Adam's Lair Forum

game development and casual madness
It is currently 2020/01/21, 13:11

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: 2014/02/24, 15:37 
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Role: Hobbyist
Hi Adam, is there a way to force Duality to run as a 32bit process, even though my machine is 64? I would really like to be able to edit my code on the run, but as VS doesn't allow the edit and continue with 64bit code.. I am a bit stumped.

At the moment all projects are marked as Any CPU. I have tried to change the target to x86 but I ended up with an empty Duality window, as if no scene was loaded.

Any suggestion?

EDIT: Change to title, if someone is looking for it

Last edited by SirePi on 2014/02/24, 17:11, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: 2014/02/24, 16:04 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Role: Professional
You most likely ended up with an empty window, because changing the platform target in Visual Studio will lead to a different binary output directory, which I suppose happened to be empty in your case.

Additionally, it is not sufficient to compile your plugin in x86, since Duality is "in charge" here and will more likely abandon your x86 plugin than switch to x86 itself while running. You can trick it into starting as x86, though using some .config / .manifest settings, but I don't recall how that worked exactly and a quick google search didn't help. Maybe you're luckier.

Still, I have never tested Edit&Continue in conjunction with plugins, so.. no guarantee you will be able to actually use Edit&Continue. If you try, let me know what happens :)

PostPosted: 2014/02/24, 16:46 
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Role: Hobbyist
All right, well.. I managed to force Duality as 32 bit by using corflags

Code:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0A\Bin\corflags.exe" /32bit+ DualityLauncher.exe

* the path might vary
and
Code:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0A\Bin\corflags.exe" /32bit- DualityLauncher.exe

to reset it back to normal.

Like this, I can still use AnyCPU plugins but, as DualityLauncher will be executed in 32bit mode, I can use Edit&Continue without problems when debugging from VisualStudio

Sure, in some cases Duality will still crash anyway, but most of the time I can do small changes without too many issues :mrgreen: