Adam's Lair Forum

game development and casual madness
It is currently 2017/04/25, 08:30

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: ARC's Space Game
PostPosted: 2016/01/02, 20:36 
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Role: Hobbyist
ARC is cool. He is going to make a planet generator plugin for those mere mortals who can't reach that coding height.

Yeah, he is very cool. ^^

PostPosted: 2016/01/03, 11:28 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Role: Professional
ARC wrote:
Here's a teaser of what I worked on tonight, procedural gas giants!

Faked 3D planet wrapping in 2D Duality - nice! :D Not sure about performance on older cards if you're doing all of the procgen per pixel (though this could certainly be sorted out with quality settings later), but being able to zoom in and still get high-quality rendering is definitely cool.

ARC wrote:
Their color bands are determined by the % composition of each gas that makes up their upper atmosphere. In this case you're looking at a gas giant with a large amount of ammonia and helium.

Again, I'm a bit impressed by the level of detail you're pouring in there. You seem to be really taking the deep-dive into PCG.

Looking forward to your progress on this!

PostPosted: 2016/01/03, 23:47 

I made this cool holographic effect for when you select a planet today:

The GIF doesn't really do it justice unfortunately. Looks a lot better in practice.

Also did a lot of work on cleaning up/refactoring the generation and rendering code and making it more generic. I've built up something of a mini-library of code for this stuff at this point.

Adam wrote:
Not sure about performance on older cards if you're doing all of the procgen per pixel (though this could certainly be sorted out with quality settings later), but being able to zoom in and still get high-quality rendering is definitely cool.

I don't expect performance to be a problem down the road (in development is another story). At the moment I am just regenerating everything every single frame, in the interest rapid development. However in the final version that won't be the case. I'll be generating all of the planets procedural data once and outputting it to textures/images to be saved, and then simply doing texture look-ups and coordinate warping in the render pipeline. That will make a massive difference, right now the GPU is doing a lot of processing every frame (though I'm still managing 250+ fps with ease). I'm actually quite amazed it runs this fast, even if I do something like 20 iterations of fractional noise per pixel per frame.

Quality settings are definitely another option as well. But basically I intend to remove the majority of the real-time processing load on the GPU outside of special effects in the future and instead have it as a pre-processing sort of thing. Then those special effects (like the image above) can be optional.

P.S. Does anyone have any recommendations for GIF capture software? What I use now is fast to use, you just use a key command and select a box and it captures and uploads a few seconds automatically. I like that a lot. But it's low framerate and not the greatest quality.

PostPosted: 2016/01/04, 00:11 
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Role: Gamer
I've heard good things of GIFCam (scroll down to find download link), and LICEcap, both of which allow configurable frame rate.

GIFCam has no global hotkey to start/stop recording, but you can press Enter or Space while it's window is active to do so. LICEcap has a global hotkey to do that (Shift + Space).

PostPosted: 2016/01/04, 00:25 
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

You can try using ShareX if that's not what you're using right now. You can also record a video and upload it to dropbox using ShareX.

PostPosted: 2016/01/04, 01:27 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Role: Professional
ARC wrote:
At the moment I am just regenerating everything every single frame, in the interest rapid development. However in the final version that won't be the case.

Ahh.. I see. ^^

ARC wrote:
P.S. Does anyone have any recommendations for GIF capture software? What I use now is fast to use, you just use a key command and select a box and it captures and uploads a few seconds automatically. I like that a lot. But it's low framerate and not the greatest quality.

For high-quality segments, you could switch to actual video recording (Fraps + VirtualDub for example), upload it to gfycat.com and then directly embed it here using the gfycat tag. It takes some getting used to and will consume more time than using your GIF tool, but you'll also get higher quality video for a fraction of the bandwidth.

PostPosted: 2016/01/04, 23:41 

Green represents tectonic activity, or basically how likely it is for mountains to be there. The percentage of mountainous terrain/tectonic hot spots determines the amount of "deep" resources available, basically metals. You'll see later on why it's actually important to model where the mountains are, and not just to calculate a percentage distribution of each resource.

Note that the green doesn't represent mountains themselves, it basically represents mountain ranges.

Mountains, piercing high into the atmosphere, naturally have lower atmospheric pressure at their summits. This in turn makes them cold, and so snow and ice deposits and forms there. All of this is already factored in to the generation (pressure dependent temperature), and you'll see it materialized later by tiny white snowy caps dotting mountain ranges.

PostPosted: 2016/01/05, 03:51 
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

I can see that you're spending a lot of time in this game, can't wait to try it out!

It looks pretty nice, every screenshot you share just hypes me up pretty much, even though not knowing for sure what the game will be like.

Perhaps this is going to be the second successful game made with Duality?

PostPosted: 2016/01/05, 06:29 

RockyTV wrote:
I can see that you're spending a lot of time in this game, can't wait to try it out!

It looks pretty nice, every screenshot you share just hypes me up pretty much, even though not knowing for sure what the game will be like.

I'm really excited to hear you guys like what I've got so far! :D I'm hopefully going to be adding at least one, maybe two small progress updates here most days, it's really awesome to hear some of you guys are getting hyped up already.

Seriously though, hearing feedback from you guys is definitely what's going to keep me going with this project. I appreciate it!

RockyTV wrote:
Perhaps this is going to be the second successful game made with Duality?

Now that I like to hear ^^ there is definitely a long road ahead, though!

Here's one last gif for the day! It's 1am, and my girlfriend is getting annoyed with me staying up so late every night. But she just doesn't understand how worth it procedurally generated surface craters are! (and sweet hologram effects)
Gfycat Video - Click to Play. [Source]

(P.S. Sweet gfycat tag, Adam)

PostPosted: 2016/01/05, 13:52 
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

*envy intensifies* :omg:

Looks more and more promising with each post. Keep up the wonderful work!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next