Adam's Lair Forum

game development and casual madness
It is currently 2019/11/20, 21:18

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 206 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: Smalltalk
PostPosted: 2016/05/20, 21:04 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Role: Professional
Ah, that makes sense. A team manager / lead is something that I wouldn't have imagined to be very useful in a small and short-lived game jam team, but considering a team of non-gamedev people, a team manager / lead would actually make a lot of sense. Doesn't have to be a distinctive role, could be someone with more experience simply taking the lead, doing coordination and issuing tasks on the side.

Though I think indies and professionals usually have figured out their workflow already, as well as a toolset of techniques to approach certain problems and tasks, so it's easier for everyone to pick what he / she is most efficient in.

PostPosted: 2016/05/21, 11:06 
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Role: Hobbyist
Adam wrote:
Though I think indies and professionals usually have figured out their workflow already, as well as a toolset of techniques to approach certain problems and tasks, so it's easier for everyone to pick what he / she is most efficient in.

Sure, this is what I meant by the "interesting" part :]
Realized, that you mentioned you participated in a game jam recently. Is the game available? Would you mind sharing any experience? Just being curious ^^

PostPosted: 2016/05/21, 11:54 
Site Admin
Site Admin

It's not publicly available and I don't think that releasing it would be worth it. We had an interesting idea, but in the end an 8-hour game jam just wasn't enough to get anything of that into a playable state. It was a lot of fun though ^^

Overall, the game jam was really nicely organized, including introduction and get-together so you could easily find a team and participate even if you showed up alone without knowing anyone. No entry fee, just the drinks were paid, but with a very fair price. In the beginning there was a theme voting with entries you could suggest online prior to attending the event - so except for your own suggestion you had no idea what themes were in the pool. Overall a decent mix though.

In the end, there were three themes: Parasite, Shelter and "Fun with Shapes". The idea we came up with was that you're flying a space ship through a level that is composed of building blocks, which represent items from the tracks of a song. Think of something like Guitar Hero, except that you don't have to actually do something, the song just plays as the "cursor line" moves across. But! There are evil parasites from space that drain the blocks if you don't kill them first, and a drained block will not produce music. So you're essentially defending the song from being drained as it plays.

It was a buggy mess with only a fraction of a level, but we got to a somewhat showable state, though maybe not an actually playable one :D We were a team of three that was lucky enough to have a composer, the song she did is on YouTube, which also has a screenshot of the game if you want to get an idea.

PostPosted: 2016/05/21, 16:40 
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Well, the only jam I participated and successfully finished, was a spring jam int the gamemaker forums.

It was really relaxed, like 1 or 2 weeks to make something. Having a job, you don't get to have time to devote to developing, specially during a 8 hour binge.

I'd like to take part in a jam, but it would have to be a long one. And probaly,considering the various time differences, alone.

Why wasn't the game developing business so vigorous 10 years ago? :(

PostPosted: 2016/05/21, 19:21 
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Adam wrote:
8-hour game jam

Then it was a real-world-gathering, if I get it right. Would love to participate at something like this, but unfortunately, my hometown Budapest lacks this kind of gamedev culture, at least there's nothing I'm aware of. ;(

The game's idea is great, am a big fan of music based games. The game that we created with RockyTV and hsnabn for LOWREZJAM2016, was almost the same. Recently picked up the game Crypt of the Necrodancer during a sale, heavily recommend it. ;) The soundtrack you linked is also cool, nice '90s vibe. With that said, A-Gin is a terrible name for an artist :D

eyeliner wrote:
I'd like to take part in a jam, but it would have to be a long one.

The opposite for me. If you have 2-3 days, you can commit all time and mental energy to the game, to create something great. In the case of 2 weeks, you obviously do many other things you are obliged to ... and in the meanwhile feel bad about how little effort you put in the game, and how better the other participants will perform.

eyeliner wrote:
And probaly,considering the various time differences, alone.

We did LOWREZJAM with RockyTV (UTC-3), hsnabn (UTC+5) and me (UTC+1 DST). It was possible ^^

PostPosted: 2016/05/22, 18:02 
Site Admin
Site Admin

loeller wrote:
If you have 2-3 days, you can commit all time and mental energy to the game, to create something great. In the case of 2 weeks, you obviously do many other things you are obliged to ... and in the meanwhile feel bad about how little effort you put in the game, and how better the other participants will perform.

Yep, same here. It feels so much more doable to just allocate a single day (or weekend, though less easily so) for a game jam, rather than stretching it out over several weeks. Can't really predict how work's going, how much energy I will have left, what else comes up in real life...

Also, those shorter game jams have the advantage of sometimes being actual real-life gatherings, which is really cool. Can definitely recommend - if you're lucky enough to find something like this in your area, or within travel distance.

PostPosted: 2016/05/29, 06:42 

So this silly Canadian started dating a beautiful German girl who happened to move in next door during her year abroad.

I'm having a blast learning the language and the culture, I may find myself visiting come the end of this summer. Anyone up for a beer if/when that happens? :D ^^

PostPosted: 2016/05/29, 12:34 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Depending on where exactly you'll be, sure, why not :D

PostPosted: 2016/05/29, 17:36 

Most likely going to spend a lot of time in the south, south west (her home). But I'll want to see as much of the country as I can so who knows!

PostPosted: 2016/05/30, 19:47 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ahh, so around Bayern / Bavaria? That's not really my area, but feel free to let me know if you're around Berlin for a while. If you want to see as much of the country as possible, there's a good chance you'll end up in Berlin at some point. ^^

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 206 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 21  Next