Adam's Lair Forum

game development and casual madness
It is currently 2017/04/25, 08:36

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: 2016/01/13, 15:05 
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Role: Hobbyist
Yes, I agree with you both that it's a bit too big.. I am always afraid that stuff I make will be too small and end up overdoing it ^^ I think I'll probably go and make it half-size.
hsnabn wrote:
It is a pretty sweet indicator, nevertheless. Do you tile the arrow multiple times or just use a very long arrow and cut out the part that is unneeded?

Actually I have a pixmap for the tip, and I obtain the rest using a repeating pixmap and playing with UV coordinates.

PostPosted: 2016/01/23, 01:45 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Role: Professional
Wanted to go to bed about an hour ago, but then I decided to play a bit Broken Galaxy:

Just took the last star system. Now I'm tired, but still tempted to click "New Game" again. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 2016/02/03, 13:51 
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Hey, SirePI, do you know the game Solarmax 2?

I've just discovered it on itch.io, but a free online version exists on Kongregate [linked above]. It's very similar to Broken Galaxy in terms of combat mechanics, although is more of a mobile game than a fully featured 4X. The levels are handcrafted instead of being generated, for example.

It's been greenlit, so it seems many people like this kind of stuff. Just saying... ;)

PostPosted: 2016/02/03, 16:03 
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

loeller wrote:
Hey, SirePI, do you know the game Solarmax 2?

Haha, yes I know about it, I played it a long time ago, when it first came out on Kongregate (now I don't have as much free time available to follow all the flash games that come around ^^) Thanks for pointing it out.

In fact, I have been thinking about trying to do something similar to Solarmax in regard to the combat mechanics (i.e. fights are not resolved immediately but take some time) - which could go together with my tech tree improvements on ships attack and defense, but I'm afraid that it would not go well with the mines mechanic.. I'll think about it a little more though.

@Adam: glad to see that the game is still interesting enough for you to give it a go once in a while ^^ it's really a huge boost to my self-esteem :mrgreen:

At the moment, I'm working on the planetary modifiers and a very basic tech tree.. probably I'll have to review my initial expectations on it to keep it more easily achievable in a human time-frame. I'll keep you posted :)

PostPosted: 2016/02/03, 20:35 
Site Admin
Site Admin

SirePi wrote:
@Adam: glad to see that the game is still interesting enough for you to give it a go once in a while ^^
I actually played a round or two yesterday ^^

One thing that I note in most rounds is that they're decided about half way in because of the sheer mass of ships one player accumulates, which allows him to conquer more star systems, which in turn leads to more ships. I think there should be some mechanic that counters this to a degree, so it stays more interesting in the late game. Ideas on this:

• Limit the amount of ships that can stay at one system simultaneously. This could depend on the maximum population of the system, but remain somewhat around 40 - 80. That way, there could be a lot more strategy involved to conquer a system, because you can't simply gather a group of 500 and roll over any defense.
  • Mines could play a bigger role. Not sure how exactly :mrgreen: Maybe it would be possible to spend ships in order to permanently (until it's captured) increase the maximum mine count for a system? Increasing it by 5 could cost 5 ships, then 10, then 20, then 40, etc., so this can't be increased indefinitely - or at least it wouldn't make sense.
  • Something about an empire-wide ship construction decrease ("corruption" or something) that becomes gradually worse the more ships the empire currently possesses.
  • Some kind of game mechanic that can be done more efficiently the less amount of star systems there are in the empire. Maybe research could be slower the more systems there are? Not sure though.

Anyway, I hope you don't mind me dropping a bag of random ideas on you. Feel free to discard them all, it's your game and you obviously did well without me rambling about stuff ^^

Quote:
At the moment, I'm working on the planetary modifiers and a very basic tech tree.. probably I'll have to review my initial expectations on it to keep it more easily achievable in a human time-frame. I'll keep you posted :)

Awesome :D Looking forward to it!

(Also, get your game on itch.io! ;) )

PostPosted: 2016/02/05, 10:40 
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Adam wrote:
One thing that I note in most rounds is that they're decided about half way in because of the sheer mass of ships one player accumulates, which allows him to conquer more star systems, which in turn leads to more ships. I think there should be some mechanic that counters this to a degree, so it stays more interesting in the late game. Ideas on this:

Yes, that's the main weakness in these kind of games; once you get the 50% +1 of the production capabilities locked in, you can pretty much sit down and wait until you have enough units to steamroll everything else left.

I agree that there needs to be some sort of mechanic to counterbalance this, to a certain extent. I was thinking about something like your "corruption" as well.. maybe more linked to the number of systems, planets or population units one has under his command.

And don't worry about dumping ideas, I'm always open to new ones ^^

Adam wrote:
(Also, get your game on itch.io! ;) )

Alright alright.. let me finish something and decide on a style for the logo and title screen :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 2016/09/12, 14:10 
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Warning: Wall of text incoming. Rant on.

Well, it's been a long since I had time to work on Broken Galaxy, and I believe the hour is upon me to write some kind of "postmortem" for the project.

