game development and casual madness
It is currently 2017/04/30, 20:34

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: 2016/05/16, 09:54 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Role: Professional
Hey everyone,

I'm currently looking for a retro-rpg-ish character sprite to be used in the tilemaps sample project. Something like this, you can find lots and lots of examples when googling for RpgMaker resources. However, I haven't really found any sprite where (a) licensing was clearly defined and (b) compatible with the MIT license. I'd happily pay for a sprite as well, but unfortunately, most of the providers do not allow you to re-distribute that sprite (in a readable way) - which I need to do since it's for a freely available sample project.

Rough specs of the sprite I need:

• 32x48 or 32x64 dimensions.
  • 4 to 8 directions. Four is enough, but eight would be awesome.
  • Walking animation in each direction. The classic "three frames" would be sufficient, but finer-grained animation would be a bonus.
  • Compatible with an MIT license for public release.

If anyone has an idea where to find something like this, let me know.

PostPosted: 2016/05/16, 11:40 
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Role: Hobbyist
There's plenty at opengameart.org, and most of them have rather permissive licenses. For example, this seems to be a high quality one (it's 64x64, but the actual character is smaller, I suppose it fits on the 32x64 size as well).

PostPosted: 2016/05/16, 13:12 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I've searched opengameart something like a week ago for a few hours, but honestly I'm not sure anymore whether this is a good source in this case. :|

For example, the character you linked is part of the Liberated Pixel Cup project, which uses some kind of dual-licensing. However, one half of that license model is GPL, which is a copyleft license, which could, in the worst case, require me to license the entire Duality framework as GPL as well, and in turn all projects done with it, and so on. Which is why I'm not touching anything that has GPL on it.

Some others, like this one or this one are looking good license- and graphics-wise, but are far too small, so I can't use them either. :S

PostPosted: 2016/05/16, 13:45 
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Adam wrote:
the character you linked is part of the Liberated Pixel Cup project

Well, I'm no way a license expert, but on the OGA page, left side there are multiple license stamps. According to Wikipedia, multi-license means that it's the recipient's right to choose between the licenses. And the CC-BY-3.0 listed there enables building upon the material, as long as you provide attribution, without other restrictions.

PostPosted: 2016/05/16, 14:08 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I agree with you that it should be fine to use these dual-licensed works, but I can't really say for sure that I won't accidentally stumble over some legal detail I had no idea about. I don't think it's really that complicated and I believe that there wouldn't actually be a problem - it's just that suddenly being sucked into GPL-space is nothing I'm looking forward to and I don't really want to be in the same room with that potential risk. :S

loeller wrote:
Well, I'm no way a license expert [...]

Me neither - and that's kind of the problem here. ^^

Edit: Wording and stuff.

PostPosted: 2016/05/16, 15:03 
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Yeah, it may be better safe than sorry. Although I don't think these people are that blood-thirsty copyleft protectors. Sorry that I could not help :c

PostPosted: 2016/05/16, 15:36 
Site Admin
Site Admin

loeller wrote:
Sorry that I could not help :c

Nah, totally appreciated! OpenGameArt was my first stop as well, should have mentioned that I've been there already ^^

Also, I might be a little over-protective here, but as you say, better safe than sorry.

PostPosted: 2016/05/17, 09:13 
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

I was about to offer to make one with Game Charater Hub, but I just found out that the sprites you generate can only be used in RPGMaker games :rly: waste of money

EDIT: I believe you can use these?

PostPosted: 2016/05/17, 19:06 
Site Admin
Site Admin

SirePi wrote:
I was about to offer to make one with Game Charater Hub, but I just found out that the sprites you generate can only be used in RPGMaker games :rly: waste of money

I know! There is really a lot of content that's RpgMaker exclusive, even though it can be bought independently. I can get behind applying that rule to free material, but if you buy it as a separate package? :S

(Though the redistribution situation rules out buying most content anyway :rly: )

SirePi wrote:
EDIT: I believe you can use these?

Unfortunately...
Quote:
Edited from RPG VX
...it doesn't seem like I can. If this is a derivative work of the RpgMaker content, I guess that's still bound to the RpgMaker platform.

That said, deviantart looks like it could be worth a try. I'll look through some collections there and see if I find something permissive ^^