Adam's Lair Forum

game development and casual madness
It is currently 2019/11/15, 10:23

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: 2019/05/01, 02:44 
Novice Member
Novice Member

Role: Hobbyist
So I understand the MIT license fairly well. I know that I can modify the source and apparently do whatever I want with it as long as I do not sue for some bizarre reason. Now I have read the license (https://github.com/AdamsLair/duality/bl ... er/LICENSE)

and then of course I read the summary:

Quote:
A short and simple permissive license with conditions only requiring preservation of copyright and license notices. Licensed works, modifications, and larger works may be distributed under different terms and without source code.

Now this being said if I modify the source code (Which I have) and majorly add features/take away features I don't find useful add support for third party languages, add 3d support, and significantly change things. And I want to use some of the source code in a project of mine and sell it commercially what all do I have to include to do that? It says I can go ahead and change the licenses. What about imagery? What if I remove all images relating to duality? Does that change anything? What specifically do I have to do add (or remove) to allow me to do such a thing.

PostPosted: 2019/05/01, 12:49 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Role: Professional
I can't really give you legal advice, since I'm not a lawyer, but I usually stick to the instructions tldrlegal provides on licensing. For the MIT license, it states that you must include the original copyright and license in your work: Doesn't mean your work as a whole has to use the same license, but there needs to be sufficient evidence on where those parts come from and how they were licensed themselves. As long as that's the case, you're free to build something on top, use it commercially, and so on.

Except for the original license and copyright notices, there is no restriction on what changes you can make - if you want to remove all images relating to Duality, add or remove features, or significantly change things, then you're free to do so.

Overall it sounds like you might be building some sort of game maker, editor or derivative engine based on Duality, and that's totally fine with me. However, I'd in that case ask you to refer back to Duality in some clearly user-visible way as long as a major part of the project is based on it.