game development and casual madness
It is currently 2018/11/21, 04:45

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: 2016/12/05, 22:12 
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Role: Hobbyist
Hey,

I have a suggestion for updating the editor.

At the moment, you have to go to the "Package Manager" and look for any available update by yourself.

It would be nice if the editor checks updates on startup. (The Package Manager wouldn't open!)
If there is any update available, the editor will show e.g. a small message in the upper right corner or a small update icon, that gets visible.

When you clicked on the update icon, a new windows appears. Now you can see the change log and only the packages, which are getting updated.

What do u think?

PostPosted: 2016/12/07, 21:23 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Role: Professional
I'm conflicted about this.

On one side, it's a neat nice2have feature that is totally doable, but on the other side, it would make Duality one of those applications that just assumes it can have internet whenever it wants and connect to some server somewhere to gather info without asking you, and then use that to bother you with update notices. It's no longer an action done by the user, but a constant background activity that may or may not be wanted.

One thing that should always be kept in mind: It's perfectly fine to not be up-to-date, and with ongoing projects it can be a perfectly valid decision to not update. That's one of the reasons why Duality is decentralized and self-contained within its project.

So.. I'm open for more opinions on this, but if it comes down to just me, I wouldn't implement this right now.

PostPosted: 2016/12/07, 21:36 
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Role: Hobbyist
Really good points that you mentioned.

Maybe we could let the user decide if he wants to be notified if updates are available.
If this option is disabled, he wouldn't see any icon or something and his pc wouldn't connect with the internet.

On top of that the editor shouldn't notify the user, if there were no internet connection, although the user enabled "search for updates".

You could also set an option, that the new version should be skipped...

PostPosted: 2016/12/07, 21:51 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Role: Professional
Still skeptical about this ^^ I kind of trust developers to decide when it would be a good time to update. And there's really not that much to gain when doing an update immediately vs. two weeks late.