Adam's Lair Forum

game development and casual madness
It is currently 2019/09/17, 15:17

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Duality on a C# course?
PostPosted: 2013/11/19, 19:40 

Role: Professional
Hi Adam and others,

I am teaching C# and object oriented programming and OOAD on an almost beginner's level.

For a course that I run, I would like my students to make an "indie" game as their last assignment, in 2D or maybe 3D. If it's a standalone game or a browser thingy doesn't matter much.

I initially thought of using Farseer physics and Silverlight, but as Silverlight is not developed anymore, I looked elsewhere and stumpled upon Duality (I have also considered Unity, but it seems a bit too large for my purposes).

My question is, would Duality be suitable for my purpose? After all, the course is about OO and C#, not game environments per se. Perhaps the students could start out with a tmeplate, and then add weapons or other objects as OO classes or the like, and maybe even do UML/class diagrams in Visual Studio.

I'm basically thinking that the students should perhaps add some objects graphically, click them and enter some C# code. Preferably, this should also include the OO concept (inheritance and so on), but everything still rather basic.

Am I on the right track?

BTW, I could possibly come up with some money to help future development. Also, we have lots of great coders in more advanced courses who might be able to help out coding the environment as part of their project work.

Duality seems like a great concept, and I have already praised Adam's design decisions at CodeProject.

Love from Sweden,

Pettrer

PostPosted: 2013/11/20, 02:35 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Role: Professional
Hi Pettrer,

first of all, welcome to the forum!

I'm glad to hear that you're considering to use Duality in your courses. It's also a cool idea to use game development for an assignment in object-oriented design - far more motivating than most of the examples I remember from the OOAD courses I've attended myself. You'll have to be careful not to overwhelm half of your attendees, though. Game development can be a huge topic in and of itself.

To prevent this, you should be able to prepare a project template and some interesting example content (graphics, sounds, etc.) for your students to use initially. Something that runs out of the box, so they can get familiar with Duality and its basic concepts before developing on their own. Maybe a reduced "Asteroids", or a simple physical puzzle game. It could also be incomplete on purpose, so their task will be to fill the gap, a puzzle on its own if you will.

I imagine the concepts related to component-based GameObjects to fit in quite well. The cool thing about this in matters of an OOAD course is, that it actually rewards proper design - because clearly separated, reusable Components will quickly prove helpful when flexibility makes the difference between simply re-combining existing Components in the editor; and writing a whole new one all over again. There are also several use cases where Component inheritance makes sense, as well as use cases where custom interfaces are a good way to go.

Of course only you can decide whether Duality will be suitable for your courses, but I don't see a fundamental reason, why it shouldn't - and I'd be thrilled if this worked out!

Quote:
BTW, I could possibly come up with some money to help future development. Also, we have lots of great coders in more advanced courses who might be able to help out coding the environment as part of their project work.

I don't have any running expenses on Duality except for maintaining ad-free community websites, but as I've been pouring a lot of free time into this project for the last three years, I'd be happy to receive donations.

Some capable assistance on the coding side would also be appreciated! If you've got any concrete plans, just let me know and we'll talk this over.