as well? Have you turned off the Antialiazing setting in Duality?

Yes, they appear also in the game, and no, the Antialiasing is set to High.. but I think it's due to fhe way I set up the shader (I don't have much experience so it's sort of my first experiments) to draw the actual fragments. They trails were pretty scaled as well before I found out how to smooth them :D

Previously I had a different GameObject for each star, and each planet, and each trail (so potentially I had 11 GameObjects per system) but once past 1000 it would kill the framerate to just update their positions, so I went for the shader approach

Adam wrote:
Fading planet trails look good by the way! As for each planet, is their speed randomized or do you actually calculate it from the planets mass and distance to its host star? Not that it would affect the game, might just be a cool gimmick :D

No, no.. there is no mass or anything for the moment :mrgreen: they are just randomized on creation.. though I could always allow a different range of randomization depending on the genral size and slot they occupy.. will keep it in mind :D

PostPosted: 2014/10/10, 16:44 
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

New update.. star systems in their (possibly) first final state (it's the first because for the first version I won't care on planet types and colonization, but they will hopefully appear later)

Star system are properly named, asteroid fields are marked (I don't like their color yet) and you can send fleets around to capture stuff (yes, it's UNDER the link.. I have to fix the Z :mrgreen: )

All made with a custom renderer, the shader had to go (although I lost some fps, I more than compensated with the capability to draw more easily around :D)

Next stop.. enemies!

PostPosted: 2014/10/10, 17:34 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Looking great :)

I'm also kind of glad to hear you switched to a custom renderer implementation, since that sounds a lot more flexible and appropriate than custom shaders in the case of drawing your star systems and planets. If performance ever becomes a real concern, feel free to share some of your code and let us have a look at it. :D

PostPosted: 2014/10/10, 17:41 
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Adam wrote:
If performance ever becomes a real concern, feel free to share some of your code and let us have a look at it.

Should be ok for now.. I was a little worried at start because I was getting up to 19ms/frame with a large galaxy generation (which is 80 star system, which for now equals to ~4000 quads + all the text and icons), but this was while in debug from visual studio.
Starting the game from the launcher goes down to ~4ms/frame, so I think I still have margin to add unoptimized stuff around :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 2015/01/16, 20:48 
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Just a quick update showing the minimal loading screen and switch to the game scene
Gfycat Video - Click to Play. [Source]

and the new gameplay features: the new background, a simple AI player (the red one) and the star system description panel (not finished yet)
Gfycat Video - Click to Play. [Source]