Adam's Lair Forum

game development and casual madness
It is currently 2017/04/25, 08:35

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: WIP Tower Defense Game
PostPosted: 2016/08/06, 18:50 

Role: Professional
After bothering the forum so much, this is what I have in the works. Just me learning Duality.

Disclaimer : this is not a game. Its a hack. The code might cause a stroke, death with immediate grave turning.

The awesome artwork was obtained from Krasi Wasilev (http://freegameassets.blogspot.com).

Only functionality is a crude AI and Tower Buying.

EDIT 0GIF wont embed ;(

This is a big gif:

As I learn Duality there is a lot of built in functionality that I am not using and that is probably the first thing to fix about my workflow. I do a lot of wheel re-inventing but in my defense we have our work cut out for us in terms of documenting and tutorials.

Once the code is online I will provide a link to the github page.

EDIT 1
Github uploading keeps failing but I will keep trying. This link works for now. I deleted the plugins source folder to limit size.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/y295up8c6vl8y7t/10_Duality_tower_defense_first_upload.zip

EDIT 2
Finally uploaded to github.
https://github.com/techspy54/Duality-TowerDefense-Game

Last edited by techspy on 2016/08/06, 19:45, edited 5 times in total.

PostPosted: 2016/08/06, 18:57 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Looks neat for a first prototype! Is this an ongoing project or more something in terms of a learning sandbox for you? Will there be a playable demo? ;)

Btw. your Youtube tag seem to be broken. Try this:
Code:
[youtube]deFkGsbv1dI[/youtube]

As far as your big gif file goes, due to file size considerations, consider linking it or uploading it on gfycat and use the gfycat tag instead.

PostPosted: 2016/08/06, 19:33 

Adam wrote:
Looks neat for a first prototype! Is this an ongoing project or more something in terms of a learning sandbox for you? Will there be a playable demo? ;)

This is definitely an ongoing project that I will push out in a complete version some day ^^
. I promise explosions and scrolling cameras and ice towers. For now github seems to be failing to upload the small 7MB file no idea why, but I have added a mediafire link for now.

I will accept any and all corrections on misuse / non-use of the Duality API. Oh and the game seems to crash after a while. So much to do.

PostPosted: 2016/08/07, 19:52 

Okay a proper none rushed upload.

I have made a playable-ish demo with two tower types and two enemy types and 4 non-stop waves that wrap-around. Beware bugs though, if you run into any please post them.

I just went through my local library of sounds looking for suitable audio but I do not have any. Not sure if I should record or Google around buy no sound effects yet. I will probably do eye candy first before audio.

Then the UI. My buttons are terrible and hacky at best. I am a bit scared to dig into Frozen Core plugin but then I have to I guess, it will lighten the load.

The github project page contains the new upload.

EDIT 0
Added a youtube video :

PostPosted: 2016/08/07, 20:15 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Tried the second version. I like the enemy and turret graphics so far! Not exactly sure what the second turret type does though - it's slower, but.. does it do more damage? Does it have a special effect of sorts..?

Once my line of defense has been broken, most of my turrets seem to turn towards passing enemies without firing - maybe because they can't aim completely and then the enemy is gone already?

techspy wrote:
I just went through my local library of sounds looking for suitable audio but I do not have any. Not sure if I should record or Google around buy no sound effects yet. I will probably do eye candy first before audio.

Take a look at https://www.freesound.org/! You'll have to register, but there's a lot of attribution and public domain stuff on there. Lots of it not usable as-is, but a little bit of Audacity editing will do the trick most of the time.

PostPosted: 2016/08/08, 08:36 

Adam wrote:
Tried the second version. I like the enemy and turret graphics so far! Not exactly sure what the second turret type does though - it's slower, but.. does it do more damage? Does it have a special effect of sorts..?

xD It's supposed to be an "Ice Tower." It slows down the enemy tanks for a short while. The implementation is a bit uhm off. Tower info is coming with a better UI sorry about that.

Adam wrote:
Once my line of defense has been broken, most of my turrets seem to turn towards passing enemies without firing - maybe because they can't aim completely and then the enemy is gone already?

That seems to be a bug but I am not able to reproduce it yet. I will play-test a lot and keep trying.

EDIT 0
I have managed to reproduce this bug. It seems to occur because of the Physics implementation I think. For me it occurs when 2 enemies occupy the same position and all turrets somehow stop firing. I have to overhaul the system. It'l be easier than trying to find the bug because it only occurs with multiple turrets.

Adam wrote:

Thank you for the link.

Time to get busy and thank you again for the feedback.

PostPosted: 2016/08/08, 19:34 

Not much happened today. Mostly moving stuff around and trying to fix the most prevalent bug. It seem Towers stop shooting after a while. I have checked for null objects, tried custom timers and changed a bit of game logic. No fix so far. It cant be the Timer because the EnemyManager component that spawns enemies uses the same logic that the Tower shooting uses.

Adding:
Code:
Log.Game.Write("shot" + (int)towerID);

shows that the fire/shoot method gets called so I am stuck for now. It doesn't feel right moving to sound or particle effects before fixing this.

The Ice / Slow tower is now working though, and the UI I decided to use a custom one.
Seems Duality does not display new lines or colons in the TextRenderer.

Another upload has been added. I will pull down the third from last and store it on my Mediafire to avoid clutter on Github.

PostPosted: 2016/08/09, 19:03 

Made quite some progress today. Tomorrow is back to work but I will add a front-end before I sleep.

Today's log:
1 - Swapped out the firing system with a Physics raycasting implementation.
This fixes the bug that Adam had highlighted earlier (turrets not shooting after wave 2 or 3).
2 - Added some sound effects downloaded from Freesound.org.
3 - Added particle effects when a tank is hit.
4 - Added a slowdown effect - each tank that gets Iced displays a blue square on the tank rear until the effect wears off.
5 - Restructured the game scene.
6- Added turret info when you hover over a turret button.

I hope I forgot none.
Add a menu and a You Die!! overlay and we have an official release here.

As usual the github project page has the latest update including the source code (Try not to add too much gold for yourself).

Here is an image of me getting owned by the AI :

PostPosted: 2016/08/10, 19:05 

Not a lot done today. All I did was:

- add a Main Menu with a play button and the Game exits to menu on player death.
- add a soundtrack for both the menu and in-game.

This is an image showing the menu scene.

I think it is time to clean up my code and organize the project before moving on.
Progress will be slow as time has to be split between this and another project + backlog at work.

I am enjoying working with Duality a lot :)

PostPosted: 2016/08/29, 18:02 

Just thought I'd check in. I have been having problems with my VSAT but I am back I think. The project is not dead, I had to put it aside for a while to work on the Tilemaps game-jam entry. Which I have put myself into hot soup with.

After the jam I will be back to working on this project with full dedication though.