Adam's Lair Forum

game development and casual madness
It is currently 2018/11/18, 13:02

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: 2016/09/05, 21:57 
Novice Member
Novice Member

Role: Hobbyist
So this just started happening on my project.

Whenever I change a script and rebuild it, it either, no matter what I add or subtract from the script.

A.) Clears the scene of all objects and it becomes a process of reloading, rebuilding, over and over until it randomly throws the objects back up there.
B.) Throws a box saying something has modified the scene externally and asks if I want to reload, if I say YES it reloads the scene with no changes, NO does the same.
C.) Actually updates the script and reloads the scene. This happens very rarely now and only after making it redo it several times.

VisualStudio never indicates anything is wrong.

C.) has actually stopped being effective completely since I have been typing this, and doing nothing to anything results in anything except a clear scene and a refusal to update.

I don't get it.

Tried reloading the editor and all the objects in the scene have been deleted and are gone.

-ST

EDIT : I reverted using version control and it works again, and so far adding little throwaway test variables to the scripts hasn't caused any repeats. I guess it was something I ate.

EDIT 2 : To clarify, the calamity began when I added a public GameObject variable to a script, so could have caused an error the compiler didn't catch, but it did not cease when I removed the variable, the component, and the entire script from the project. Once whatever happened took effect, it stuck.

I am now going to learn about how to properly branch a version in TortoiseSVN, my paranoia is spiked. How many branches can I make before it stops looking sane?

:)

PostPosted: 2016/09/13, 15:48 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Role: Professional
This sounds a lot like a corrupted state of some sorts. I'm pretty sure you should see an error in the log view. Golden rule: When there is an error in the log view, fix that first.

Can you provide a list of steps to reproduce this behavior, starting from a fresh project? Also, can you upload / paste the first error that shows up in the log view when the issue started to occur?

Edit:
StupidThunder wrote:
I am now going to learn about how to properly branch a version in TortoiseSVN, my paranoia is spiked. How many branches can I make before it stops looking sane?

:)

Thumbs up for using proper version control btw! That said, every commit is safe, no need to branch extensively. You can always go back as far as you want.