Adam's Lair Forum

game development and casual madness
It is currently 2020/02/23, 21:51

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: 2014/10/27, 18:46 
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Role: Hobbyist
Hey Adam, I compiled the latest version of Duality and the new PropertyGrid looks neat :mrgreen: and it's already a huge help for determining which object/level you are working on.

There are some issues with the resources though.. I don't understand why, as it never happened before when updating the editor.

The log file (attached) is full of these messages
Code:
[Core] ERROR:       An error occurred while trying to perform a serialization fallback: MissingMethodException at Void OldNamespacesErrorHandler.HandleError(SerializeError): Method not found: 'System.Type Duality.ReflectionHelper.ResolveType(System.String, Boolean, System.Reflection.MethodInfo)'.
[Core]              CallStack:
[Core]                 at Duality.Plugins.Compatibility.OldNamespacesErrorHandler.HandleError(SerializeError error)
[Core]                 at Duality.Serialization.Formatter.HandleSerializeError(SerializeError error) in C:\Users\Alessandro\Documents\GitHub\duality\Duality\Serialization\Formatter.cs:line 849

and while the resouces appear correct in the editor, if I try to start the launcher, it systematically fails.
Even saving my scene/resources again won't solve the issue.

Any ideas on what I can try to do?

PostPosted: 2014/10/27, 20:06 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Role: Professional
MissingMethodException is pretty much the signature of mismatched Assembly versions. This is likely not a problem with the Duality repository, but (supposedly) a local issue. Here's what usually helps if something like this occurs:

1. Make sure your local Git repository is fine. If you can afford it, consider doing a pull & discard to be 1:1 to the master branch.
  2. Delete the packages directory NuGet uses to store its downloaded packages locally. Also, clear the NuGet package cache.
  3. Restart Visual Studio
  4. Clean the entire solution
  5. Rebuild the entire solution

It usually starts working again after doing this. No idea why it happens though - I've never personally experienced this, but others apparently do so occasionally.

SirePi wrote:
Hey Adam, I compiled the latest version of Duality and the new PropertyGrid looks neat :mrgreen: and it's already a huge help for determining which object/level you are working on.

Glad to hear that :)

PostPosted: 2014/10/28, 10:46 
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Role: Hobbyist
Huh.. I just recompiled one more time (without cleaning) and it started working.. mysteries of Visual Studio.. :S

PostPosted: 2014/10/28, 10:55 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Role: Professional
SirePi wrote:
Huh.. I just recompiled one more time (without cleaning) and it started working.. mysteries of Visual Studio.. :S

At least it's C#. I've had this numerous times in C++, except that there was no exception, but a seemingly random runtime crash to which the debugger wasn't able to tell anything more useful than "well, somewhere in this method maybe" :D Sometimes, a full recompile just magically fixes things.