Adam's Lair Forum

game development and casual madness
It is currently 2018/07/17, 07:27

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: 2017/08/29, 16:22 

Role: Hobbyist
I will change Wire to iterate over loaded assemblies. I looked in my Plugins folder, there was a copy of Duality as well as a few other .dll's that are also in the main duality folder, I removed those files. I do not know how that would have happened. Thanks for your help Adam and SirePi!

PostPosted: 2017/08/30, 07:02 

I changed Wire to accept a function to resolve Types from type names then changed all usages of Type.GetType to use that. In my Duality project I passed a function which mostly wraps Duality's ResolveType method. Duality was unable to find the type. After some digging I noticed the type was being passed as a sort of partially qualified type name, like the following.
Code:
"DualitySync.Synchronization.SceneChangeInfo, GamePlugin.core"
I guess Type.GetType can parse a type name like this but Duality's type resolver only works with the FullName of a type.

I tried Type.GetType within my Duality plugin and it worked! Maybe it doesn't load an assembly if it is called from inside the right assembly? I am not sure. This might work for now and I could continue work on my project from here but it is not a good solution.

I would like to parse out the FullName from this string and then pass that to Duality but I am not sure how, the type name syntax is very complicated. I will probably look around to see if I can find a way of parsing out the information I need.

Any ideas would be appreciated but this post is mostly just to let interested people know where I have gotten with this problem.

PostPosted: 2017/08/30, 08:04 

I have made some progress, sort of. I wrote the following function to find the FullName from the strange type name Wire was giving me.
Code:
private static string GetFullTypeName(string name)
        {
            int bCount = 0;
            int index = -1;
            for(int i = 0; i < name.Length; i++)
            {
                if(name[i] == '[')
                {
                    bCount++;
                }
                else if(name[i] == ']')
                {
                    bCount--;
                }
                else if(bCount == 0 && name[i] == ',')
                {
                    index = i;
                    break;
                }
            }
            if(index == -1)
            {
                return name;
            }
            else
            {
                return name.Substring(0, index).Trim();
            }
        }

This helped when deserializing the type in question, SceneChangeInfo. Unfortunately serializing a List<SceneChangeInfo> would break the parsing as SceneChangeInfo would be a generic argument of the List. I tried making Wire return a fully qualified type name but Duality's type reflection couldn't figure that out. Probably a combination of parsing out the generic parameters and Assembly.GetType not working with fully qualified types.

I am not sure where to go from here, maybe just remove assembly information from Wire's serialization process so it will work with Duality's parsing? I could also try making a more flexible parser and remove the assembly information on my end. The following code might also work for most scenarios.
Code:
var type = Duality.ReflectionHelper.ResolveType(name) ??
                        Duality.ReflectionHelper.ResolveType(GetFullTypeName(name)) ??
                        Type.GetType(name, throwError);

I think I will probably go with that code segment for now and come back to this later. Type.GetType seems to work without loading assemblies when I call it from my code, it even worked with a type defined by Duality.