game development and casual madness
It is currently 2020/02/25, 04:20

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: 2015/07/30, 00:28 
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Role: Gamer
Spacebar Florida

Yeah, it's not the best name but for now it's what I'm going with.
This is a prerelease version of the game, which I hope I will eventually complete, to give out a taste of the basic game mechanics.
Google Drive download link on this TIGSource thread: Spacebar Florida Playtesting
Please leave any thoughts and suggestions here!
Game uses music from Eric Matyas, whose site I found from here! The full credits for the game are included in the Readme.txt located in the Readme folder, which also contains the game's controls.

Here's a much better, more extensive gameplay video: YouTube

Here's the images, click to show the full image:

Last edited by hsnabn on 2015/09/15, 12:07, edited 8 times in total.

PostPosted: 2015/07/30, 02:25 
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Can you show some screenshots?

PostPosted: 2015/07/30, 18:43 
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

RockyTV wrote:
Can you show some screenshots?

Working on it! The internet subscription was down today and it was just paid off. I'll look into uploading some screenshots.

PostPosted: 2015/07/30, 18:53 
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Role: Hobbyist
Lol, very nice ^^

I managed to clear one room but I always get killed from the guys in the second one :troubled:

Just one thing that bugs me, is that I feel that the bullets move way too fast (though I guess from the title you are trying to go for a "Hotline Miami" kind of game? I never played it :D) while you move sooo slowly in combat mode.

Anyway, great job for the first release :mrgreen: keep up!

PostPosted: 2015/07/30, 19:01 
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Just uploaded some screenshots!
SirePi wrote:
Lol, very nice ^^
I managed to clear one room but I always get killed from the guys in the second one :troubled:
Just one thing that bugs me, is that I feel that the bullets move way too fast (though I guess from the title you are trying to go for a "Hotline Miami" kind of game? I never played it :D) while you move sooo slowly in combat mode.

Thanks! I thought about the bullet's speed, and I plan to do some dodging feature sort of like the Matrix, and I'm thinking of toning the speed down too. The difficulty is quite high, I agree, but when the dodging and hopefully some of the other features I have planned make it in it should be a relative cakewalk.
And yes, I am going for a Hotline Miami-ish theme.

PostPosted: 2015/07/30, 20:16 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Role: Professional
Congrats to the first release! Releasing is hard - keep it up :)

Just gave it a quick run and one thing that really bothers me is the control scheme. I'm accustomed to WASD representing actual screen directions - like W always being "up" and A being "left". Having this mapped relative to the player characters looking direction is confusing and I often end up walking somewhere I didn't intend to. :D Maybe it's just me, but I'd give this another thought.

PostPosted: 2015/07/30, 20:44 
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Adam wrote:
Congrats to the first release! Releasing is hard - keep it up :)
Just gave it a quick run and one thing that really bothers me is the control scheme. I'm accustomed to WASD representing actual screen directions - like W always being "up" and A being "left". Having this mapped relative to the player characters looking direction is confusing and I often end up walking somewhere I didn't intend to. :D Maybe it's just me, but I'd give this another thought.

Thanks for the feedback!
I'll look into making it that way - it's been on my mind as well.

PostPosted: 2015/07/31, 00:51 
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Double post here, but does anyone know of a way to make level creation, well, easier?
The level in the prerelease was quite hard to rig together, with the rigidbodies for walls and even the doors were quite hard.
Could you guys share some tips or tools to make it easier?

PostPosted: 2015/07/31, 07:28 
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Role: Hobbyist
Difficult to say.. it all depends on how your workflow is and how much variation you want in your levels.

Maybe you could prepare a number of square "tiles" as Prefabs, some empty, some with a wall, wall-and-door, corner etc... that you can then combine together to make your level geometry?

PostPosted: 2015/07/31, 10:30 
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

SirePi wrote:
Difficult to say.. it all depends on how your workflow is and how much variation you want in your levels.
Maybe you could prepare a number of square "tiles" as Prefabs, some empty, some with a wall, wall-and-door, corner etc... that you can then combine together to make your level geometry?

Hmm... I'll look into how I could do that. Right now I am using just a single .png image that is the level, and putting a rigidbody on the level object.
The part that is hard is actually the rigidbodies, but I think I can make "cutouts" of walls and such, with different sizes etc.