game development and casual madness
It is currently 2020/01/28, 18:16

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: 2015/01/21, 21:11 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Role: Professional
Did the following ever happen to you?

1. Search for some GameObject, select it, because you want to assign a new Material to some Renderer.
  2. Carefully search the Project View for the Material you want to assign.
  3. Do a DragDrop of that Material to the appropriate Property slot in the Object Inspector.
  4. Slip and screw up the dragdrop. The Material gets selected and the Object Inspector loses the Renderer.
  5. Goto 1

Annoying, right? So I thought, if you have a big screen anyway, maybe it would be awesome to optionally have multiple Inspectors, one for Resources and one for GameObjects. That way, you would never lose a GameObject selection, simply because you accidentally clicked into the Project View, and vice versa.

As it turns out, I have already implemented this years ago, but I completely forgot about it and never even used this feature myself. So, I give to you... Multiple Object Inspectors! :D You don't even have to update for this.

Simply click View / Object Inspector multiple times to get more of them. You can have as much as you want and they will dynamically split selection events among them. They don't have fixed roles, but determine which of them is most fitted to react to a selection event, and then only that one switches to the new object.

Edit: Just to be clear, this is not the same as cloning an existing Object Inspector, unless you remove the lock by clicking on that lock icon. The important part here is: Multiple unlocked Object Inspectors actually try to make the best out of it and don't simply show the same stuff.