Adam's Lair Forum

game development and casual madness
It is currently 2017/04/28, 14:10

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: 2017/01/23, 19:48 

Role: Hobbyist
Hello guys,

Today me and a couple of friends from my classroom decided to unite the small knowledge we have (art, programming sound etc.) and create a Top-Down Perspective MMO. We already have a small idea of the storyboard and the graphics, but because I'm the only programmer of the team I am looking for the best game engine I could possibly find that is well optimized for 2D. It doesn't necessarily need to support cross platform compilation, we mainly want to develop this for Windows and later for Linux & OSX.

Now my only question is, should I use Duality for this project? Do you think this is the best game engine that fits my project requirements? If yes, do you have some resources to help us get started with?

Thank you for the time.

EDIT 1: I forgot to mention the following things, I am a novice programmer mainly using C#.

PostPosted: 2017/01/23, 23:28 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Role: Professional
Hey there!

If you're doing a 2D-focused game with a top-down perspective, you have come to the right place! Duality is kind of good in handling that.

As far as the MMO part goes, that's where the trouble starts: There is no networking in Duality so far. Although the community prototyped some early network stuff on various occasions, there is no maintained, plug-and-play plugin that you could just use and be done with it. All the netcode will be yours to write.

That said, an MMO is probably not the ideal choice for a first project in general - from my personal experience, the smaller the project, the better. If I may suggest something: Pick a simple concept that all three of you like and know and create a local multiplayer version (shared screen, gamepads) of it. Test it among yourselves, test it with people you know, polish it a lot and put it online somewhere. You'll gain a lot of experience in the process, which is crucial for the next time you start something bigger.

So, if you want to take a closer look at Duality for your project, you'll find a Getting Started tutorial on the Wiki, as well as some articles on general engine concepts. There is also the Tutorials section on the forum, and you can always stop by in the community chat and say hello or ask for directions :)

PostPosted: 2017/01/24, 00:14 

Adam wrote:
Hey there!

If you're doing a 2D-focused game with a top-down perspective, you have come to the right place! Duality is kind of good in handling that.

As far as the MMO part goes, that's where the trouble starts: There is no networking in Duality so far. Although the community prototyped some early network stuff on various occasions, there is no maintained, plug-and-play plugin that you could just use and be done with it. All the netcode will be yours to write.

That said, an MMO is probably not the ideal choice for a first project in general - from my personal experience, the smaller the project, the better. If I may suggest something: Pick a simple concept that all three of you like and know and create a local multiplayer version (shared screen, gamepads) of it. Test it among yourselves, test it with people you know, polish it a lot and put it online somewhere. You'll gain a lot of experience in the process, which is crucial for the next time you start something bigger.

So, if you want to take a closer look at Duality for your project, you'll find a Getting Started tutorial on the Wiki, as well as some articles on general engine concepts. There is also the Tutorials section on the forum, and you can always stop by in the community chat and say hello or ask for directions :)

Hello Adam. You cleared my mind on Duality and thanks for the guide links. I'll definitely start using this game engine from now on for this project (and maybe future ones), also regarding the Multiplayer part, you are right, I haven't thought a little further on how I could deal with this. I have worked a very little with sockets in C# and indeed it isn't an easy job to handle all the programming needed for a MMO. You shifted my view on this project and I'll send it further to my friends. Thanks a lot!

PostPosted: 2017/01/24, 14:18 
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

You have a few networking libraries that should help you get up to speed.
Something like this should be right up your alley.
You also have this one.