Adam's Lair Forum

game development and casual madness
It is currently 2017/04/25, 08:35

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: 2015/12/04, 13:05 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Role: Professional
Just played two rounds and really like it ^^ Not even sure this game needs technology / science as another layer, I kind of like the simplicity of it right now. In any case, nice work! Will stick around for future versions.

Here's some more detailed feedback:

• The menu is awesome. I really like the hex layout.
  • Switching resolutions isn't implemented yet, right? Doesn't do anything for me, not sure if it's a bug or just a ToDo.
  • The volume buttons here are a bit counter-intuitive - I mean, they're both pointing down. Totally get that you're keeping the layout symmetrical, but maybe consider an exception in this case? :D
  • I really like the loading screen. Feels seamless and a lot more polished than the usual "Well, let's just freeze for a sec" :)
  • Ingame, the Camera movement feels a bit "sluggish". I'm in control of a whole galactic empire, so I should be able to quickly and accurately jump from one side to the other, right? It's not a big problem, but I'd appreciate less inertia / something more exact in all the smoothness ^^
  • You really need feedback on the controls! At first I didn't even realize how to do anything until I looked it up, simply because my random clicking and dragging stuff didn't seem to do anything. My suggestion: Highlight the currently selected system and display a line while dragging. That way, both click and drag have an immediate feedback.
  • Speaking of feedback, switching cursor icons when hovering before completing an action is quite good already! Just easy to miss because it requires you to (nearly) complete the action before seeing it.
  • I keep forgetting which systems I colonized where, also a population overview would be nice. So.. is there a way to display some more info directly on the galaxy map? Maybe a single (summed) population counter? And as far as colonization goes, maybe just somehow highlight systems where everything is already colonized, so I have an easy binary distinction?
  • I think the population grows a bit too fast, reducing the reward of holding a system for a long time. Not sure though ^^
  • A general issue of games like this is how to have an interesting end game, because you can often see a general tendency long before the game ends, making it less engaging to play. I'm not sure how to solve this, but maybe you could introduce an element of uncertainty? Like, don't let me see the number of enemy ships and mines, except for the systems adjacent to my own ones - and then add an AI tactic of sometimes (!) building up big piles of ships behind the front line for a sneak attack?

All in all, great work. Looking forward to future releases :D

PostPosted: 2015/12/04, 15:10 
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Role: Hobbyist
Thanks for the comments ^^ I'm glad you liked it.

Regarding the status of the game, this version was more or less the same as alpha 1 with the added end-game menu and the remake of the whole UI plugin I used for it. And yes, the whole options menu is just a work in progress, none of it works :mrgreen:

I'll keep in mind all of your feedback, especially for what's concerning the balancing of the various things inside the game and giving feedback to the player.

Hopefully now that I have the UI fixed in place it won't take that long between versions (last famous words...)

PostPosted: 2015/12/16, 17:23 

That was way fun!

PostPosted: 2016/01/10, 12:13 
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Hey all,

Since it's my first post in the forum, I feel the urge to introduce myself (I hope it's not a problem if I do this in that topic) - I'm loeller, IRL a mechatronics engineering BSc student, first encountered programming two years ago, when started university - and it sucked me in immediately.
As I dig in game development, I was astonished by the possibilities opened up, and no surprise, during my initial research I found Unity3d which I acquired an intermediate level by now, though I never learnt C# (uni went by the classic C - C++ way) - just got used to it ;)
Before that I burned several hours a day by producing computer music, and a little 3d modeling (Maya being my weapon of choice), but nowdays I consider my primary hobby as game development, or at least watching related youtube channels :D - and thats how I found Duality, via the gamefromscratch channel. I just played around it in the last week, amazed by its high level extensibility and the fact, that it was created by such a few people.

TL;DR: hi, I'm nerd, Duality is cool

And now after my wall of text, here are my thoughts on Broken Galaxy
First things first - I actually enjoyed playing it, and by me, that's a word, since I tend to get bored by games real quick - especially WIP or game jam ones. By now only two complete match - with one opponent on the smallest map size (10x10), the first one quickly lost since the poor initial position of my 'empire'.

