Adam's Lair Forum

game development and casual madness
It is currently 2020/02/25, 06:07

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Untitled Beat 'em up
PostPosted: 2015/01/27, 09:05 
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Role: Hobbyist
Adam wrote:
Those enemies need two things:

1. A collision shape, so you can't walk right through them.
  2. Pushback when hit with the sword, so you "feel" the force behind it

Right now, it looks good, but it doesn't yet look like it feels good to hit them. Make the player feel that weight of a sword blow!

The cat is awesome. :D

2. This is done now :P Not in the video though. I also a cam shake when enemies die, just a tiny little shake, but enough for feedback. And then the enemies turn red for a couple of frames when hit as well and the animation freezes for a while so it looks like you actually hit something with the sword.

1. This is a tricky one that I've been avoiding so far. Do you have any good ideas on this? Right now I'm not using the physics anything at all. It's pretty troublesome since 1. I don't want any real physics (altough that is easily tweaked to avoid) 2. Collision needs to be disabled when jumping etc... A rigid body with a rectangle at the feet would probably work tough. Still haven't tested this. I played castle crashers a lot this weekend and one thing that really bugs me about that game is that you kind of get stuck on characters when moving in the world. If there are a lot of enemies on the screen it pretty much becomes an inpenetrable wall :/

PostPosted: 2015/01/27, 11:17 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Role: Professional
I would suggest to try RigidBodies - they can be very helpful at times, and I think there should be a solution for the problems you're encountering. Here are some hints on this:

• Each character should have a circle at hist feet. Circles don't get stuck when walking close past them, they just push each other a little. The circle doesn't need to be as wide as the character is wide, just pick a reasonable size.
  • Make sure to enable FixedRotation in the RigidBody and tweak Restitution and Friction. I would suggest nothing of the first one, and a little bit of the last one. Also, set a fixed Mass for each character and object.
  • For non-physical character controls, you can either just set the linear velocity of each RigidBody, or you could do something like this for a "smoother" integration with physics:
    Code:
    body.ApplyWorldForce((targetVelocity - body.LinearVelocity) * 2.0f);

You will have to experiment a little on this matter, though.
  • For hit-checks, etc. you could use a RigidBody.Raycast or a RigidBody.QueryRectGlobal, the last one only for a quick pre-selection of objects to filter through yourself.
  • When jumping, flying, etc. you can set the jumping objects CollisionCategory to something other objects do not collide with. Just use one of them as an "in air" category.
  • Make sure to always place RigidBody shapes for all objects at their respective ground level. A flying arrow for example would be displayed well above ground while the shape (small circle sensor at the front) should be that point on the ground level where the arrow would be if it wasn't flying.

Even if you don't want an object to be solid (regarding that impenetrable enemy wall), you can always use sensor shapes to only get collision detection.

Of course, I can't promise you that your specific game will be easier to handle with RigidBodies, but I wouldn't dismiss them either while you're still in the testing phase. Might save you a lot of work later!

PostPosted: 2015/02/02, 17:23 
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

I just drew some new stuff and made some progression with "fighting scenes" and a boss :)

PostPosted: 2015/02/02, 17:37 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Nice work :D

The "tackle" move when jumping on those scorpions seems to have a nice feedback! Also, hitting enemies looks a lot better I think, maybe it's just me but it looks like they're really "taking a hit" visually now. The sandstorm is a nice touch and I also like that nice rewarding "pling" when collecting coins!

Sometimes though, the "swoosh" sound when swinging the sword appears to be out of sync..? Or maybe the swing animation is stopped due to being overwritten by walking, but the sound still plays? Something along those lines maybe, I can't quite put my finger on it. Hit and swing sounds may be a bit off in some cases.

Edit: Btw., is that Spine, or the old system?

PostPosted: 2015/02/02, 18:27 
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Adam wrote:
Nice work :D

The "tackle" move when jumping on those scorpions seems to have a nice feedback! Also, hitting enemies looks a lot better I think, maybe it's just me but it looks like they're really "taking a hit" visually now. The sandstorm is a nice touch and I also like that nice rewarding "pling" when collecting coins!

Adam wrote:
Sometimes though, the "swoosh" sound when swinging the sword appears to be out of sync..? Or maybe the swing animation is stopped due to being overwritten by walking, but the sound still plays? Something along those lines maybe, I can't quite put my finger on it. Hit and swing sounds may be a bit off in some cases.

Sounds are triggered by events on the animations. Some of them are not tweaked that much, just added sounds :P

Adam wrote:
Edit: Btw., is that Spine, or the old system?

It's both, the player is my own and the scorpion is using spine.

Anyways, thanks for all the feedback!

Post subject: Update, Multiplayer
PostPosted: 2015/02/05, 15:37 
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

I've just started working on multiplayer. Also, animated palmtrees :)

Gfycat Video - Click to Play. [Source]

PostPosted: 2015/02/05, 16:06 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Uhh, nice! Local Co-Op? Local Versus? Any ETA on when it's couch-ready for some first playtests? :D

PostPosted: 2015/02/06, 09:03 
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Adam wrote:
Uhh, nice! Local Co-Op? Local Versus? Any ETA on when it's couch-ready for some first playtests? :D

Local Co-Op :)
I guess it's ready when it's ready. I have a full time job aside so I work when I can. But I should have something playable in a month or so I think.

Post subject: Update - Alpha Demo
PostPosted: 2015/02/10, 12:18 
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

I thought it would be a good time to let some people try out the game.

Here's a very short peek at what it might become. There are tons of bugs, problems and it might not even be possible to complete the level because of them. But give it a try and let me know what you think of it :)

Note: A Gamepad is required, I have only tested with Xbox 360 & Xbox One controllers so far. Also make sure that you only have one pad connected, otherwise it may not work.

Here's a pic of the level you'll be trying out.

And a link to the download file -> Edit: removed link... there was a lot of thrash in it. Uploading a new one soon.

Good luck :)

Last edited by skoggy on 2015/02/10, 14:05, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 2015/02/10, 12:54 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The first two-or-so seconds look awesome, but I can't get any further. There seems to be some kind of problem with graphics.

At first, the whole program was shut down by my NVidia driver, prompting me with a message box that "the program is using features beyond my hardware capabilities", and then, after updating my driver, it started, but was so slow (2-3 FPS) that it seems obviously to fall back on software rendering. :S

Now, I don't know what exactly you do to trigger this, but usually it's some shader, and maybe a RenderTarget format or similar. I've uploaded my logfile and perflog, so you can have a look at my hardware and performance data.

Maybe you can create a minimal standalone program that uses your Rendering setup (Rendertargets, Shaders, ...) with a test Scene (mostly empty) and upload it somewhere so me and others can test it on their machines and see if we can isolate the problem?

By the way, did you use the export feature of the editor for your .zip file? If so, you have discovered a new bug, because it didn't ignore the hidden .git directory. :D Will fix this ASAP.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next