game development and casual madness
It is currently 2019/11/20, 22:16

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: 2016/02/08, 17:13 
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Role: Hobbyist
Hey Adam,

why don't you implement some plugins (Particle System, import XML-Files and so on) directly in your editor?

Are there any reason?

So you don't have to install the plugin from the package manager over and over again.
What do you do, if you don't have any internet connection?

Best regards,
Cross

PostPosted: 2016/02/08, 21:10 
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Role: Gamer
First of all, if you don't have an internet connection, you can't even use Duality (if you didn't run it before), because it downloads the most recent packages from NuGet.

PostPosted: 2016/02/08, 22:01 
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Jeah, i know.

What do you do if you are devloping a game and want to develop it further e.g. on your
laptop without any internet connection during a trip.

PostPosted: 2016/02/09, 00:05 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Role: Professional
Hey guys,

first of all, the Package Manager is entirely optional. You can easily opt-out after your first install and Duality is in no way hard-wired to it. Internet is only required for the first start, which usually happens right after it has just been downloaded from the internet - so I don't really see a solid problem here :D

If you're wondering why the download happens after you use the New Project dialog, that's kind of a problem with that specific dialog as it was written back then when there was no Package Manager - and it never learned to deal with it properly. That re-download wouldn't actually be required, I just never got around to really update the New Project dialog since then.

Anyway, the real question here seems to be this:
Cross wrote:
why don't you implement some plugins (Particle System, import XML-Files and so on) directly in your editor?

There are various reasons:

• If everything is directly in the core and editor, it's all up to me to maintain it. I don't have that much time - and even Open Source contributions (Pull Requests) do take a little while to review and iterate upon before they can be merged. User-created packages have a lot less overhead for me.
  • I don't want to be a gatekeeper, but as far as core and editor go, I kind of have to. User-created packages are a different story - they're not "officially" belonging to Duality, entirely optional and explicitly maintained and owned by different people. It's more of a "free market" situation where everyone can offer and users pick what they want.
  • I like modular architectures, so I tried to create one with all the "official" Duality modules, and that concept now extends to user-created ones. If you don't like the Project View I built, just kick it out and install a custom one. The editor won't mind. Do you have a better Object Inspector? Awesome :D Put it in a plugin and release it for everyone! That's the idea.

I hope that makes sense.

If I misunderstood your question and this is really just about the downloading issue, just opt-out of the package stuff and copy around your Duality folder - done! ^^

PostPosted: 2016/02/09, 00:21 
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Merci :)

My question have been answered :)
(Not the downloading issue)