Adam's Lair Forum

game development and casual madness
It is currently 2020/02/25, 04:04

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

What kind of Resources should there be?
1. As it is planned: Ships, Mines, Technology, Money and Buildings 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
2. Get rid of Buildings, use Money as Units Cap 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
3. No Buildings and Money: Population is the way 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
4. Population and Production, let the people manage the distribution 80%  80%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 5
PostPosted: 2015/04/16, 17:06 
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Role: Hobbyist
Hello everyone :mrgreen:

I have reached a point in the development of BrokenGalaxy where I am torn between a number of different approaches...

in my original view, the resources produced were:
  • Ships (used basically for attacking and colonization)
  • Mines (used to defend your systems)
  • Technology (used to unlock player-wide upgrades)
  • Money (used to buy buildings to upgrade single planets)

Now, I feel that Money is too "weak" as it is, and once you build what you need, it would become just a useless resource.
In addition, I fear that building management would introduce also an unnecessary micro-management layer where I wanted the game to be more "light-hearted" in the 4X spirit.

So I have been thinking and, after a while, I came up with the following possible solutions:
  1. Keep on going as it is planned and see what happens (Building and Money)
  2. Remove Buildings and make the maximum number of available Ships dependent on the Money available (something like maintenance costs)
  3. Remove Buildings and Money, and introduce Population - Population increases on its own until a maximum value is reached, and Ships, Mines and Technology production is scaled accordingly with the amount of people available on the planet. At the same time, Ships become more expensive to produce and only one is necessary to colonize a new Planet (5 for a new System) in order to make the choices more meaningful.
  4. Introduce Population and replace Ships, Mines and Technology with a single Production value, and allow the player to reconfigure the output between Ships, Mines and Technology.

Personally, I am thinking of going with options 3 or even 4 here, but I am interested in hearing your opinion. Keep in mind that I plan to keep the game quick, where a single game with a small map should be able to be completed in less than 10-15 minutes.

So besides voting in the poll, if you have any other ideas, feel free to post it :D

Thanks!

PostPosted: 2015/04/16, 18:59 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Role: Professional
I think, 3 and 4 sound pretty good. If you manage to pull off 4 without introducing micro-management, I'd prefer that one :D

Maybe there should be an option to "automate" setting the output configuration on a per-planet basis, so you can customize it, but you don't have to. Automating could take the number of jumps to the front line and the current amount of each Resource as a basis for deciding the current configuration.

Now that I think about it: Maybe that should be the default, and customizing could be simplified to selecting one Resource to be produce exclusively. Super-easy and still meaningful.

PostPosted: 2015/04/18, 15:44 
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Role: Hobbyist
Hmm.. thanks everyone for the input :D

after checking the poll, Adam's post and thinking a little more, I think I will do like this:

Each planet have will have a Production value, which is dependent on its Population (and eventual Upgrades).
A planet can have its production set to Balanced, Construction, or Research, which means that the Production will be split 50/50, 100/0 or 0/100 between Ships and Technology. Mines will be produced automatically once the relative Upgrade is unlocked.

One thing I was afraid of about going in this direction, was that Planet Type would no longer be meaningful, but I think I can manage it by giving a different multiplier for conversion.
For example, a Terran planet will have a 1x/1x multiplier, meaning that Ships and Technology will be converted 1:1 from the Production allocation.
On the other hand, a Volcanic planet will have something like 1.25x/0.75x, meaning that Volcanic planets are better suited for Ships construction, but still you could use it for Technology if you so desire.

This kind of streamlining also will allow me to introduce planetary modifiers without too much of a hassle :) so you might have a planet with, for example, Rare Mineral Compounds which would then boost its Technological production, or a Irradiated Surface which could halve all Production made.

I'll try to put something together in the next days and see what happens.

Thanks again :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 2015/04/18, 16:39 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Role: Professional
SirePi wrote:
One thing I was afraid of about going in this direction, was that Planet Type would no longer be meaningful, but I think I can manage it by giving a different multiplier for conversion.

One other idea would be to let different planet types have different values for population growth and maximum population, with regard to their size. If this is not already planned :D

Planetary modifiers sound like a really cool idea.