Hopefully, the project is not dead, but let's be honest.. it hasn't been that much alive for a while now, and I only have to blame myself for it. But more on this later on.

First of all, in the years I have been working on the project, I had the chance to somewhat understand my own limitations and drawbacks; Duality is an amazing piece of code (I'll never get tired of saying it ^^) the freedom and flexibility that the engine gives you (even if limited to 2.5D) are its biggest strength. And, in my case, my greatest enemy.

So the game development began: at start I needed to put in place the basic functionalities such as the procedural generation of the map and fleet movement.. nothing too complicated, and most of the code was Duality-independent so I could do it in a simple Windows Forms application. Everything was great.

Then it was the time of starting to give commands to the game, and for that I needed a UI. One of my biggest "complaints" (it's not a complaint per se, more like a "it would be nice if") is the absence of an official UI system; but hey, I'm a programmer, this is what I do for a living, surely I can put together a simple UI. Challenge accepted!

And that, I did.. I began putting together a very basic Widget system, but then I thought.. hey, since everything is a GameObject, why not make it possible to rotate stuff, and put them in the world space, not only in the overlay. And hey, what if I want to reuse this? I need to be able to use different graphics for each Widget right? And maybe some simple tweening could be neat to have.

I kept crunching code with little regard to how much it made sense, as long as it was steadily moving on in the direction I wanted. There would be time to clean it up later on.
The game was finally taking form, I could move stuff around, and click stuff around, and a very basic AI (more of a AS - artificial stupity, really) was prepared to have someone to test it against.

And the UI project grew, and as it grew, I thought that it could be more useful to other people as well if I were to split all these sub-libraries in their own single plugin, so that they could be used singularly instead of having a do-it-all monolith.

So refactoring happened, and everything was working again, and I could simply add my plugins to each other and to the game project, and finally the development began again.

But something was different, and I had a feeling that what I did was too complex to manage in the editor.. so back to the drawing board, trying to simplify it all.
Meanwhile, Duality kept improving and, especially at the time of going from version 1 to version 2, a lot had changed so a lot had to change in my plugins to keep them compatible. Completely understandable, nothing to complain here.

Once I was more or less satisfied with the results, well, I found that I might have used a teeny-tiny different class in Duality itself, so let's fork it and add just one small insignificant change. Oh how I was wrong... keeping up with the changes in the trunk became almost unbearable. At the same time, I had the wonderful (hint: sarcasm) idea of having a hexagonal interface. Sure it looks cool, but it's hell to manage.

But you know what? if I only were to allow for arbitrary shapes to be clickable, and not only the classic rectangle.. well, back to change the UI plugin. And the rest of the plugins because now I need a different kind of data structure, and why not?

Fast forward of a couple of months, the hexagonal UI is still a mess to work with (especially to position), I still cannot find a reliable way to show the UI in the editor without starting the scene, and because of that I find myself scrapping a number of planned features for the game because the idea of coding the interface for them is making me sweat cold.

Then life and job happened, I get back home and I'm tired, and the last thing I want is to look at that code, that I have been staring at for the last couple of years. Maybe I could restart anew? AGAIN? maybe another project? BUT WHAT ABOUT THIS ONE?

Anyway, that's where I am. I believe I chewed a lot more than I could. Maybe not so at the beginning, but I kept shoving stuff in my mouth until I could not stand it anymore. And I'm sorry for that. At the same time, I feel like I know better my limits (for example, it has become painfully clear that I have absolutely no talent for UI design :mrgreen: ).

Well, the game (as the rest of the projects) is currently in a limbo. Maybe one day I'll work on it again and hopefully take it to the end, maybe not with this engine (again, there is nothing wrong with Duality, but in this case it's asking me to do things that I am not sure I have the knowledge to be able to finish - hope Adam won't get mad at me if that's the case ^^).

If anyone were to be interested in the source code, feel free to ask! As for the other projects, they are still there on GitHub.
I would like to be able to team up with someone from the forum, to scrap whatever useable code I wrote in this time (or even start anew) and to make a serious, simple, and working Community Plugin with some basic stuff inside (maybe even a UI system? :mrgreen: )

So.. I believe that's all. Rant over. And sorry for the wall of text.
Keep up the good work everyone! :mrgreen: and chew slowly!!!

PostPosted: 2016/09/13, 17:03 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Whew. Good writeup. :+1:

I'm a bit sad that this project hasn't seen any progress recently, but it's completely understandable too. I have reached the point of being overwhelmed with open tasks and problems myself with one or two past projects, and discontinued a few games for this reason. Sometimes you need to soldier through, or cut it down, or even to start over, and sometimes it just makes more sense to move on. It all depends on so many things. Whatever you do with Broken Galaxy, it's an achievement on its own and I'm sure you gained a lot of experience in building it - the work you put in won't be for nothing if you move on.

In any case, hope to hear about what you do going forward - whether it's Broken Galaxy, a 4X game, plugin or something else, related to Duality or not. ^^