Adam's Lair Forum

game development and casual madness
It is currently 2020/01/21, 13:23

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: 2015/11/19, 03:07 

Role: Hobbyist
I was continuing with the getting started tutorial when I ran into a bit of trouble. When I was supposed to Build my code in VS, then return to the Duality and create a new Player under ShipOne. However, after building my code, I don't see the dropdown option to create a Player in ShipOne.
I am supposed to go to New/<ProjectName>/Player
Yet I don't see my project name under the New.

I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but when I instead choose Rebuild in Visual Studio, I get an error that says it cannot find Windows.props . Not sure if this has anything to do with it. I looked it up and it is related to Windows Phone/SDK but I downloaded that package and it still will not rebuild. I wouldn't think that would be a problem, but I'm kind of new so maybe...

EDIT: This must have something to do with the Windows.props file or VS 2013 Pro because after downloading VS 2015 Community, I did not get that error and it ran as expected. I'll see about fixing that in VS 2013 Pro and seeing if it works then..

PostPosted: 2015/11/19, 12:35 
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Role: Gamer
Hmm. Weird. Can you give any more information? About the exact error messages?

About the Player component not appearing in the dropdown menu, there can be multiple reasons for that not to happen. However, since you followed the tutorial, I find it unlikely that any of those reasons may apply.
Er, however, just to be on the safe side, you must derive your component from the Duality Component class (or another component) to get it to show up there.

Is it possible for you to upload the entire project (Duality folder, with Source folder) to somewhere from where we can download it and take a look at it?

According to what I'm seeing on the Internet (through Google search) this problem is only applicable for Windows Phone or Windows RT applications. Can you check your Visual Studio build settings for the source code project and check that it is set up correctly?

For one, check whether the source code project has "(Portable)" next to it's name. For example, if the source code project is called "CorePlugin", in Visual Studio it should show up as "CorePlugin (Portable)" in the Solution Explorer.

Check whether the build targets for the project are also set correctly. Duality uses Profile 111, so in the project's properties, in the "Library" section, under "Targeting" the targets should be:
  • .NET Framework 4.5
  • Windows 8
  • Windows Phone 8.1

Even if the problem is solved with VS 2015, it would be nice if we knew what is causing this with VS 2013. We appreciate any help with this.

That's about as much I know. Hope that helps. Maybe someone else knows more about this problem?

EDIT: Oh, and I didn't welcome you to the forum. So, welcome to the forum.

EDIT 2: Also, sorry for the huge text.

EDIT 3: Oh, oh! It seems I might have an idea on why this is happening! Is your Visual Studio 2013 updated to a minimum of Update 3? That could be it! Duality requires that version of VS minimum to be used.
Thanks to this page: http://answers.paradox3d.net/questions/492/build-failure-on-windows-windowprops-not-found.html

PostPosted: 2015/11/19, 14:05 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Role: Professional
theCANDYMAN wrote:
EDIT: This must have something to do with the Windows.props file or VS 2013 Pro because after downloading VS 2015 Community, I did not get that error and it ran as expected. I'll see about fixing that in VS 2013 Pro and seeing if it works then..

hsnabn wrote:
EDIT 3: Oh, oh! It seems I might have an idea on why this is happening! Is your Visual Studio 2013 updated to a minimum of Update 3? That could be it! Duality requires that version of VS minimum to be used.
Thanks to this page: http://answers.paradox3d.net/questions/492/build-failure-on-windows-windowprops-not-found.html

Pretty sure that's it ^^ As Duality is using PCL functionality and a comparatively modern PCL profile (namely profile 111), a rather "new" VS environment is required (2013, Update 3). I don't really see a way around that, but I hope that this problem will solve itself over time, especially since the Community edition of VS is now a freely available equivalent to Professional.