Adam's Lair Forum

game development and casual madness
It is currently 2020/02/25, 03:55

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: 2014/02/03, 03:54 

Role: Hobbyist
Hey guys!

What's it about?
Lyfe is (going to be) a top-down roguelike shooter with a big emphasis on smooth gameplay and extreme resource management. It will feature an infinite range of guns randomly generated in 7 categories, ranging from fast-firing SMG's to rifles for one-hit kills. Melee weapons will play a big part to come, but that'll be implemented a tad later.

Development, whoo!
The game is currently in heavy development with new features added almost daily. You can watch me develop the game on my stream: check me out! I stream as often as I can during working days. Don't be afraid to talk!

Implemented:
Player movement.
Basic gun generation.
Basic gun mechanics.
Wall chipping.
Camera movement.
All kinds of flexible systems.

Controls
WASD = Movement.
Q = Get a new random weapon.
E = Get frenzy useable (increases movement speed and fire rate for 3 seconds).
Spacebar = Use frenzy if acquired.
Right mouse button (hold) = Aim weapon.
Left mouse button (can hold) = Shoot weapon if aiming.

Download(s):
Source: Linka da link.

Some issues:
1. I'd love to share the game, but only giving the game doesn't work for some reason. The game also crashes when I try to debug it with VS. I don't really want to share the source since I want to release it at some point (yep that's right), but since it's so early, I'll share it. I might share the source later on anyway, but hey whatever, you never know ;).
EDIT: I've made a new scene with virtually the same objects and it doesn't crash on that scene. What's going on here? The current scene enabled in the source file is the scene that works. If you want to help me, enable the "Test" scene as starting scene.

2. My alpha values suddenly stopped working correctly. The issue seems to be that it is somehow converting the values to a int, as it switches from 255/1 to 0/0 when it's at the half the highest value (127/0.5f). It worked before but I seem to have done something weird somewhere... It doesn't only happen with my script, it's the same when I try to adjust it by hand.
EDIT: When testing another scene (see 1), the alpha value worked in the debug version, but not in the Duality editor. Again, what's going on here..?

Last edited by Ekibyou on 2014/02/03, 06:07, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: 2014/02/03, 04:01 

Also: during the development of LYFE, I create all sorts of files to create simple effects. I can share them if you guys are interested. They are really handy yet small. A few examples would be object removal after an animation has finished playing, gradual fade then remove the object and an old-skool flashing object remover. (These are only one now, but I'm sure there's more to come haha!)

PostPosted: 2014/02/03, 07:22 

Sounds awesome. I will check this out this week. And maybe I'll try to help with any bug issues.

PostPosted: 2014/02/03, 08:14 

charles wrote:
Sounds awesome. I will check this out this week. And maybe I'll try to help with any bug issues.

Cool, thanks!

PostPosted: 2014/02/03, 13:43 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Role: Professional
Ekibyou wrote:
1. I'd love to share the game, but only giving the game doesn't work for some reason. The game also crashes when I try to debug it with VS. I don't really want to share the source since I want to release it at some point (yep that's right), but since it's so early, I'll share it. I might share the source later on anyway, but hey whatever, you never know ;).
EDIT: I've made a new scene with virtually the same objects and it doesn't crash on that scene. What's going on here? The current scene enabled in the source file is the scene that works. If you want to help me, enable the "Test" scene as starting scene.

I've looked into this and found out that your Scene contains malformed data, most probably due to saving it after some runtime error has occurred that was silently catched. To prevent this in the future, I'd strongly suggest to always keep a look at the LogView (Open via View / Log View) and not save your current Scene when errors have occurred.

In order to allow using affected Scenes like this anyway I've tweaked some code in order to detect this specific kind of malcious data and ignore or repair it. It happens automatically, but will print a warning to your Log. It's already available in the source code repository, but not yet in the binary download.

Ekibyou wrote:
2. My alpha values suddenly stopped working correctly. The issue seems to be that it is somehow converting the values to a int, as it switches from 255/1 to 0/0 when it's at the half the highest value (127/0.5f). It worked before but I seem to have done something weird somewhere... It doesn't only happen with my script, it's the same when I try to adjust it by hand.
EDIT: When testing another scene (see 1), the alpha value worked in the debug version, but not in the Duality editor. Again, what's going on here..?

I noticed that a lot of your Materials use the DrawTechnique.Mask, and that your game doesn't use Antialiazing (Settings / Default User Data). For Materials that use the full spectrum of alpha values, you should switch their Material settings to DrawTechnique.Alpha, as Mask is merely a performant "all or nothing" technique. With Antialiazing active, it will still yield some smooth results, but that shouldn't deceive you of its actual purpose: clipping away transparent regions.

Hope this helps a little :)