game development and casual madness
It is currently 2019/11/13, 13:44

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: 2015/11/14, 18:39 
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Role: Gamer
Zajkonur wrote:
When I build the solution, the editor works. :) I'm just unsure how to use it properly now. Should I copy the Debug folder somewhere and use it as if it worked normally? I'm sure there are more files than there would be now.

Can you guys install it without any problems? It's weird that both machines with different OS have a problem installing it.

Just create a new, empty project using the debug version.
And yes, I've managed to install it without problems and I'm on Windows 10 too.

PostPosted: 2015/11/14, 20:04 
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Zajkonur, you can use the Debug build normally: it's not going to have any differences in functionality, it's just for giving more debug information in the event it does have any problems (the generated PDB files are for that), and it is an unoptimized build.
If you don't like/want that, you can build yourself a Release version and use that one, which is built without any debug symbols and is optimized. Small edit: you can do what RockyTV said too.

There is one slight other difference, which is that you don't need to download any packages since you built them yourself. You can still use the package manager, though.

There might also be some official plugins you may not need, such as DynamicLighting and Steering, which are built and included by default. You can either prevent these from being built in the Duality solution file, or you can remove them from your Duality installation's Data directory.

I took a shot at deducing your first XML file. These lines in particular interest me, since they seem to be the ones that describe the actual problem:
Code:
<ProblemSignatures>
    <EventType>CLR20r3</EventType>
    <Parameter0>DualityEditor.exe</Parameter0>
    <Parameter1>2.0.0.0</Parameter1>
    <Parameter2>5624ddbd</Parameter2>
    <Parameter3>DualityEditor</Parameter3>
    <Parameter4>2.0.0.0</Parameter4>
    <Parameter5>5624ddbd</Parameter5>
    <Parameter6>694</Parameter6>
    <Parameter7>e2</Parameter7>
    <Parameter8>System.BadImageFormatException</Parameter8>
</ProblemSignatures>
Note Parameter8. It says System.BadImageFormatException. I am assuming this is the exception the editor threw before crashing silently (I could be wrong though). What does this exception mean?

MSDN documentation states it is:
MSDN wrote:
The exception that is thrown when the file image of a dynamic link library (DLL) or an executable program is invalid.
This could mean that an anti-virus software present on your system is blocking or quarantining the file. Even if you disabled Bitdefender, see if you have Windows Defender enabled. If it is, either disable it, or add an exception to the Duality folder/specific file that is being quarantined.

The MSDN also has another document, called "Troubleshooting Exceptions: System.BadImageFormatException". Here's the basic outline of it:
MSDN wrote:
  • If your application uses 32-bit components, make sure that it always runs as a 32-bit application.
  • Make sure that you are not using a component that was created with a different version of the .NET Framework.
  • Make sure that the file image is a valid managed assembly or module.
Link to said document: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/k7137bfe.aspx
However, it is an old document (last updated April 2011), so it may not reflect how things are now.

You did say it works when you build it yourself. But we'd appreciate it if you helped us find the root cause, so it can be fixed for any other people experience the same problem, or who might experience it in the future.

Wow, I just wrote a lot of stuff. I'm sure at least a quarter of it will make sense.

EDIT: Can you post your system specifications too? CPU, RAM amount, et cetera (we already have GPU of one machine).

EDIT 2: The minidump file might also help (even if I have no idea how to read that; I can try, though).

EDIT 3: Just wanted to say sorry for this huge lump of text, and one more thing: did you check whether the victim machines have .NET Framework 4.5 installed? That might be the problem. Also, did you check out the administrator rights thing?

Last edited by hsnabn on 2015/11/14, 21:01, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: 2015/11/14, 20:31 

Role: Professional
Quote:
Just create a new, empty project using the debug version.
And yes, I've managed to install it without problems and I'm on Windows 10 too.

Thanks!

PostPosted: 2015/11/14, 20:48 

First of all, thank you, hsnabn! I appreciate your help!

Quote:
Zajkonur, you can use the Debug build normally: it's not going to have any differences in functionality, it's just for giving more debug information in the event it does have any problems (the generated PDB files are for that), and it is an unoptimized build.
If you don't like/want that, you can build yourself a Release version and use that one, which is built without any debug symbols and is optimized.

There is one slight other difference, which is that you don't need to download any packages since you built them yourself. You can still use the package manager, though.

There might also be some official plugins you may not need, such as DynamicLighting and Steering, which are built and included by default. You can either prevent these from being built in the Duality solution file, or you can remove them from your Duality installation's Data directory.

I see. I'd rather have a clean install like most other people, though, so let's work this out by what you say below.

Quote:
This could mean that an anti-virus software present on your system is blocking or quarantining the file. Even if you disabled Bitdefender, see if you have Windows Defender enabled. If it is, either disable it, or add an exception to the Duality folder/specific file that is being quarantined.

Windows Defender was (and still is) turned off at the time of installation. But since BitDefender quarantined the file everytime I tried installing with it turned on, I suppose something else is still doing it, even though BD is turned off?

Quote:
If your application uses 32-bit components, make sure that it always runs as a 32-bit application.

I don't know if Duality uses 32-bit components. And if it does, how do I run it as a 32-bit app?

Quote:
You did say it works when you build it yourself. But we'd appreciate it if you helped us find the root cause, so it can be fixed for any other people experience the same problem, or who might experience it in the future.

Yeah, definitely glad to do that. :)

Quote:
Can you post your system specifications too? CPU, RAM amount, et cetera (we already have GPU).

Home machine: AMD Athlon II X4 640 Processor 3 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 64-bit Windows 7 Home Premium (latest updates)

Quote:
Just wanted to say sorry for this huge lump of text

No worries! I'm grateful.

Quote:
did you check whether the victim machines have .NET Framework 4.5 installed? That might be the problem.

Yes, both have 4.5 installed.

Quote:
Also, did you check out the administrator rights thing?

Not sure what you mean. I ran DualityEditor.exe as admin. To no avail.

Quote:
The minidump file might also help (even if I have no idea how to read that; I can try, though).

I was going to upload it to Sendspace, so I tried a clean installation again to get the dump... But it WORKS all of a sudden! This is crazy!

No issues, no problems, it just starts up now. :evil: WTF

PostPosted: 2015/11/14, 20:58 
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

That's certainly... unexpected. Ah well. At least it works now.

Any other people with the same problems can just post again. We can correlate any similarities between your case and theirs then.

Zajkonur wrote:
First of all, thank you, hsnabn! I appreciate your help!
Oops, where are my manners? You're quite welcome.

PostPosted: 2015/11/14, 23:18 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
If your application uses 32-bit components, make sure that it always runs as a 32-bit application.

That shouldn't be a problem in this case. Except for the OpenAL software fallback, it's all AnyCPU - developed / tested on a 64 bit machine, but it shouldn't really care whether it runs as 32 bit or 64 bit.

Zajkonur wrote:
I was going to upload it to Sendspace, so I tried a clean installation again to get the dump... But it WORKS all of a sudden! This is crazy!

No issues, no problems, it just starts up now. :evil: WTF

Weird :eh: But yep.. at least it works now. In any case, thanks for providing all that information and helping us trying to find the cause of this! :)

hsnabn wrote:
I took a shot at deducing your first XML file. These lines in particular interest me, since they seem to be the ones that describe the actual problem:

Excellent find and solid analysis. Totally overlooked that BadImageFormatException line. Maybe there was indeed some kind of screening process that decided to quarantine parts of the Duality runtimes.

PostPosted: 2015/11/14, 23:22 
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

If the issue persists, try right clicking on the DLLs and click Unblock. Might work.