Adam's Lair Forum

game development and casual madness
It is currently 2020/02/23, 22:47

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: 2016/02/02, 19:00 

Role: Hobbyist
I have already made a game using Java, but as a lot of people told me, java is not a good platform for games, so i'm trying to reproduce the entire thing i have done by now in the Duality, this is a video of some gameplay of my game (made in java) :

(Yes, the game is in Portuguese because actually i'm from brazil and i'm making a game so brazillian people can play, but of course i'll make an english version as soon as i finish it)

PostPosted: 2016/02/02, 19:43 
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Looks neat, can't wait to see how it will turn out in Duality ^^

Good luck!

PostPosted: 2016/02/02, 22:07 
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Role: Gamer
That game looks nice, can't wait to have a playable demo!

PostPosted: 2016/02/02, 22:25 
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Hey, that looks good!
The cartoon face in the middle reminds me of Doom, and the overall visual style kind of makes me smile (in a good way, I love it). Do you plan changing the face's graphic, according to the player's health?

Good luck with the project! :]

PostPosted: 2016/02/03, 19:16 

loeller wrote:
Hey, that looks good!
The cartoon face in the middle reminds me of Doom, and the overall visual style kind of makes me smile (in a good way, I love it). Do you plan changing the face's graphic, according to the player's health?

Good luck with the project! :]

yes! on the java version it actually works, when i take damage the face below changes as the following sprite sheet:
but in the video i didnt show because the player dont take damage, but i actually have the demo version released in this link but as i have said in the post, java is not a good platform for game development, so it may simply dont open (though that can be fixed sometimes by extractin the .jar and .bat from the exe and running any of them)

PostPosted: 2016/02/14, 15:16 
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Well, the .EXE didn't really work for me, but after extracting it with WinRAR, the .jar file worked like a charm. No performance issues either.
Played through the game, unfortunately I didn't get the story (was it a prison escape?), and wasn't sure, that the last level I got to, is really the end (it was the one with the family house).
Again, the visual art is kind of funny in a good way, but the gameplay is lack of some sort of variation IMO.

PostPosted: 2016/02/15, 19:28 

loeller wrote:
Played through the game, unfortunately I didn't get the story (was it a prison escape?)

Well, this was supposed to be a hangar inner secret corridors built to "trap" you, because someone kind of hates you very much (we are still developing the story), but the level art was mostly third-party images, that i used just to see how cool the game was, but i'm currently searching for someone who can redraw the maps from scratch so i wont be bothered by people saying that i "stole their art"

loeller wrote:
and wasn't sure, that the last level I got to, is really the end (it was the one with the family house).

Well, after that house, you were supposed to go back from the place you came, and then the credits would roll out and the game would go back to menu (or simply crash, who knows :rolleyes: )

but afterall i'm currently working on the story, the 2nd level should be a car-driver upview (like gta 2) thing, then back to top shooter, and different types of gameplay through the whole game

PostPosted: 2016/02/15, 22:26 
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

RotcivOcnarb wrote:
the 2nd level should be a car-driver upview (like gta 2) thing, then back to top shooter, and different types of gameplay through the whole game

That's also cool, but what I thought in the first place was just a little variation to the existing gameplay. More guns, if you will. :D