Adam's Lair Forum

game development and casual madness
It is currently 2019/06/17, 15:33

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: 2016/01/15, 07:41 

Role: Hobbyist
Hello everyone,

This post is mostly directed at Adam, but anyone else is of course welcome. I have been following along a little with the development of the tile map editor, at least for the last couple of days. I started to make my own simple map editor as a stand-alone application but seeing the list of items on the official tile map editor's issue thread shrink down everyday makes me wonder if it would be worth while. Do you know how far the map editor is from being finished? When will it be released?

In addition to wondering about the state of the map editor I would like to know how flexible it will be. Our plans for a map system aren't exactly tile based, the tiles are split into discrete triangles to let us build more interesting maps. Will I be able to configure/make a plugin for the official editor to easily to account for this? It seams to me that if I will have to modify the source of the original editor anyway I might as well make a separate, purpose built one my self.

Either way I have been very excited to see such a big feature in development! The multi-camera view of a single map looks very cool. I bet it is great to be working on a big piece of the system like this one, I know I always enjoy start/middle of a big project the most.

Thanks in advance for any information!

PostPosted: 2016/01/15, 12:08 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Role: Professional
Hey zakila,

glad to hear you're interested in the tilemap stuff I'm doing ^^

zakila wrote:
Do you know how far the map editor is from being finished? When will it be released?
I think this will still take a while: It's a big workload, not only editor-wise, but also in the core plugin. Tilemaps are not a complicated thing, but some of the advanced features as well as developing and testing a usable editor take their time. Also, I'm trying to get stutter-free rendering, updating and editing of really huge maps, so that's another delay.

And then there's the issue of me starting a full time job soon and not yet knowing how much time I will have left for active development of nice2have features like this vs. more important changes and maintenance of existing Duality parts.

I can't give you a release date, but I'd say you should count in months, and probably more than two. That said, you can always check out, build and test pre-release versions on GitHub.

zakila wrote:
Our plans for a map system aren't exactly tile based, the tiles are split into discrete triangles to let us build more interesting maps.
That will likely be a deal breaker, as I'm focusing explicitly on rectangular tilemaps. Customization is definitely a concern for me in the planning process, but I don't plan to allow different kinds of tiles - like hex, iso or triangles - at this point. I want to get the system up and running in its basic and potentially most widely used form first. And then maybe do a small game with it, so I don't want this to be an open-ended project.

zakila wrote:
It seams to me that if I will have to modify the source of the original editor anyway I might as well make a separate, purpose built one my self.
I think even if you write your own editor, maybe you can still benefit from my work on the tilemap system - most of the moving parts should be very similar, and if all you really want are triangle tiles instead of rectangular ones, you might be able to do this in a custom fork of the "official" tilemap plugins. You can find the current version of the source code in the tilemap-wip branch, but be aware that most of this is heavily under construction and may be subject to change. If you have a fork of the Duality repository, you will already have a local copy of the tilemap code, which you can create a custom branch of.

Otherwise, should you decide to write something from scratch, feel free to use the new tilemap code as a template for writing your own mapping plugins. A lot of the principles should be the same and a lot of that code is cleaner than comparable code fragments from older parts of Duality.

zakila wrote:
Either way I have been very excited to see such a big feature in development! The multi-camera view of a single map looks very cool. I bet it is great to be working on a big piece of the system like this one, I know I always enjoy start/middle of a big project the most.
It certainly has its merits. ^^

PostPosted: 2016/01/15, 15:24 

Role: Hobbyist
Hi Adam, thanks for an excellent answer. After reading through I think I will develop my own editor and system, I'll post in the projects section if it goes anywhere. Good luck at your new job!