Since it's my first post in the forum, I feel the urge to introduce myself (I hope it's not a problem if I do this in that topic) - I'm loeller, IRL a mechatronics engineering BSc student, first encountered programming two years ago, when started university - and it sucked me in immediately.
As I dig in game development, I was astonished by the possibilities opened up, and no surprise, during my initial research I found Unity3d which I acquired an intermediate level by now, though I never learnt C# (uni went by the classic C - C++ way) - just got used to it
Before that I burned several hours a day by producing computer music, and a little 3d modeling (Maya being my weapon of choice), but nowdays I consider my primary hobby as game development, or at least watching related youtube channels
- and thats how I found Duality, via the gamefromscratch channel. I just played around it in the last week, amazed by its high level extensibility and the fact, that it was created by such a few people.TL;DR: hi, I'm nerd, Duality is cool
And now after my wall of text, here are my thoughts on Broken Galaxy
First things first - I actually enjoyed playing it, and by me, that's a word, since I tend to get bored by games real quick - especially WIP or game jam ones. By now only two complete match - with one opponent on the smallest map size (10x10), the first one quickly lost since the poor initial position of my 'empire'.
What I absolutely liked and please have my congratulations for that, is the UI and overall art style. It's clean, nice, and polished - professional. Even if some functionality is lacking at the moment.
However, I found the controls being a bit counterintuitive, and although I read your development posts, the first 5 minutes in game were annoying, and this can scare a large number of potential players away (yep, I know it's just an alpha, don't take this too heavily on your heart) There are some game mechanics, that may seem obvious to you, but there was a struggle recognizing them. Here's a list, I hope you find my criticism constructive and helpful
- In my opinion it should be pointed out in your devlog, or in game, that that ships and mines are produced automatically, and there's no way to give orders to individual ships. That may reduced initial confusion.
- I couldn't recognize a pattern how often a system sends it's ships, and at first it was weird that they don't proceed with my orders immediately
- Some sort of feedback on a system's production value would be great
- As Adam pointed out, colonizing planets and populate them is too quick and cheap, so it doesn't have optimal impact on gameplay.
- It'd be great, if the player could somehow split a fleet. ATM it can be risky to send the whole fleet off a system. A seemingly easy implementation could be to let the player set a minimal fleet size to a system, and only the ships exceeding that would be sent forward.
- I found the mine limit low - 10 points of power is not much during the end game. They also being built slower than ships, but in my opinion the opposite would be more reasonable
- Have you considered any other battle models than the current one? none linear ones with some random elements could make the gameplay more exciting.
- Another way would be to bring in more excitement and surprises is to implement some sort of fog-of war mechanism - as Adam suggested in a previous post
So overall, (and despite I may sounded a little bit negative) there's great potential in this game. It may sound weird, but I liked the casual, shallow 4X experience, that I don't have to play many hours long matches, I liked the marching fleet experience too.
Keep up good work, looking for updates
Well, now thats
a wall of text for a first post
ps.: it's totally understandable, if you reject this offer, though I'd gladly help you with this project if I can, i.e. by creating score/sfx. I have a rather abandoned soundcloud (soundcloud.com/mfeproject) account, but I find that rather underrepresentative, since I have several 80% finished tracks laying around (you know it's the 80% finished, so only 80% to go sort of 80%
). So PM me in case of interest