game development and casual madness
It is currently 2018/12/18, 16:09

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: 2018/08/29, 01:44 
Novice Member
Novice Member

Role: Hobbyist
Hi all!

I'm new to Duality, only getting started.
I like the component based workflow in Duality a lot especially that we can publish the game with the editor included so we can allow people to MOD our game, which is exactly what I need. It is very fortunate Duality fit my needs in many ways.
What is not so fortunate however is that Duality is Windows only. I know some people managed to compile the games made in Duality for Linux and Mac with some success and wondering if anyone ever had any success with compiling a Duality game for HTML5 with bridge.net? Did the developers of Duality considered trying would it be even possible?

If we could compile a Duality game to HTML5 then we could technically run the game on any platforms including mobile but what I would be more interested in is to create games for Windows with mod support and able to run games in the browser.

Can also consider this a feature request/suggestion.

https://bridge.net/

Thanks.

PostPosted: 2018/08/29, 18:30 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Role: Professional
Hey there, and welcome!

Platform support is a topic that comes up quite often, and I think everyone agrees that every added platform is awesome. While we do have lots of mechanisms in place to make porting and adding platforms as easy as possible, we simply do not have the workforce right now to "build once, deploy everywhere" out of the box on the level of polishing that would be required. That said though:

ddabrahim wrote:
Did the developers of Duality considered trying would it be even possible?

Yes, I'm pretty confident that this should be possible. I don't have any first hand expertise with cross-compiling IL code / .NET assemblies to asm.js or WebAssembly (so take this with a grain of salt), but to my knowledge there's nothing in Duality itself that would rule it out, given the right tools and enough dev time to build the required adapters in backend and, potentially, core. Time being the crucial factor here, don't count on it becoming a feature anytime soon though ^^

If you want to officially file this as a feature proposal, check out the GitHub page of Duality, where we have a button for submitting new feature requests.

PostPosted: 2018/08/29, 19:44 
Novice Member
Novice Member

Role: Hobbyist
Thank you for the reply. I'm sorry to hear that it would be too much work even with bridge.net to compile a Duality game to HTML5, but I'm glad to hear it in theory it should be possible :)