Adam's Lair Forum

game development and casual madness
It is currently 2018/07/23, 02:18

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: What Is This Bug?
PostPosted: 2017/01/15, 07:30 

Role: Hobbyist
It occurred while I was trying to install the Tile engine package. Clicking on the Duality .exe again made it launch correctly.

EDIT:
So I've discovered that I can no longer run the game after publishing it....arghhh

I'm 99% sure this bug has something to do with it.

EDIT 2:
Welp. It's official. Duality has killed me. VS no longer works with breakpoints :(

Code:
Waiting for file locks to release...

Begin applying update

Copy 'Source\Packages\AdamsLair.Duality.Primitives.2.0.0\lib\DualityPrimitives.dll' to ''... failed

Exception: System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path 'Source\Packages\AdamsLair.Duality.Primitives.2.0.0\lib\DualityPrimitives.dll'.
   at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
   at System.IO.File.InternalCopy(String sourceFileName, String destFileName, Boolean overwrite, Boolean checkHost)
   at Duality.Updater.Program.PerformUpdate(XElement commandElement)
   at Duality.Updater.Program.Main(String[] args)

Press any key to continue

Copy 'Source\Packages\AdamsLair.Duality.Primitives.2.0.0\lib\DualityPrimitives.pdb' to ''... failed

Exception: System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path 'Source\Packages\AdamsLair.Duality.Primitives.2.0.0\lib\DualityPrimitives.pdb'.
   at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
   at System.IO.File.InternalCopy(String sourceFileName, String destFileName, Boolean overwrite, Boolean checkHost)
   at Duality.Updater.Program.PerformUpdate(XElement commandElement)
   at Duality.Updater.Program.Main(String[] args)

Press any key to continue

Post subject: Re: What Is This Bug?
PostPosted: 2017/01/15, 12:57 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Role: Professional
Hey there,

it's not really possible to tell what's happening based on your post alone :troubled: Looks to me like a bunch of different issues that snowballed from a single problem initially, but can't really say what that might have been. I suspect that there was an error during package install, which should have been in the logs right after installing it - if you restarted the editor since then, it's probably gone now.

What might help figure out what's happening is if you upload your PackageConfig.xml as well as ApplyUpdate.xml (if existing) and take a screenshot of your Source/Packages folder contents. No guarantees, but it's worth a try.

If you're using source control (if not, that should be a ToDo!) go back until the error disappears, otherwise you should be able to recover the previous state of your game using the Backup folder that Duality maintains. A fresh re-install (Delete Source/Packages entirely, then start the editor) could also help, but only if PackageConfig.xml isn't broken.

When you install the package again after recovering the previous working state, copy logfile_editor.txt and logfile_editor_prev.txt to somewhere safe, immediately after Duality auto-restarted to apply the update. If there's something broken again, these are the two files we need to figure out what went wrong.

Post subject: Re: What Is This Bug?
PostPosted: 2017/01/15, 18:12 

Role: Hobbyist
Adam wrote:
Hey there,

it's not really possible to tell what's happening based on your post alone :troubled: Looks to me like a bunch of different issues that snowballed from a single problem initially, but can't really say what that might have been. I suspect that there was an error during package install, which should have been in the logs right after installing it - if you restarted the editor since then, it's probably gone now.

What might help figure out what's happening is if you upload your PackageConfig.xml as well as ApplyUpdate.xml (if existing) and take a screenshot of your Source/Packages folder contents. No guarantees, but it's worth a try.

If you're using source control (if not, that should be a ToDo!) go back until the error disappears, otherwise you should be able to recover the previous state of your game using the Backup folder that Duality maintains. A fresh re-install (Delete Source/Packages entirely, then start the editor) could also help, but only if PackageConfig.xml isn't broken.

When you install the package again after recovering the previous working state, copy logfile_editor.txt and logfile_editor_prev.txt to somewhere safe, immediately after Duality auto-restarted to apply the update. If there's something broken again, these are the two files we need to figure out what went wrong.

Deleting all the packages fixed it. Thanks :D

EDIT:

Turns out that wasn't a complete fix. Even with the console errors gone, the game still refused to be published (I could not "Start" it in Visual Studio as it would result in an error, and it would not run from the .bat shortcut). What I did was download a new Duality copy, and open it (So everything downloaded). I then went into the core plugins and deleted all the .sln files and .csproj files, along with the default CustomComponent file. I copied all of this, and pasted it into my original directory (After making a backup, of course). I ran duality, cleaned + compiled the solution, and it worked perfectly.