Adam's Lair Forum

game development and casual madness
It is currently 2020/02/25, 05:52

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: 2014/09/23, 17:09 
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Role: Hobbyist
That's amazing :omg: how did you get such complex shapes in the game? (unless they are sprites :mrgreen: )

PostPosted: 2014/09/23, 18:26 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Role: Professional
SirePi wrote:
That's amazing :omg: how did you get such complex shapes in the game? (unless they are sprites :mrgreen: )

They are sprites :mrgreen: - with a SharpAlpha Material to allow them to scale 5x their original size while still maintaining sharp alpha edges. There are other ways, but this was just the most convenient one.

PostPosted: 2014/09/25, 16:57 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Working on a first enemy type.

Doesn't do much, but has a neat blinky eye(dle) animation.

PostPosted: 2014/09/28, 14:28 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Worked a little more on the first enemy. It will be an explosive that sets off when something touches one of its spikes.

They don't extend spikes that are blocked right away, unless the path has cleared. Prevents blowing themselfs up for no reason.

Same goes for being near to each other. They're a careful bunch.

If you are really careful, you can even push them around without setting them off. Just don't touch the spikes.

PostPosted: 2014/09/29, 17:57 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Added a simple AI to those space mines. As soon as the player is near and they have a direct line of sight, they will wake up...

...and start to follow the nearest player. They retract their spikes while flying so they aren't triggered when crashing into something on the way or being shot at.

When approaching their target, they will activate their spikes again right before impact.

If they can't see any target for a certain time, they will go to sleep.

Gameplay-wise they will probably be almost invincible, so the best way to get those space mines out of the way will be to trigger them by making sure they crash into something with their spikes exposed.

PostPosted: 2014/10/03, 15:26 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Worked on a quick and dirty ParticleEffect Component that will be used for mine explosions when it's fully operational.

It may not look like much in the first image, but those particles are actually parallax objects with 3D movement like all the others. They can blast around in all three dimensions.

For small amounts of particles like that, I could also have simply used some sprite objects with a custom Component to scatter them around - but it's also a great opportunity to provide an example on how to implement custom Renderer Components, so I've done that instead.

PostPosted: 2014/10/03, 15:55 
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Role: Hobbyist
Adam wrote:
Worked on a quick and dirty ParticleEffect Component that will be used for mine explosions when it's fully operational.
It may not look like much in the first image, but those particles are actually parallax objects with 3D movement like all the others. They can blast around in all three dimensions.

That's interesting.. mind if I take a peek around? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 2014/10/03, 16:34 
Site Admin
Site Admin

SirePi wrote:
Adam wrote:

That's interesting.. mind if I take a peek around? :mrgreen:

Well, that's basically why I'm doing this :D Here you go.

PostPosted: 2014/10/05, 23:35 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Added an actual explosion effect for the Claymore enemy. Minimalistic as usual.

A single hit will probably kill the player ship, but it doesn't yet. They also emit a slight physical shockwave that pushes away other objects.

Those shockwaves aren't realistic by any means, but at least they're doing a raycast in order to determine which objects will be actually hit.

So far I'm okay with those explosions, but the camera definitely needs a shake animation when hit by them. :D

PostPosted: 2014/10/07, 23:06 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Worked mostly on gameplay logic. Ships now have a hitpoints counter, self-heal, get damaged and die. Claymore mines blow up when damaged too much.

Also, player ships disassemble into small debris when being killed.

Nothing spectacular, but it's progress. I also decided to cut down the scope of the example project, because it's educational use would be lost if it grew too massive to be understood quickly. No main menu, no highscore screen stuff and only a single but playable level: I'll try to get this project as small and packed as possible.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next