What I absolutely liked and please have my congratulations for that, is the UI and overall art style. It's clean, nice, and polished - professional. Even if some functionality is lacking at the moment.
However, I found the controls being a bit counterintuitive, and although I read your development posts, the first 5 minutes in game were annoying, and this can scare a large number of potential players away (yep, I know it's just an alpha, don't take this too heavily on your heart) There are some game mechanics, that may seem obvious to you, but there was a struggle recognizing them. Here's a list, I hope you find my criticism constructive and helpful

• In my opinion it should be pointed out in your devlog, or in game, that that ships and mines are produced automatically, and there's no way to give orders to individual ships. That may reduced initial confusion.
  • I couldn't recognize a pattern how often a system sends it's ships, and at first it was weird that they don't proceed with my orders immediately
  • Some sort of feedback on a system's production value would be great
  • As Adam pointed out, colonizing planets and populate them is too quick and cheap, so it doesn't have optimal impact on gameplay.
  • It'd be great, if the player could somehow split a fleet. ATM it can be risky to send the whole fleet off a system. A seemingly easy implementation could be to let the player set a minimal fleet size to a system, and only the ships exceeding that would be sent forward.
  • I found the mine limit low - 10 points of power is not much during the end game. They also being built slower than ships, but in my opinion the opposite would be more reasonable
  • Have you considered any other battle models than the current one? none linear ones with some random elements could make the gameplay more exciting.
  • Another way would be to bring in more excitement and surprises is to implement some sort of fog-of war mechanism - as Adam suggested in a previous post

So overall, (and despite I may sounded a little bit negative) there's great potential in this game. It may sound weird, but I liked the casual, shallow 4X experience, that I don't have to play many hours long matches, I liked the marching fleet experience too.

Keep up good work, looking for updates :)

Well, now thats a wall of text for a first post :)
ps.: it's totally understandable, if you reject this offer, though I'd gladly help you with this project if I can, i.e. by creating score/sfx. I have a rather abandoned soundcloud (soundcloud.com/mfeproject) account, but I find that rather underrepresentative, since I have several 80% finished tracks laying around (you know it's the 80% finished, so only 80% to go sort of 80% :D ). So PM me in case of interest :)

PostPosted: 2016/01/10, 13:42 
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

loeller wrote:

Welcome to the forums! :mrgreen:

Thanks for the detailed review and suggestions; unfortunately I just finished spending my Christmas holidays in bed with a fever (lucky me) and now I'm back to work, with not that much free time hanging around to work on the game. Hopefully the situation should improve soon, and I'll take care to improve the game with mostly if not all of yours and Adam's suggestions.
There are still a lot of things on the plate to introduce (some sort of tech tree, fleet splitting, fog of war, definitely more feedback and instructions for new players, etc..) so bear with me for a while :mrgreen:

Finally, regarding the offer for music and sfx, I'll definitely keep you in mind once I reach that part. Thanks a lot again!

PostPosted: 2016/01/10, 19:21 
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Role: Gamer
Uhh, just going a bit off-topic to welcome loeller.

Welcome, loeller!

And uhh, carry on as you were, folks.

PostPosted: 2016/01/10, 20:21 
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

SirePi wrote:

Have luck with that! :)
In the meanwhile, I may try myself, and create something using Duality.
hsnabn wrote:
Uhh, just going a bit off-topic to welcome loeller.
Welcome, loeller!
And uhh, carry on as you were, folks.

Thanks, hsnabn! :)

PostPosted: 2016/01/13, 11:52 
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Very quick display of the new system selection indicator and drag arrow

Gfycat Video - Click to Play. [Source]

PostPosted: 2016/01/13, 12:33 
Site Admin
Site Admin

SirePi wrote:
Very quick display of the new system selection indicator and drag arrow

Looks awesome :D

The systems (planets, sun) and their text look very small compared to the selection and drag indicators though - can you scale one thing up or the other down a bit? Or maybe keep the scale, but.. I think this is more about "visual weight": The systems look small and rely on fine details, while the indicators look bold and big, but it might feel better if they were roughly on the same scale.

PostPosted: 2016/01/13, 14:26 
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Role: Gamer
I have to agree with Adam, the selection indicator/line is a bit too large compared to the rest of the scene.

It is a pretty sweet indicator, nevertheless. Do you tile the arrow multiple times or just use a very long arrow and cut out the part that is unneeded?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next