Adam's Lair Forum

game development and casual madness
It is currently 2020/02/25, 05:19

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: 2014/11/10, 23:07 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Role: Professional
I've been used to a lot of trouble. Developing a usable multi-purpose game engine is hard enough, even when limiting the scope to the 2D realm. Working on the example project has reminded me that actual Game development is hard, too. Like, really hard.

The whole example game idea sounded like a small thing at first: A small Dual Stick Space Shooter, minimalistic graphics, just a single level and a single enemy type. Easy, right? Haha! xD Oh well..

I've done plenty of games, but there are some pitfalls I just tend to forget about every time. Here's a list of the things that I vastly underestimated in regards to the time and effort they will take:

• Developing a consistent art style. Even if the broad scope / idea is already there.
  • Figuring out how the gameplay will work. What is the players goal, how does he achieve it and what next?
  • Programming game-specific code.
  • Designing levels. How are they structured? What will the player do? Difficulty?
  • Building levels. Where exactly will all the stuff go? Does it look nice? Does it feel right?
  • Playing the game and tweaking the gameplay.
  • Polishing the game in any regard.

So I guess it's a miracle that people actually manage to finish games, and overcome all of the obstacles and roadblocks that come up. Even the simplest ideas sometimes turn out to be wildly time-consuming. Cheers to you all, who are bravely fighting your own game development backlog. You're not alone. Keep it up. :)

But let's go on with the actual news. There's been a lot of progress in the example game recently. I'll just let the images speak. But first, have some background music: Here you go.

First of all, there now are doors:

Gfycat Video - Click to Play. [Source]

Some of them open automatically. Other require you to activate them by placing a rigid object within a certain trigger zone:

You can also shoot them if you like. Won't help, but there are awesome hit particles for bullets now!

Your first encounter with (yet rather defensive) Claymores:

PostPosted: 2014/11/11, 17:43 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Added info panels for flight controls and shaped out the levels background:

It's slowly getting there.

PostPosted: 2014/11/11, 17:59 
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Role: Hobbyist
Looking neat! The background is especially trippy :D

PostPosted: 2014/11/24, 00:30 
Site Admin
Site Admin

That's it. I just wrote the last line of code and integrated the last bits of content. All else from now on will just be ongoing patches to keep the project on par with Duality development. Audio was kind of hard to get right, but I think I've found a way.

As soon as I've upgraded the package management system to support delivering source code along with binaries for educational purposes, I will report back and release this game as a .zip (without editor, which I won't update later) and a package, which will be always up-to-date.

I'm really excited about that release. This project turned out to be a lot more time intensive than planned, but also a lot nicer than planned :)

PostPosted: 2014/11/25, 00:18 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Release Time! :D

Allright, that's it. Until I finally get around to teach Duality how to deliver example source code along with packages, I have uploaded a .zip snapshot of the Example Project >>> here <<<.

It's a playable game for 1 - 2 players using Mouse, Keyboard and / or Gamepads. Let me know what you think! :)

PostPosted: 2014/11/25, 10:27 
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Role: Hobbyist
Really really well done! the controls are smooth and I love how you put the pictures explaining them directly in the game area.

I have to admit the claymores are more vicious than what I thought.. they managed to corner me pretty well a couple of times. I only had time to reach the 4th or 5th room though.. (the one with the big "fake" claymore) so I can't wait to see how they will react further inside the level :D

Kudos :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 2014/11/25, 14:51 
Site Admin
Site Admin

SirePi wrote:
I have to admit the claymores are more vicious than what I thought.. they managed to corner me pretty well a couple of times.

They certainly are! To beat the entire level is a challenge for me too. Tough little guys.

PostPosted: 2014/11/29, 12:55 
Site Admin
Site Admin

It's done. I've added source code deployment support to Duality Packages and uploaded the example project as a Package for everyone to download.

If you've done some basic stuff in Duality but no game yet, you might want to give this a try :) Source code is included, so you can directly mess with all of the games internals, or add your own stuff!