Adam's Lair Forum

game development and casual madness
It is currently 2017/04/28, 02:29

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: 2017/01/10, 21:51 

Role: Hobbyist
I just stumbled on duality and did the getting started tutorial. It looks pretty cool so far and especially the fact its written in .net is a nice plus.

But since its written in .net is it possible to make the game UI with for instance WPF or make a multiplayer game using SignalR? Anyone ever did this? Would be really cool if this was possible

Projects:
https://github.com/Barsonax/Pathfindax

PostPosted: 2017/01/10, 23:01 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Role: Professional
Hey there!

You can combine Duality with any .Net library or framework you want, it's just a regular .Net application. Restrictions may apply where they would apply for similar .Net applications as well.

However, your example with using WPF as an ingame UI will very likely not work; as far as I know, WPF has no interface to allow embedding it into a rendering context, and even if it had, it would likely be bound to DirectX or Direct2D, while Duality is built on top of OpenGL. I mean, you could theoretically write a custom backend that uses something else, but for the average project we're way out of feasible realms with this. And on the other hand, from a quick google search SignalR appears to be a web / server framework, which is probably not a good fit for gamedev purposes either.

So in general? No problem. Those two you mentioned? Better pick something that is a better match.